The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 14, 2011, 10:38 PM   #1
jersey_emt

5-round side saddle for Mossberg 500?

I have a Mossberg 500 in 12 gauge, with the factory wood stock and forend. The forend, when pulled all the way to the rear, overlaps the receiver by about 3/8", and this prohibits use of a 6-round side saddle. Tac-Star makes a 4-round side saddle that will fit.

Does anyone know of a 5-round side saddle for the Mossberg 500? I can only find 4-round and 6-round versions. The standard magazine tube on these guns hold 5 rounds, so I find it rather curious that nobody seems to make a 5-round side saddle for these guns.

Please check out WhichGun.com, a firearms reference and buying guide.
Old January 15, 2011, 07:51 AM   #2
Gehrhard

Four is fine for backup once you've topped off the tube, no? I've never seen a five round one. There are other manufacturers I've looked at but I was sorta surprised that the TacStar was decent -- I have a six on a "project" gun of mine.
Gehr
Old January 15, 2011, 02:20 PM   #3
jersey_emt

Four rounds is fine of course, and if that is what I need to use, I'll go ahead and order one. I just find it strange that side saddles seem to be made only in 4-round and 6-round versions. The standard configurations of both the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 have a 5-round magazine tube, and a forend which overlaps the receiver slightly, prohibiting the use of 6-round side saddles.

So anyone with a basic Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 either has to replace or modify the forend to fit a 6-round side saddle, or settle for the 4-round version. Side saddles that hold 5 rounds would fit these guns without modification, and 5 rounds makes the most sense, because standard magazine capacity is 5 rounds.

I can't even find any mention of a 5-round side saddle on any of the major forums, except for the versions mounted on the stock of some Mossberg 500 configurations. This won't work for me, because I am left-handed, while my girlfriend (who also needs to be able to use this gun), is right-handed. Someone with a basic model Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 will ask about the 6-round version on a forum, and be told that it won't fit, and to get the 4-round version instead. Nobody's even thought of this? Unless I'm missing something that would make a 5-round side saddle difficult or impossible to mount securely, it just seems odd.

If there truly are no options to mount a full magazine of shells onto the receiver of a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 without modification, I honestly may look into designing one myself, and perhaps will even market it.

Old January 15, 2011, 07:00 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

Hey how about this one from Jeff's Outfitters. Twenty five rounds per belt two of them would give you 50 rounds!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shell belt.jpg (28.1 KB, 87 views)
Old January 15, 2011, 07:02 PM   #5
langloisandy

Stock mounted....?

If you need a stock mounted shell cuff, tell me! I make them.

Andy
www.andysleather.com and www.shottist.com
Old January 15, 2011, 07:26 PM   #6
webbee

I find that side saddles, when filled, greatly unbalance the receiver, especially with slugs. A butt shell cuff does too, but it's not as noticeable in the firing position. I concluded that a bandoleer was a better option since it hangs on you and not the weapon.
Old January 15, 2011, 08:18 PM   #7
jaguarxk120

Is this a good bandoleer? Pancho's ready for anyone breaking in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg panchovilla.jpg (22.6 KB, 88 views)
Old January 17, 2011, 02:33 AM   #8
jersey_emt

A stock-mounted carrier (butt cuff and similar) will not work for me. I am left-handed but my girlfriend is right-handed, and we both need to be able to use this shotgun.

I'm not too concerned about the weight balance; I've handled a Mossberg 500 with a filled 6-round side saddle and had no complaints.

I would really like to have a few rounds stored on the gun itself. If multiple robbers break into the house, in the fear and stress I don't want to forget to grab an ammo belt, bandolier, etc.

Old January 17, 2011, 04:18 AM   #9
911JB

I have 6 round side saddles on several of my mossberg 500's but I mount them a bit differently than anyone I have ever seen. I use two strips of velcro instead of bolting them. With two strips run full length it makes a strong enough bond that I can pick the gun up by the saddle and not break the bond. Plus there is one added benefit. When heading out to the range there is no need to pull individual shell out of the saddle. I just pull the entire saddle off and throw it in the ammo box for transportation. I have used this setup for years with great results. Also attached this way you can use any saddle on any gun. This one is a Remmington saddle on my Mossberg. This attachment would also eliminate the problem with the overlapping forearm issue.

Old January 18, 2011, 02:22 AM   #10
jersey_emt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911JB
I have 6 round side saddles on several of my mossberg 500's but I mount them a bit differently than anyone I have ever seen. I use two strips of velcro instead of bolting them....This attachment would also eliminate the problem with the overlapping forearm issue.
Interesting. I'm just not seeing how it gets around the overlapping forend problem. It looks like it blocks the same area that a properly mounted side saddle would block.

The Mesa Tactical 6-shot side saddle for the Mossberg 500 places the shells a bit closer together compared to the Tac-Star model. Mesa Tactical states that their 6-round side saddle extends to about 3/8" from the front of the receiver. My forend overlaps by 21/64", so it would be a tight fit (3/64"), but it might work!

I'm going to give Mesa Tactical a call and ask if they have any experience fitting their 6-round side saddle to a circa 1980-built Mossberg 500 with the factory checkered wood forend.

Mesa Tactical 6-round side saddle on a Mossberg. Note the space left for a slightly overlapping forend.

Old January 18, 2011, 06:07 AM   #11
911JB

jersey emt. That one actually has the short forearm on it. One of my others have the longer forearm though, I just did not have a pic of that one downloaded to PB yet so I just used this pic as an example thinking the concept would be self explanatory. The one that overlaps I just set the holder back just enough to clear the forearm. I did not extend the velcro as far forward on the receiver either. With this setup I could actually place the holder in any location. Need it forward put it forward, need it back ,slide it back.
Old January 18, 2011, 04:46 PM   #12
jersey_emt

Great, thanks!

I think my plan of action is to buy the Mesa Tactical 6-round side saddle, and if it leaves enough room for the forend when properly installed -- mission accomplished. If it doesn't fit, I'll try the Velcro. I might just try the Velcro even if it does fit, because ammunition must be stored separately from firearms when driving to and from the range.

Old January 18, 2011, 07:11 PM   #13
911JB

That was one of the pluses I found with using velcro. Ammo removal is a snap. Plus it is a little easier to fit into a case without that bulky shell holder hanging off the side.
Old January 18, 2011, 07:34 PM   #14
DanThaMan1776

My stock sleeve holds five rounds...
Old January 18, 2011, 09:42 PM   #15
BODAME

Shotgun Saddles

I have used several and the Mesa Tactical Saddles are the only ones I have
found reliable to use in 3-Gun.
As far as the Forearm Issue-Cut It or Change It .
My Old 2 Cents
Old January 18, 2011, 11:11 PM   #16
TheKlawMan

Shorten the forearm

I do not have a Mossberg buy an 870 Express. If the Mossie is similar to the 879, you have two other options. Swap out the forearm that overlaps the receiver, if that is the problem, for a shorter Law Enforcement style or cut a couple inches off the aft part of your forearm. There is a video on the net showing how to do that with a hacksaw and grinder. I'd just do with the 4 shot sidesaddle but its your gun.