The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 27, 2001, 01:59 PM   #1
Dr45ACP

In thick woods and river bottoms, range would be 30 to 40 yards max. Should I go with a 12 gauge or would something smaller be adequate?

In particular, i think it might be fun to hunt with a 410, but have never done that before and dont know how well that would work.
Old January 27, 2001, 03:28 PM   #2
Point Blank

In Georgia?????? I heard a slingshot.........to lob a stick of dynamite!!!!
Old January 27, 2001, 03:58 PM   #3
Bud Helms

If you're going to hunt with a shotgun, stay with a 12 ga. A .45 front end loader that's really dialed in, with round balls, is the best medicine.
Old January 27, 2001, 10:06 PM   #4
Dr45ACP

Whats that supposed to mean, Point Blank? Got a problem with the great state of Georgia?
Old January 27, 2001, 11:11 PM   #5
Bud Helms

Yeah! Dynamite's good enough for river fishin'! What's yo' prollum?
Old January 28, 2001, 04:51 AM   #6
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Dynamite?

Sounds to me like Point Blank is a wee bit frustrated with Turkeys. They will do that to you, ya know.

sensop - there is a black powder season for Turkey in GA?

Dr45ACP - I'm one state over (SC) and the common gun is a tight choked 12 ga with number 6s or larger shot. Key seems to be the precise placement of shot on a turkey's head. If a 410 could be loaded with 6s or larger and give a tight enough pattern at a given range, it'd work. Need to test the heck out of it though.

My feeling is that the hunt is over when I decide to kill an animal. Then the mission is to kill the animal as quickly as possible. Regardless of the tool used, anything less than optimum is (IMHO) morally lacking. That's why I don't use a .223 on deer or a .270 on elk. When I make the decision to kill, I want one shot and DRT. Practice and adequate tools have been successful so far.

Giz
Old January 29, 2001, 11:06 AM   #7
Poodleshooter

At 30-40 yds, patterns will be tight enough with #5 or #4 shot. If you're a believer in velocity, go for a 1-5/8 or 1-7/8oz load. If you believe in payload, try and find some old Activ 3" turkey loads with nickle plated shot and 2-1/4oz of shot. Nobody made a 3" load any heavier. I have 8 left and treat them like gold nuggets. A Federal/Remington/Winchester 2oz load will do just fine though.
Old January 29, 2001, 12:40 PM   #8
gfrey

First answer.

ME!

But I am not in Ga.

I suggest the 12, 20 if you HAVE to go smaller.

I do not think .410 would be an option in turkey hunting for me.

And no matter what,

PATTERN the loads you buy. try at least 3 loads, and with the chokes you think you might use.

What works best with out buying every load and every choke? having a few buddies with similar shotguns, buy some ammo and a choke, try all until best choke/load for each gun is found.

YMMV.

Old January 29, 2001, 12:57 PM   #9
Bud Helms

Giz,

There isn't a special muzzle loader season for turkey, but it's a "legal to take" weapon for them during the existing season. I can't remember the minimum cal, but I think it's .45. Too bad. There are some tack driving .36s out there.