The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 22, 2015, 12:07 PM   #1
Waspinator

Winchester SXP Recall Alert

Not sure if this has been posted, but I figured I would post it here just in case.

Several Winchester SXP models can fire if you rack a shell into the reciever. Even if the safety is on and your hand is away from the trigger.

Recall Here:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/suppor...l-Notice_2.pdf

Here is a video posted several days ago showing the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBX7mEBVOao

Be Safe.
Old April 23, 2015, 10:51 AM   #2
jimpeel

The official Winchester recall notice, with the method of determining if the firearm has already been inspected and repaired, is HERE.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old April 23, 2015, 03:28 PM   #3
mete

I'd like to know the details.Remember that many pump and auto shotguns have safeties that only block the trigger. Out of spec parts or worn parts can fire the gun with safety on !!!
Old April 23, 2015, 09:27 PM   #4
Virginian

I am not aware of any pumps or autos that will fire merely with worn parts. A gun that fires when it wants to rather than when you want it to is a VERY serious problem. In fact it is definitely cause for a recall.
Old April 24, 2015, 01:15 PM   #5
jimpeel

Watch the video that Waspinator posted. In it, the person shows the safety on and he then slams the action shut which fires the weapon. This is known as a "slam fire" for which SKSs are famous. Apparently, the firing pin is stuck in a forward condition which strikes the primer upon closing and fires the round.

The person in the video, after the slam fire, then takes the safety off and pulls the trigger and the hammer falls. This proves that the hammer was still cocked and was not the cause of the unintended discharge.

He then loads another round and slam fires the round thus showing that the problem is repeatable.

He prefaces his demonstration by stating that the firearm is new, he bought it about one week prior at Gander Mountain, and he is the first and only owner. This eliminates any possibility of worn parts.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old April 24, 2015, 02:12 PM   #6
Virginian

It's the old floating firing pin that stops floating. Not that uncommon. There are several potential causes including hardness of parts, bad tolerances, bad design, and dirty. Weatherby currently has a similar issue with some versions of their SA-08s. I have heard that on the Weatherbys the issue is the firing pin is floating too well; it has too much inertia and flies forward hard enough to discharge a round when you let the bolt fly forward loading a round, but I have not examined one myself to verify that. On that SXP the firing pin is obviously stuck. I would have had to tear it down to see if it was design or whatever, but on a gun that new design is the real front runner, followed closely by bad tolerance control.
I commend FN for jumping out there and admitting an issue and issuing the recall.

Last edited by Virginian; April 24, 2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old April 24, 2015, 02:38 PM   #7
Virginian

duplicate
Old April 25, 2015, 09:30 AM   #8
Nickel Plated

The SXP does not have a floating firing pin however. It's spring loaded.
But I agree that the gun seems to be slam firing due to the firing pin hitting the primer when the action closes.
It would be interesting to see the guy try it again but close the bolt very slowly.
So either it's a manufacturing error that's preventing the firing pin from springing back. Or he disassembled the gun then put it together wrong causing the firing pin to stick.
Old April 25, 2015, 10:53 AM   #9
Virginian

I think I have a nomenclature issue. I called it a floating firing pin, but it in fact does have a spring on it. In any event, the firing pin is obviously getting stuck in the forward position. Since they issues a recall I seriously doubt the guy in the video has done anything wrong.