The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 26, 2012, 03:25 PM   #1
hounddawg

.22 for IDPA practice ?

trying to talk myself into buying a M&P 22 for IDPA practice but handled one today and the trigger had about 3/8 inch pre travel. I have a M&P 9 but with a Apex trigger kit in it so the triggers are worlds apart. I also have a Buckmark but converted it to optics and it has a long barrel. Great for Streel but doubt it will help my IDPA times. I am also considering a Buckmark with target irons and a 4 inch barrel. Not really sure that would help me all that much though. Other thoughts were a Colt or SIG 1911 in .22

I figure if I make some practice targets at 1/2 or 1/4 size that would make of good practice in the draw, target acquisition and transition. I have piddled with IDPA, ICORE and Steel a bit but never anything more than a occasional match for fun. I will never be a serious competitor but would like to sharpen my skills a bit. I won't have the money for anything until January so no big rush. Any thoughts from those who have more experience at this sort of thing would be welcome.
Old November 26, 2012, 06:07 PM   #2
RickB

You can handload 9mm for about $4 per box of fifty. During the last "ammo crisis", I sometimes paid double that for rimfire ammo. I'd spend the money you have earmarked for a rimfire pistol, on a handloading set-up.
Old November 27, 2012, 05:02 AM   #3
hounddawg

thanks for the reply. Should have searched this before posting. Seems like it has been beat to death already. On the reloads I figure 3 cents per primer, 6.5 cents per LRN and maybe a penny for powder so maybe 5 dollars per 50 so point taken on the price

Last edited by hounddawg; November 27, 2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Jim Watson

I like subcaliber practice, agreeing with Jeff Cooper who said "You can learn about 80% of what you need to know with a .22."

I have an Ace, a Kadet Conversion, and a K22 for the purpose.

I use them for warmup on the draw and target transitions. I do not double tap with a .22, the lack of recoil will give you funny ideas. I normally shoot some centerfire after warmup with the .22.

The problem with the M&P .22 is, as you have seen, that it is not an M&P. It looks and hefts like one, but the swinging hammer lockwork completely changes the actual shooting. Maybe somebody will bring out a conversion like you can get for 1911, CZ, and Glock.
Old November 27, 2012, 01:50 PM   #5
hounddawg

Quote:
The problem with the M&P .22 is, as you have seen, that it is not an M&P. It looks and hefts like one, but the swinging hammer lockwork completely changes the actual shooting. Maybe somebody will bring out a conversion like you can get for 1911, CZ, and Glock.
APEX is working on one, might be out sometime next year. If I can build up my toy money a Sig 226 with a conversion kit might be the next addition to my safe. No worries one way or the other, any new pistol is a fun pistol and I have no fantasy of ever making Distinguished Master. Just to have a set goal though I am going to start a organized training regimen though and see how much I can improve before summer

found one at http://shooting-performance.com

Offtopic but last week I got a friend interested by showing him some IDPA videos. He has not shot anything since his Army days but recently retired and was in need of a hobby. he just ordered a new Sig, holster etc and is interested in competing so looks like I will have a weekday training partner now. Rumor on the street is that his wife is shopping around for a hitman to take me out now

Last edited by hounddawg; November 27, 2012 at 01:59 PM.