The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 7, 2012, 08:09 PM   #1
bigminnow

T/C Hawken 50 cal vs. T/C Hawken Pro 550 50 cal.

Anyone ever hear of a T/C Hawken Pro 550 50 Cal? If so, what is the difference between it and a T/C Hawken 50 Cal?

Are the stocks the same?
It looks like the barrel on the Pro 550 is longer...there is one barrel tang on both of them...
Old October 8, 2012, 10:04 AM   #2
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigminnow
It looks like the barrel on the Pro 550 is longer...there is one barrel tang on both of them...
I think that you mean that there's only one wedge pin that attaches the barrel to the stock instead of there being two like the Lyman Great Plains rifle.
TC's have a hooked breech with the "tang" part being screwed into the stock so there can only be one.

Quote:
]Anyone ever hear of a T/C Hawken Pro 550 50 Cal? If so, what is the difference between it and a T/C Hawken 50 Cal?
I'm not familiar with the Pro 550 model designation. I do recall some sort of TC factory made "express" model with a 32" barrel and possibly having 2 folding leaf sights. I don't recall many details about it but TC has made special limited runs of some of their models in the past.
How did you hear about the TC Hawken 550 Pro?
Can you provide us with a link to it or more details?
Old October 8, 2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Pahoo

Give us more, to work with !!!

Quote:
TC has made special limited runs of some of their models in the past. How did you hear about the TC Hawken 550 Pro?
Yes they have and every once in awhiile you see them come up. I too am not familiar with the particualr model. Now then, they do make a Pro Hunter Katahdin but am sure this is not it. I also recal that some years back, they make a Hawken type Katahdin target in .40. ....

I try to be informed on these so kindly provide us a picture and/or link, as this one has got me going !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old October 8, 2012, 09:11 PM   #4
bigminnow

You are correct Articap...I meant to say wedge pin...long day and I'm really still a newbie...

I need a stock for a T/C Hawken 50 cal because the one I had being refinished and assembled from a 35 year old kit (I'm guessing) was either messed up out of the box or the fellow doing it for me messed it up...I should have checked it better myself. I could have done it but just didn't take the time. Hindsight is perfect.

Anyway, a fellow had what he called a T/C Hawken Pro 550 50 cal for sale on ebay. But it was totally disassembled and he is selling it part by part...my guess because you can't sell an assembled gun on the e-bay.

The stock is described as black walnut and from the pictures I could not tell if it was the same size as the standard T/C Hawken stock. I was wondering if the barrel and hardware would move over from my buggered up stock.

Anyway, I bought it for 93 bucks including shipping so when it arrives I will know for myself.

It was described as being in good condition. Shouldn't be any cracks, etc... The wood is really, really dark.

What's your thoughts on black walnut...is it a good stock wood? Thanks...
Old October 8, 2012, 09:18 PM   #5
shortwave

Congratulations bigminnow,

You've stumped two of the most knowledgeable guys (articap and Pahoo) here on the BP forum.

When Google'ing the words 'Thompson Center Pro 550' the only place the word Pro shows up is with the Encore 'Pro' Hunter. The only place 550 shows up is a few Thompson Centers selling for $550.

More info., pics., link required indeed.
Old October 9, 2012, 12:44 AM   #6
arcticap

It's possible that the model name for the Hawken was mislabeled by the eBay seller.
Pecatonica River sells 98% inletted drop-in stocks for the TC Hawken and Renegade in 7 different grades of wood including walnut & cherry.

http://www.longrifles-pr.com/thompsoncenter.shtml

American black walnut is the type of wood that Marlin uses to make some of their stocks from, and some custom stocks and handgun grips are made from it too.
It's a good wood.

Last edited by arcticap; October 9, 2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:54 AM   #7
bigminnow

You probably will not find the auction on e-bay because it is expired...I tell you, it's strange because regular T/C Hawken stocks were selling for more than this stock sold for... it was a complete rifle at one time and the stock is finished. The seller just took it apart and is parting it out...I think all the auctions ended at around the same time. When it arrives, I will take some pics and post...I hope this isn't a piece of firewood!!
Old October 9, 2012, 09:45 AM   #8
Pahoo

I like "some" surprises !!!

Quote:
When it arrives, I will take some pics and post...I hope this isn't a piece of firewood!!
That would be great and looking forward to it. I once bought a TC Seneca, that is a Seneca in every respect. However, it came with a barrel that has absolutely no identification on it. It's obviously an after-market but again, no idea of who made it. ...

Although there are better hard woods, there is nohting wrong with American Walnut which is what you will find on most TC Side-Cockers. Really sounds like a good deal and again, please keep us updated. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 9, 2012, 08:42 PM   #9
bigminnow

Ok...Hawken "Pro 550" stock has not arrived yet but I went back to eeeebay and copied some of the pictures of the auction. I can see the description because I purchased it but no one else can see it because the auction is closed...

I have never posted pictures or links here but I'm going to try...here goes. I hope this stock turns out to be a good buy!!! (sorry the pics aren't bigger...)

Old October 10, 2012, 12:16 AM   #10
shortwave

Okay,

I went back late last night and re-Googled Thompson Center Hawken Pro 550 and got a hit.

The hit was on Ebay and was for a trigger guard fitting this mysterious model. Clicked on the Ebay link and couldn't find the trigger guard. Trigger guards for everything else. Just not the one advertised.
Maybe it wouldn't show due to what bigminnow said "auction is closed".

And tonight, I can't even re-find the hit when I Google it.

But it did say Thompson Center Hawken Pro 550.
Old October 10, 2012, 12:53 AM   #11
arcticap

Quote:
I can see the description because I purchased it but no one else can see it because the auction is closed...
Thank you for showing us the photos.

I performed an eBay advanced search for completed auctions using the keywords Hawken "Pro 550" stock and found the original eBay listing that anyone can see until the ad is deleted:

Thompson Center Pro 550 Hawken 50 Cal. Black Walnut Stock

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thompson-Cen...p2047675.l2557

An advanced eBay search for completed auctions by the same seller [hueyhog1] shows that he recently sold a lot of CVA Frontier carbine parts labeled as "Century Valley Arms" instead of Connecticut Valley Arms. I think that the seller tends to mislabel items simply because he's not familiar with their proper names. Thus I don't believe that his labeling of the Pro 550 Hawken is accurate either.

Here's one of hueyhog1's mislabeled CVA parts ads:

Century Valley Arms , CVA Frontier Carbine 50 Cal. Tang

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Century-Vall...item19d5aae03f

Here's the hueyhog1 seller's list of completed auctions for the last 15 days.

http://www.ebay.com/dsc/hueyhog1/m.h..._sop=13&_rdc=1

Last edited by arcticap; October 10, 2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old October 10, 2012, 08:58 AM   #12
shortwave

Thanks for doing the advanced search for completed auctions arcticap .

I don't do Ebay that much and didn't know you could do that.

I saw the trigger guard I got the hit on in the below list. The one I got and then went back and couldn't find. Thought I was going crazy(er).

I think arcticap has put this puzzle together. Agree that the seller of this stock(and obviously, many other parts) didn't label things correctly.

I just wander where the seller came up with the model name he put on this stock(and trigger guard).
Old October 12, 2012, 09:22 PM   #13
bigminnow

Well...I got back from a work related trip this evening and the stock had arrived.

I do think it is black walnut and the parts from my T/C Hawken 50 do fit but as I expected, the stock will need a wee bit of fine sanding in places for a perfect fit.

Now here is why I'm bummed out...the stock would have been perfect except the seller did not pack the stock in a box with proper packing. It was wrapped in bubble wrap and then wrapped in brown paper and sent USPS Priority mail. (...not in a box...)

The bottom rear of the stock is chipped and I'm PO'ed big time!!

Sorry the pictures aren't better but hopefully you all can see them. It's not as bad as a cracked stock would be but I'm totally bummed...

What would you do?? Try and fix it...I don't know...I'm so p!$$ed off I can't deal with it anymore tonight...I really thought I found a great deal and all because it wasn't packed good... I have another defect stock...oh well
(I wish he had sold the thing as a complete rifle...I wonder where the "Pro550" came from too...the stock has the letter K inside which I thought meant it was a kit...)

Old October 13, 2012, 05:30 AM   #14
Hawg

K prefix in the serial number does mean kit. I just googled tc hawken pro 550 and got ten hits. This thread was first, followed by nine ebay listings.
Old October 13, 2012, 12:09 PM   #15
bigminnow

Yes, I think the fellow took the kit gun completely apart and listed each part on ebay...I think he could have got a better price selling it as a complete gun on some other website...shame he doesn't know how to properly pack a finished stock for shipping...my loss...
Old October 13, 2012, 02:32 PM   #16
shortwave

^^^My thoughts exactly.
Old October 13, 2012, 11:25 PM   #17
mykeal

My wife buys antique china on eBay and has to deal with this sort of thing all the time. A good 25% of the things she buys come damaged due to poor packaging, even after she sends detailed instructions on how to pack delicate china. She is one PO'd woman when a one-of-a-kind irreplaceable antique is ruined by some idiot's mistakes or lack of care.

Notify the seller of the damage, including pics, and request a complete refund. If he refuses, notify eBay. If the item was shipped insured you need to work out with the seller who will file the claim. Whoever does gets the insurance payment. He will have to show the shipper the damage.
Old October 14, 2012, 11:19 PM   #18
bigminnow

It's a real pain...I figured since the rest of the stock is so nice...I'm going to keep it and try and make it work. If I file a claim for insurance and all, I'm still out a stock that couldn't be replaced for the same money...so, I'll consider the missing chunks of wood to be character scars...
The seller offered to refund all my money including shipping but I would have to send the stock back...still...what's wrong with these folk. Maybe they don't know how rough the carriers UPS, USPS, FedEx...etc are on these packages...oh well...
Old October 16, 2012, 09:48 AM   #19
olmontanaboy

The seller offered to refund all my money including shipping but I would have to send the stock back...still...what's wrong with these folk. Maybe they don't know how rough the carriers UPS, USPS, FedEx...etc are on these packages...oh well...

Yeah, I'd be unhappy too. It's amazing how some of the items I've received from people are packed. I've had people put great items loose in a flimsy box only to receive them damaged or missing out the side of the box, very disapointing. At least to his credit he offered a full refund. I would take him up on it, it was his fault after all and you'll never be happy with a repaired stock, every time you look at it it will remind you that it didn't have to be that way. Be patient, keep looking and you'll get a good one.

Last edited by olmontanaboy; October 16, 2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old October 16, 2012, 01:05 PM   #20
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Anyone ever hear of a T/C Hawken Pro 550 50 Cal?

I don't remember a Pro 550. But I do recall T/C made a (Cleveland or Clealand was it?) From what I recall it was made a very short period of time. It being some sort of Hawken factory decked out barrel longer than usual target rifle supposedly. In>40 cal I think. I don't remember if it arrived on the market before or after their Cougar model? (I certainly could be all mixed up on this thread? Been awhile) All I know is at the time I wanted one so bad and couldn't affored it._> I'ss broke then!!_
Old October 16, 2012, 02:22 PM   #21
arcticap

I've seen some used TC Hawkens for sale for as low as $179 plus shipping, some with a scope mounted.
bigminnow could buy one just for the stock and sell the leftover parts and maybe end up better off than if he kept this damaged eBay stock.

I would ask the seller to reconsider being allowed to keep the damaged stock for $20 - $25 less, or else I would tell him that it will be returned.
It's clear that bigminnow wants to keep the stock, but that damaged stock isn't worth as much on eBay as was paid, so the seller won't recover all of his money either if he tries to sell it again. So he may as well give bigminnow the discount.
He's betting that bigminnow will keep it.
Whereas even if bigminnow bluffs him about returning it, he can always end up simply keeping the damaged stock if the seller won't reconsider offering an "accord and satisfaction" in the form of a partial refund.
It's too bad that bigminnow may be taking a loss on 2 stocks in a row.

Info. about accord & satisfaction:

http://accordandsatisfaction.uslegal.com/

http://www.investorwords.com/12818/a...isfaction.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accord_and_satisfaction

Last edited by arcticap; October 16, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old October 16, 2012, 08:49 PM   #22
bigminnow

Well for sure...this hawken is going to be the most expensive firearm I own......not including my noise reduction devices

This will be my school of hard knocks shooter... Regardless, I have found another hawken T/C kit from the 80's that was not assembled and this time I will finish it myself. (but I'm still irked at the packing some people think is acceptable)...
Old October 16, 2012, 11:15 PM   #23
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Its inevitable. I've been burned on ickybay so many times. By camera cropping shots, bait & switch, and those convenient shipping practices by their sellers With or without insurance. As far as coloring on the stock. That's just a matter of choice in oil stains. Personally my conscience would prompt me to go after a full refund. Start over. I would refuse to be saddled with an expensive paper weight. But it is indeed your decision Sir. Just my opinion like so many others is all. Good Luck,

S/S
Old October 17, 2012, 12:00 PM   #24
shortwave

Congrats on finding another T/C kit.

I think you'll find you'll appreciate the efforts of finishing your own stock when it's all said and done.

As far as the damaged stock, I agree with Sure Shot. I'd send it back for a full refund in a heartbeat. No since in you taking a loss in something that just wasn't your fault.
Old October 18, 2012, 12:11 AM   #25
bigminnow

Thanks for the advice and support!...but I'm going to keep it and make the most of it. It was 84.00 + shipping and he offered to refund all of it but I'd have to pay the return shipping...it is black walnut and I've never seen another black walnut stock and couldn't get another one ready to use for that. So I'm going to patch it up and make the most of it and maybe no one will notice the chip that much...
Live and learn...the best learned lessons are the expen$ive ones...