The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 16, 2014, 11:27 AM   #1
loademwell

MEC Sizemaster problem

I cant seem to adjust this thing right. On the final crimp it deeps crushing the shell.... How on earth do you make it not do that?
Old May 16, 2014, 02:29 PM   #2
rg1

Just a couple tips and may help? Use a powder that doesn't take up a lot of space. Heavy loads of flake powder takes more space than a fine grained powder. Increase the wad pressure to 40 or more. Lower your crimp starter a little to turn in the mouth crimp in a little more. Adjust the metal crimp spindle out a little or adjust the cam as per instructions. You shouldn't be having any problems with standard 1 1/8 oz loads but large shot sizes from 6 shot up to 2 shot etc. take up more space and you need more wad pressure on those plus a powder that doesn't take a lot of space. Some new shotgun hulls are finicky and harder to crimp. Winchesters new high speed 2 piece hull is easy to crush while crimping. Sometimes for instance using Remington wads in Winchester hulls just are harder to get right. I suggest using only Remington hulls especially the STS-Nitro hulls and even Remington's Gun Club hulls load well. I'd try not to use Win's new 2 piece hull.
Old May 16, 2014, 02:59 PM   #3
BigJimP

Go back thru your manual ....and adjust your crimp start and the other crimp adjustment settings...

pages 9 - 11 in your manual tell you how to do it....

If you don't have a manual, download it from MEC website...

It takes some patience ...just take your time. Standardize on one hull - and I recommend a Remington STS, Nitro hull in 2 3/4"....stay away from the rest of the hulls out there / not all 12ga hulls can be run with the same settings.
Old May 16, 2014, 08:26 PM   #4
SauerGrapes

Both of the above post are correct. Could be press adjustment, could be wrong component choice.
For instance, I'll use a 1oz wad to load 7\8oz in a Win AA hulls.

R.I.P.____Murphy