The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 9, 2009, 04:53 PM   #1
verti89

.45 load suggestions

My dad and I are relatively new to reloading. We are currently reloading .45,
.40, .38, .357, and .44.

I am specifically looking for a good load (nothing too powerful) to load for .45 using the following components.

200gr FMJ SWC
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=797724

Red Dot or Bullseye Powder

We are shooting XDs, and a Springer 1911. We made 100 rounds using these bullets but they were not chamber or ejecting consistently. I know part of the problem is the bullet type. My dad is going to have his XD polished and throated, and I will probably have the same done to my 1911. We are hoping this will help with the issue, and after talking to a co-worker with a couple decades experience he said we should try a heavier load. So with that in mind please make your suggestions. We are looking for something that is pleasant to shoot but with enough power to hopefully eject consistently.
Old July 9, 2009, 04:59 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

So I assume this is .45 ACP and not something else? If so, just use the old Browning original load of 5 grains of Bullseye and you should do fine. I have had extremely accurate results with that bullet in the past over 4.2 grains of Bullseye, which fairly closely copies the ballistics of commercial match loads made with the 185 grain SWC. The 0.37" group below from my Goldcup was 5 shots at 25 yards off a Hoppe's handgun bag rest using a frame-mounted Aimpoint red dot sight.

NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; July 9, 2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old July 10, 2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Art in CT

My 45 ACP Load

After many test rounds and trials of different powders and loads at the range in my Ransom Rest the load that I have settled upon for my 45 ACP is as follows....

3.8 grains of Hodgdon Clays as metered in Harrell's Schutzen / Pistol Powder measure
219 grain Self Cast Bullet in the 21 hardness scale from a Hensley & Gibbs Mould - this is a Semi Wad Cutter, bevel base, from mould #68

The bullets are lubed in a Star Lubrisizer but not really sized at all since the bullets drop at .452 and I am using a .452 Star sizer in the Lubrisizer. All bullets are sorted by weight as are the cases prior to loading (benchrest discipline here when doing load development).

I use ww primers and the OAL is 1.25" in WW cases.

The neck is lightly taper crimped to .4715" using a C&H taper crimp die

This is NOT a hot load but is sufficient to work the actions on my Less Baer Monolith and my Gold Cup with ease. There are no signs of primer flatening or high pressure signs. 25 yard 5 shot groups on the Ransom are .75" in either gun with this load. (the Gold Cup was smithed by Joseph's (Now Jo-Jo's in Southington, CT many years ago).

Although this load is not for your bullet, as the bullet I am using is 19 grains heavier, it may give you a starting point however I would strongly suggest you refer to the load books regarding your bullet weight. The larger the bullet, typically more of it is in the case AND as a result pressures get higher.

Shoot Straight!

Art In CT

Last edited by Art in CT; July 10, 2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old July 10, 2009, 10:10 AM   #4
TEDDY

45 acp

I use 700X but bullseye is the same.3.6 gr with 200 gr SWC.I have used it for 30 yrs in compitition.it shoots better than I can as I have had some top shooters try my gun an AMT longslide.I loaded for yrs with a Bair press and then a Lee 1000.