The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 20, 2011, 06:38 AM   #1
rick35ovi

Bring this back from the dead!

I want to bring this rifle back from the dead, my Question is the stock seems to be very dry and the old finish is in pretty rough shape and the wood seems to have shrunk but i would like to keep it, is there a way to restore these without hurting the value? what should i do to fill and stabilize the cracks? The pics i have for it are just what the auction hose sent to me of it, i do not have it in hand yet and will try and post better pics when i get it.

http://s898.photobucket.com/albums/a...arget%20rifle/

Last edited by rick35ovi; November 20, 2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old November 20, 2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Uncle Buck

Rick,

That looks really nice. Don't jump too fast though when you get started. If you want to maintain the authenticity of the rifle and the whole package, do a lot more research.

The only guns I have ever worked on to restore, I have ruined any historical and therefor $$$$$ value of it. One I really have to kick myself in the head over would have been worth quite a bit of money if I had left it alone.

Removing rust and grime should be a slow, slow process. If it is not going fast enough, you are probably doing it correctly. Swelling and repairing cracks are a sience.

I wish I could tell you how to do it, but I can only tell you how not to do it.
Old November 20, 2011, 08:43 AM   #3
Hawg

Looks like a Tryon. It's a fine line between removing rust and removing patina. It should prolly be left alone as far as any restoration is concerned. Clean it up and halt any further deterioration yes.
Old November 20, 2011, 10:52 AM   #4
Pahoo

Far from dead; Just not getting out much

What a beauty and I'd like to see pictures of the buttstock. As others have mentioned, you would not believe how much good you will do by a deep cleaning. Slightly difficult to sort the cracks from scratches. Brownell makes a special glue specifically for cracks that you don't have to open the crack to apply. What you are mostly seeing, is layers of dirt, hand-oils and lubricants. At the first layer is where you will find the original finish. Get down to it or close and stop at the finish and even leave a little dirt. Go layer buy layer and go slow.
Congratulations on your find as it soon will be in better hands .....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 20, 2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Wyosmith

Rick, I have been doing restoration work for many years and I have work in museums all over the USA and in many other countries. If you'd like I will gladly coach you on this project. Contact me directly and I'll go through the steps you need to take one at a time so you don't do something you can't reverse and that you'll regret.
Before you do ANYTHING, consider that stabilization and restoration is NOT the same as refinishing or refurbishing.
If you refinish that rifle you are going to reduce its value about 80% !!!!!!!

Go slow, and think about every step and what will need to happen after each step. It’s easy to "paint yourself into a corner" if you do this kind of thing wrong.
Old November 20, 2011, 11:59 AM   #6
oldwheat

I'm 100% with the others on this one. Go slow & easy & definitely take Wyosmith up on his offer! That gun looks pretty damn good for it's age (kinda like me )..
Old November 20, 2011, 12:27 PM   #7
Pahoo

An offer you can't refuse !!

Quote:
If you'd like I will gladly coach you on this project. Contact me directly and I'll go through the steps you need to take one at a time so you don't do something you can't reverse and that you'll regret.
Great offer and one that makes this forum, one of the best ......

Be Safe !!!
Old November 20, 2011, 12:34 PM   #8
FrontierGander

rub the stock down with some boiled linseed oil.
Old November 20, 2011, 02:33 PM   #9
rick35ovi

P.M. sent to Wyosmith!! i definately do not want to hurt the finish, just want stabilize it and do whats best for her, I just cant wait to get it! i probably wont get it till after thanksgiving!! I will post more pics then.
Old November 21, 2011, 09:31 AM   #10
Uncle Buck

Can you post pictures as you go? Before, during and after pictures are my favorite.
Old November 21, 2011, 10:11 AM   #11
rick35ovi

Good idea!

I will try to do that! just contacted the Auction house today, they won't let anyone pay for anything until wednesday so now i will have a long wait just to get it!!
Old November 21, 2011, 11:06 AM   #12
Wild Bill Bucks

Have the gun appraised BEFORE doing anything. You might find out that it may not be worth a lot of time and trouble. If it is worth the time and effort then follow wyosmith's suggestion carefully.
Old November 21, 2011, 04:23 PM   #13
Hawg

If it's what I think it is it's worth it.
Old November 23, 2011, 12:24 PM   #14
rick35ovi

Well it is supposed to be unmarked, i am hoping to find some marks under the barrel when i get it. What do you think it might be?
Old November 23, 2011, 06:06 PM   #15
Hawg

It looks like a Tryon. May not be.
Old November 24, 2011, 06:58 AM   #16
madcratebuilder

I would not do anything until you have a long talk with Wyosmith. You may have something of historical significance, I'd go slow.
Old November 24, 2011, 09:25 AM   #17
4V50 Gary
Staff

Suggest the advice of wyosmith is taken.
Old December 6, 2011, 05:43 PM   #18
rick35ovi

Update!!! She is finally here!!!

Well after a long delay in shipping and me giving the wrong address to the auction house i finally have her home!! She is a monster too! so far i have measured the barrel to 33" and is 1 3/8" across the flats of the muzzle and weighs in at close to 16 Pounds!! she is completely unmarked so i doubt i will ever know who the original builder is. I have added lots of pics to the album so i ready to see what you think Wyosmith, She is a little rough around the edges and has been Bubba'd up some but i think we can bring her back!!

I am posting a couple of pics here and there is a link at the bottom for the slideshow.

http://s898.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow
Old December 6, 2011, 06:35 PM   #19
Hawg

OH WOW! You got the false muzzle too. FANTASTIC!!!
Old December 6, 2011, 06:45 PM   #20
Hardcase

It looks to me like a very solid foundation for restoration. There is an article in this month's Man at Arms for the Gun and Sword Collector magazine about restoration versus preservation. It has some good recommendations about preservatives, restoratives and waxes. It would be worth a look, I think.
Old December 6, 2011, 06:54 PM   #21
Hawg

I think it's well worth restoring but be prepared to spend some money on it to do it right. Don't make the next owners job harder by doing it half assed. Either clean it up and halt deterioration and leave it as is or go whole hog with it. And whatever you do do not lost track of that false muzzle. That was made from the original barrel blank when the barrel was made.
Old December 6, 2011, 08:18 PM   #22
rick35ovi

I really do have plans for this rife, I want to bring her back to as close to original as possible, I am a civil war reenactor that portrays western sharpshooters, we very rarely do much reenacting, mostly teaching on most of the national battlefields in the country. I plan on using this as a teaching tool, several sharpshooting units during the war used target rifles like this for long range sharpshooting.
Where do i find that magazine? I would love to see that article.
Old December 7, 2011, 10:45 AM   #23
Hardcase

Rick, I got my copy at Cabela's. If you've got a Barnes and Noble or similar Really Big Bookstore in your neck of the woods, they should have it as well.
Old December 7, 2011, 12:10 PM   #24
rick35ovi

Thanks for the info! now where to begin???? looks like a call to Wyosmith is in order!
Old December 8, 2011, 07:54 AM   #25
rick35ovi

Now looking for recomedations for a good place to buy vintage sights and parts. where do you guys shop? The rifle actually looks better in person, the biggest thing is replacing the sights and working with wood, It would do wonders!