The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 12, 2013, 02:53 PM   #1
chaim

Recent craziness has brought me back into reloading

I used to reload for .38spl and .357mag. I didn't want to chase brass so I only reloaded for revolvers. I don't love reloading, I love shooting, so 9mm, .223 and several other calibers were cheap enough that I didn't mind paying a little more to buy factory, and .45ACP and .40S&W wasn't bad either when on sale. When prices went up, between graduate school and work I just didn't have much time to reload or even shoot enough to really worry about it (and I had a fair amount stored anyway).

Recently, I started spending a lot more time at the range again, and I've shot off most of my ammo stash, then the recent craziness happened...Ammo for my .45ACP, 9mm's and AR is pretty much impossible to find. When it is available, if you don't jump immediately, it disappears (and prices can be a bit inflated).

So, I have bought dies for .45LC (I wanted to anyway since it is an expensive revolver caliber). I have bought components to start reloading .38/.357 again. I am also thinking it is time to add calibers other than revolver calibers. I will be buying dies for 9mm and .223 at least, and probably .45ACP, since they seem to be the most likely to experience shortages (the past few ammo shortages have all seemed to hit .45ACP, 9mm and .223 especially hard).

When ammo is available and cheap, I may revert to buying .223 and 9mm factory ammo. However, having a few thousand pieces of brass, bullets, and primers for those calibers will be nice during the next shortage. Brass is mostly recyclable so it will be in loaded rounds, and bullets, primers and powder for a few thousand rounds is cheaper and takes less storage space than a few thousand loaded rounds.
Old January 12, 2013, 03:08 PM   #2
5R milspec

Its a bad time to get back into reloading.The primers and powder even well known bullets are all on backorder.Heck I keep the computer hot just trying to see when I can place an order.

Hate to hear that reloading is a pain to ya.Me I wouldn't change a thing,I love the time away from the family.Plus I end up with ammo that I can count on every time I go hunting or to the range.Not saying that you don't with factory ammo,just rather make me own.Goodluck to your reloading and hope you start to enjoy it better.Maybe the backorder problem will end soon,then we all can enjoy or reloading rooms again.
Old January 12, 2013, 03:33 PM   #3
grubbylabs

I got lucky and wound up buying quite a few things before every one went nuts. I agree now would be a bad time to try and stock up. I would just wait and let things settle then look for bulk stuff you buy if you are only looking to store it for just in case.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old January 12, 2013, 03:43 PM   #4
chaim

I don't mind reloading, I just don't love it. I enjoy it for the first 30min or so, then I'm ready for something else.

Anyway, I still have about 400 small pistol primers for .38spl/.357mag, I have some powder, and plenty of .38spl and .357mag brass. I have about 100 rounds of .45LC brass, and I've ordered another 100 rounds of range ammo to make more brass. I have about 1/2 pound of powder, so I will need to find some more powder. I ordered 1000 large pistol primers for .45LC, 200 .45 bullets, and 250 .38/.357 bullets (just enough bullets to get me started) this morning. I'm about to head out to a gun show and hopefully I can get more powder, and possibly more bullets, while there.

Quote:
I agree now would be a bad time to try and stock up.
I'm not really stocking up right now. I am just buying what I need for my current shooting needs (maybe a little extra when I see something at a decent price). I will be stocking up, and more on reloading components than commercial ammo, in the future when this all blows over.
Old January 12, 2013, 03:48 PM   #5
chaim

Oh, and this thread is accurate in that the current shortages were the final straw on restarting reloading and adding auto calibers and .223. However, I was going to anyway, this just sped it up.

For revolver calibers I wanted to restart just because they are all so expensive now if you want to do a lot of shooting. For auto calibers, I was planning to eventually start reloading for either 9mm or .45ACP because once I started shooting more again, I started thinking about getting into one of the shooting competitions once I finish my masters degree this summer (and thus had more free time). Reloading would make the amount of practice needed for competition more affordable, and it could be better quality ammo.
Old January 12, 2013, 04:51 PM   #6
Lost Sheep

To the O.P.

Two words: Brass Catcher.

Lost Sheep
Old January 12, 2013, 06:24 PM   #7
Ole 5 hole group

Ya, that brass catcher for $60.00 is just fine if shooting from a bench but is a PITA when shooting off-hand.

Primers and powder don't go bad even if you store them rather poorly, so when you're able, just stock-up on components for your type of shooting that will last you a year or two - you'll never regret that decision unless someone steals everything.

You're probably using a single stage press - a progressive can make reloading a lot easier and that press will last a lifetime with minimal maintenance.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:07 PM   #8
grubbylabs

I agree with the progressive idea. It did wonders for my reloading enjoyment. I cast my own bullets for a few pistol calibers and one in rifle so I have a good supply of bullets for those. Its nice to stay a few hundred rounds ahead of my shooting. The progressive makes it very painless.

(Capt Charlie)
Old January 14, 2013, 11:15 PM   #9
chaim

Yeah, I'll probably have to buy a progressive once I have more space. For a while now I've been in an apartment or condo. My current reloading press is a Lee Hand Press. Better than the little single caliber reloaders Lee makes, but still not the easiest and quickest way to reload. But, until I have more room, it really is my best option. I suppose it is possible that I will find I love reloading in a couple years when I buy a house or townhouse and am able to have a full reloading bench set up with a nice progressive press.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:38 PM   #10
grubbylabs

Having a full bench will make a big difference.

(Capt Charlie)
Old January 15, 2013, 02:42 PM   #11
Justified

15 Year Old Brass Retriever

My 15 year old is a great brass retriever. He knows if he wants to shoot he has to grab every piece of brass he can. What we don't use we can always trade.

Justified