The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 25, 2012, 10:28 PM   #1
GunXpatriot

Hi-Point Pistols: Good for the money?

Well here's my dilemma. Well, I shouldn't say "mine" per se. It's actually my Grandfather's dilemma. Anyway, the local police have gun buy-backs once in a while. About once a month, usually. He just so happens to have a gun that is technically illegal from many years ago and we recently came across it. We were talking about this today, and in the last gun buy-back, they were giving $200 cash in-hand to anyone who turned in an illegal gun.

The gun he has happens to be an old .25 acp "Saturday Night Special". It's worth next to nothing in it's current form. I've seen this gun on Gunbroker for $50. Seriously. Enter Hi-Point. When we found out about Hi-Point, we were intrigued. We could actually get what appeared to be a "decent" gun simply for trading in a near-worthless Saturday Night Special.

Is a Hi-Point any good? Let's be honest. Please do not bash the gun without any reason as to why. Good or bad experiences, they all help in deciding on one of these. "Problems" I've seen so far is that they are clunky, sometimes have feeding issues, although that seems to dissapear with a break-in, and overall not the greatest quality to ever be manufactured. As an alternative, we were eyeing a bunch of other handguns. Some of these examples include the Ruger LC9, Ruger LCR, Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911, those types of pistols. At that point, we were kinda down to .38special/.357Mag, 9mm, or .45 acp. Those seemed to be things we were looking for.

Now, please note, these pieces are more than twice the price of any Hi-Point pistol. So, I guess "Million dollar question" or in this case the $200 question. Is a Hi-Point right for our current situation as explained above? Thanks so much guys!
Old January 25, 2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Muad' Dib

Look, you're going to inundated with very young, or very inexperienced shooters raving about the "Hi-Point" line up. Truth is that they are neck and neck with the Ruger P-95, as most likely to turn up at the crime scene!

IMO, they are simply modern zip guns, with few redeeming virtues, other then the fact that yes, they will fire! They are constructed of castings(much like Ruger's)and they are very likely grossly overpriced at even $130.00 or so!

My advice to you is simple, you can buy NIB Glock's, M&P's, CZ's, and even some Sig's right at, or just under the $500.00 mark! Why waste $200.00 on a true piece of junk, when for just a few hundred more you can land yourself a very fine sidearm that will quitely likely outlast you....My two cents...
Old January 25, 2012, 10:57 PM   #3
Acerdog

I own a Hi-point 9 mm and have put 1000+ rounds thru it no problems.
Old January 25, 2012, 11:08 PM   #4
GunXpatriot

Thank you guys for your feedback! Keep 'em coming!
Old January 25, 2012, 11:11 PM   #5
Walt Sherrill

They're basically sound guns. People hate them because of how they look, but they tend to go bang when the trigger is pulled, and can be quite accurate.

You'll see discussions here and on other forums -- with MANY attacking the guns, and a number of other responses -- by people who actually own them -- speaking quite positively. They're heavy and awkward, but they generally do what they're supposed to do. They have excellent warranties.

The Hi-Points are cheap and that is their main attraction. For maybe an extra $100, you can often find a used gun that is quite good and if you ever want to upgrade to a better quality gun -- very likely, given that you're participating here -- you'll be able to sell the non-Hi-Point used gun for close to what you have in it, and that is not likely to be the case with the Hi-Point.

Your best course of action is to save until you have $250 - $300 and then ask the forum for the best deals in that price range. There are MANY guns that are quire good available for $300 or less. Sometimes a lot less.
Old January 25, 2012, 11:11 PM   #6
bqglock

I just watched this youtube vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoWp...eature=related you will be impressed for 150$
Old January 25, 2012, 11:25 PM   #7
KC Rob

I have given up trying to rationally discuss Hi-Point guns with the Hi Point apologists who are sure to be here soon, but I feel that every thread about Hi-Points should be required to have a picture of one in it. It is much harder to sing their praises when you are staring at one. The only problem is that it is hard to get a good picture of one because the cheap plastic shines like chrome!

Old January 25, 2012, 11:26 PM   #8
sigarms228

It is all in ones perspective and what they want out of a pistol. If you just want something that usually goes bang and that is about the only priority then it may be a good value.

If you are a shooting enthusiast and want to get the most out of your shooting skills, be the best you can be with a pistol, and have among the most reliable pistols then no. That would be the category I am it

Some people will say that at $49 lawn mower at Walmart is a good value while others say that the $400 Honda lawn mower at Home Depot is a good value.

Some people will say that a $9 drill at Harbor Freight is a good value while others will say that a $129 Milwaukee Magnum drill is a good value.

Some people say that the $399 50 inch TV at Walmart is a good value while others will say that a $1200 Panasonic Viera Plasma TV is a good value.

Last edited by sigarms228; January 25, 2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old January 25, 2012, 11:36 PM   #9
jhgreasemonkey

Quote:
Look, you're going to inundated with very young, or very inexperienced shooters raving about the "Hi-Point" line up. Truth is that they are neck and neck with the Ruger P-95, as most likely to turn up at the crime scene!

IMO, they are simply modern zip guns, with few redeeming virtues, other then the fact that yes, they will fire! They are constructed of castings(much like Ruger's)and they are very likely grossly overpriced at even $130.00 or so!

My advice to you is simple, you can buy NIB Glock's, M&P's, CZ's, and even some Sig's right at, or just under the $500.00 mark! Why waste $200.00 on a true piece of junk, when for just a few hundred more you can land yourself a very fine sidearm that will quitely likely outlast you....My two cents...
What in the world? First of all Hi-point uses a die cast zinc pot metal or "Zymac". Rugers investment casting uses high grade carbon alloys and stainless alloys. Rugers castings have proven to have equal strength to forgings. They are in no way similar to the Hi-point pot metal or other zinc guns. It's a different metal completely. And I have to ask about the crime scene statement. Can you show us some stats to back it up?

To the OP. Before you get lost in bad information, high points are cheap, nothing special and contain some low quality materials that make up the slide, but you will meet some experienced shooters on this very forum who have a wide array of firearms who bought a high point for curiosity sakes and they usually end up liking them.

Last edited by jhgreasemonkey; January 25, 2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old January 25, 2012, 11:52 PM   #10
GunXpatriot

I watched that vid too, as well as the others. Pretty impressive for so much punishment, to be honest. I guess that if anything, it's a good "beat it within an inch of it's life" type gun. Let the feedback continue
Old January 26, 2012, 12:12 AM   #11
Cheapshooter

GunXpatriot, The search feature on the toolbar above is your friend. Lots of Hi-Point threads with tons of pro and con. Some get closed because there have been those who can't help but insult anybody that dares speak up in favor of Hi-Points.
Read the posts, watch all the videos. Not just the 4 or 5 trying to blow one up, but also those made by TFL member Wildbill 45 showing some amazing accuracy.
Then make up your mind.

Oh, by the way.
Quote:
but you will meet some experienced shooters on this very forum who have a wide array of firearms who bought a high point for curiosity sakes and they usually end up liking them.
That's me!! Well said.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 26, 2012, 12:27 AM   #12
Muad' Dib

Re: post #9

Quote:
The top 10 guns used in crimes in the U.S. in 2000, according to an unpublished study by U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and obtained exclusively by TIME:

1. Smith and Wesson .38 revolver
2. Ruger 9 mm semiautomatic
3. Lorcin Engineering .380 semiautomatic
4. Raven Arms .25 semiautomatic
5. Mossberg 12 gauge shotgun
6. Smith and Wesson 9mm semiautomatic
7. Smith and Wesson .357 revolver
8. Bryco Arms 9mm semiautomatic
9. Bryco Arms .380 semiautomatic
10. Davis Industries .380 se

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...#ixzz1kXTxHtTW
Gleened from Time Magazine...
Old January 26, 2012, 12:31 AM   #13
Muad' Dib

Quote:
What in the world? First of all Hi-point uses a die cast zinc pot metal or "Zymac". Rugers investment casting uses high grade carbon alloys and stainless alloys. Rugers castings have proven to have equal strength to forgings. They are in no way similar to the Hi-point pot metal or other zinc guns. It's a different metal completely. And I have to ask about the crime scene statement. Can you show us some stats to back it up?
Both firearms are built from castings, which is exactly what I said...The Ruger P-series 9mm pistols were 2nd on the list in 2000....
Old January 26, 2012, 12:32 AM   #14
xGlockmeisterx

hi point reply

I own two hi points, one in 380 and the other in 45. i have to say that for the price they are very good pistols and my 45 is very accurate. i bought them to have a good reliable pistol that i can carry with me when i'm fishing and to keep in the glove box and not worry about getting the finish of my more expensive pistols tore up, if it is really possible to tear up the finish on one of them. the finish kind of resembles bed liner. the main thing to do with the gun is to put a rubber one piece grip on it to add better feel and looks to the gun. i hope this helps, you can't really go wrong with these pistols.
Old January 26, 2012, 01:57 AM   #15
deerslayer303

Ditto, to the above post. I have one and I like it. It goes fishing with me always, its Damn accurate, and pretty reliable. You will always have your Hi Point haters, and I've made a few buddies hate them even more at the range I say buy it!
Old January 26, 2012, 02:03 AM   #16
TennJed

I have never shot a Hi-Point, but I picked up a used Makarov for $199 OTD a couple of months ago. You might consider looking into them (or the CZ 82 for a similar price). IMHO the best gun for $
Old January 26, 2012, 02:56 AM   #17
raftman

Quote:
I have never shot a Hi-Point, but I picked up a used Makarov for $199 OTD a couple of months ago. You might consider looking into them (or the CZ 82 for a similar price). IMHO the best gun for $
This is good advice.

The Hi-Point works, can be quite reliable and accurate, but is ultimately a rather impractical gun. It's certainly too bulky to be carried, and is quite heavy, especially relative to the caliber/capacity. There is also some debate as to whether a single-action, striker-fired handgun is safe to carry with a round chambered. Basically, the only applications you're left with is plinking and maybe home defense.

If you look at a Makarov, CZ-82, or any of the other ex-Eastern Bloc surplus pistols, you'll find they're ultimately much better weapons and can often also be had for $200 or less. Better quality, more compact, safe to carry with a loaded chamber, without giving up in any way in the areas of accuracy and reliability.
Old January 26, 2012, 03:02 AM   #18
GunXpatriot

Yeah, I'm liking that suggestion for a Makarov. I was going to go for the 9mm with Hi-Point, so, since the 9x18 Makarov is "basically" just as good, why not?
Old January 26, 2012, 05:23 AM   #19
Sport45

I'd rather have a Hi-Point than the gun you're talking about trading in to buy one.

Consider what it will cost to feed whatever you buy. 9x19 is plentiful and about the least expensive centerfire handgun ammo out there.
Old January 26, 2012, 06:23 AM   #20
Walt Sherrill

rE: The photo above. It's more an inept photographer than a slick, shiny plastic that is made obvious in THAT photograph.

Someone always complains about how UGLY the Hi-Points are. They are, but they're not unique... Here's a Springfield that seems similar.

Separated at birth? <snort!>

Old January 26, 2012, 07:36 AM   #21
Hal

Quote:
Anyway, the local police have gun buy-backs once in a while. About once a month, usually. He just so happens to have a gun that is technically illegal from many years ago and we recently came across it. We were talking about this today, and in the last gun buy-back, they were giving $200 cash in-hand to anyone who turned in an illegal gun.
Turn in the POS.
Buy a Hi -Point.
Shoot it for a month,
Turn it in for $200.00
Buy another.
Shoot it for a month.
Turn it in for $200.00
Buy another.
Shoot it for a month..etc...

@ the end of a year, buy a better gun w/the profits..
Old January 26, 2012, 08:17 AM   #22
deerslayer303

Yeah that IS good advice on the Makarov (CZ82) , I've been wanting to buy one for sometime. They also have POLYGONAL rifling. But J&G sells some that have brand new barrels on them and I think they are chambered for 380 instead of 9X18 MAK
Old January 26, 2012, 08:34 AM   #23
sigarms228

Seriously?

I suppose these two look similar to you also?? Separated a birth??

Old January 26, 2012, 08:37 AM   #24
Skans

I see them selling at gun shows in the $150 range. At that price, I'd say that Hi-Point is NOT a good value. For a little more money, you can find much better quality used guns. You'll have at least $150 into a Hi-Point 9mm even if you find one on gunbroker after you account for shipping and transfer.

This is not a comment on whether they work or not - just whether I think they are a good value. Also, used Hi-Points are hard to sell and you won't get much for them.

When I can find a nice used Ruger all stainless P89 for roughly $200 - $250, I see absolutely no sense in paying $150 for a Hi-Point 9mm.

Now, if you can find a good used Hi-Point for $50 - go for it - that would be a decent value. To me, Hi-Points are the lowest-priced handgun that works for people who don't want to spend the time educating themselves to the variety of better quality used guns that sell around the same price point.

Last edited by Skans; January 26, 2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old January 26, 2012, 08:37 AM   #25
KMAX

Bad News

Bad news for a lot of you. I guess Smith & Wessons are junk too. According to Maud' Dib's list above they took place #1,6, & 7 of guns most likely to turn up at crime scenes. This is apparently how Maud classifies quality. I might be willing to take some of that S&W junk off your hands, at a discounted price of course. Haha. I missed Hi-Point on the list. Gotta go back and reread it.

Last edited by KMAX; January 26, 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
200 , hi-point , money , pistol