The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 2008, 08:55 PM   #1
ZX10Aviator

Choosing powders..

My buddy chooses the one that takes the least amount of grains, how do you pick what powder to buy?

Thanks
Old December 9, 2008, 09:08 PM   #2
Alaska-Bush-Man

Grains

Most accuate loads are 98 to 99% fill in the case capacity, depending on what you shoot depends on which powder you buy.
Old December 9, 2008, 09:12 PM   #3
Hunter0924

I will experiment with a few different powders and pick the one that preforms the best.
Old December 9, 2008, 09:55 PM   #4
abber

I like a good velocity to pressure ratio. I try to stay well under the pressure limit for the caliber in question, while obtaining a decent velocity. Some powders give lots of velocity with surprisingly low pressures. I just read a lot, and decide based on what strikes me. Then, the real work starts. After loading and shooting with a new powder, then the real opinion of that powder will begin to take shape. There are just so many variables, which is why I never buy more than a pound at a time when trying out new powders. Two of my favorites are Universal Clays, and IMR4227. I handload .38/.357, .44 mag, .40 S&W, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, and .460 S&W mag. These two powders have applications across this whole range. There are many other great powders, but those two get the most throws at my bench.
Old December 10, 2008, 09:06 AM   #5
Sevens

Quote:
Most accuate loads are 98 to 99% fill in the case capacity, depending on what you shoot depends on which powder you buy.
I'm not sure how well that works out (it may be entirely true) but it's all but impossible to look at the charge weight of a powder you've never had your hands on and guess at how full the case will be with that charge. The only time you really have a clue is if the data denotes that it's a compressed charge... then you know it's full.

There are many, many different reasons to choose a powder. Any are valid, some more than others. You can pick a powder...
  • ...that uses a low charge weight so that you get more loaded rounds out of each can
  • ...that is the cheapest price per pound
  • ...that gives you the highest velocity in data you've looked at
  • ...that gives you a decent velocity that seems to run at at lower pressure than others
  • ...that seems to return the most consistent accuracy
  • ...that does things well without requiring a magnum primer
  • ...that meters well in your powder measure
  • ...that is less sensitive to wild outdoor temperature ranges
  • ...that is easy to find at your local shop
  • ...that is a popular choice in that caliber and has a LOT of load data available for a wide range of bullet weights
  • ...fills more of the case to avoid an accident double or triple charge (more for large, low pressure handgun cases)
  • ...works better with hot magnum loads
  • ...gives you versatility to load many calibers with just one powder
  • ...burns cleaner, leaving less residue and filth on your handgun and smokes less
  • ...gives the appearance of less muzzle flash for low-light shooting

Those are valid reasons I can think of right off hand. In .223, I use H335 because it meters well and gives me great accuracy. But sometimes, I like to use H4198 because it gives me a similar velocity but at a lower pressure and it also uses a lesser charge which makes it a little cheaper. But H4198 is an extruded powder that just doesn't meter as well as the spherical H335.

In .38 Special, I use Bullseye for target wadcutters because it gives me the accuracy I expect and because I've been using it for a long time and I have a supply of it. But many folks hate it because it takes only a smidge in the case and you could easily double charge one and the powder wouldn't be anywhere near the top of the case. Other folks hate it because it's pretty dirty and newer powders perform just as well without all the smoke and filth. Some guys prefer Trail Boss because it really fills up most cases and you would have it overflowing long before a double charge.

If you are just starting out at reloading, I would pick a powder that's popular in whichever caliber you intend to start with and give it a try. When I first began I kept only 2 or 3 powders in supply and I tried to use them for everything. Now I have 13 and it's fun for me because I ALWAYS have a different powder I can try when I find a new or different bullet and I can concoct 4 or more different loads in any caliber and compare them. That ends up being a lot of fun, IMO.

Other folks don't enjoy the process so much, they simply want the ammo, and that's fine too. For them, they find one powder and bullet combo that works and then they tunr out 5,000 of them.
Old December 10, 2008, 09:55 AM   #6
ZX10Aviator

Thank you Sevens. The biggest holdup on my cartridge perfecting is its dark when I get off work so no going to the range. In spring Ill have more chances. So right now, I just want to load something that works until I get the opportunity to play with them more.
Old December 10, 2008, 01:12 PM   #7
BigJimP

I tend to stay with powders that are versatile in terms of the calibers or gagues I reload - and powders that drop accurately in my powder measures.

I like Hodgdon powders. For my handguns I use Hodgdon TiteGroup for 9mm, .40W&W, .45 acp, .38 spl, .357 mag and .44 mag. It burns clean, drops very consistently, gives me very good accuracy.

For 12ga shotgun I load Hodgdon Clays ( clean, accurate )
for 20ga I load Hodgdon International ( same ...)
for 28ga I load Hodgdon Universal
for .410 I load Hodgdon Lil Gun

most of these shotshell powders also have recipes for handgun calibers but I find they don't drop real accurately in the range I need for handguns. Hodgdon formulated TiteGroup to take care of a variety of handgun loads / and provide good ignition even on cartridges like .44 mag where you have a large volume case and a relatively low volume of powder.

It means I stock 5 different powders - but having only a couple of 8 lb kegs per type is not that big a deal in the volumes I use on shotshells especially - and one 8 lb Keg of TiteGroup will give me 8,000 - 10,000 cartridges so its almost giving me a years usage.