The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 2007, 04:07 PM   #1
ShootingNut

Ever have this happen?

Loading some .40 SW rounds on my Lee Classic Turret Press today.
Things going just fine, until a finished round didn't want to slide out of the Shellholder. The primer was not fully set into the case. I believe that I had used the same amount of pressure, and full stroke of the handle. Maybe some "goop" in the primer socket?
Live round, I'm not going to force it so I removed the shellholder and cartridge. What would you expierenced loaders have done. Cranked big time to get it out, or kiss both goodbye and install a new shellholder?
How would you safely dispose of the round, or can you pull the lead bullet out and empty the powder, THEN take a chance cranking on the primer?
Need your expierenced advice!
Thank you
Old March 14, 2007, 06:44 PM   #2
CrustyFN

I hope we are not alone in this one. I had the same thing happen and I gently added pressure to the primer until I could get it out. I don't know if this was the right way or best thing to do but it worked for me. It has only happened once.
Rusty
Old March 14, 2007, 07:01 PM   #3
ShootingNut

Rusty

Your either lucky, or gutsy. Maybe I'm a chicken feathers, but the idea of blowing off the primer with a fully loaded .40 in my hand doesn't really seem like something I want to do.
Thanks, for letting me know someone else has had this happen!
Old March 14, 2007, 07:07 PM   #4
swmike

Some things to consider are what would it cost to replace an eye if you could? What about a couple of fingers or a piece of your hand, again, if you could?

Now what was the actual value of that round with the improperly set primer?

To me it is not worth the $0.25 or so to even bother with it. Put it in the "Rounds I screwed up while reloading" can and pull them down someday when you have nothing else to do. A hammer type tool will cost you $15. You are still ahead of the cost of replacement body parts, if you can even get them.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old March 14, 2007, 07:31 PM   #5
ShootingNut

swmike,
That's what I thought, and the round and shellholder is "in the screwed up can" and will stay there. Who knows why it happened, but I'm not taking any chance loosing a body part, even if I'm already on SS!
Old March 14, 2007, 10:31 PM   #6
aaalaska

If you dop your cartrige with shell holder in a kinetic type bullt puller you can drop the bullet and dump the powder.
Old March 14, 2007, 10:58 PM   #7
keebo52

+1 on the kinetic bullet puller. Just put the shell holder/loaded round in and hammer away. That's what I've done in the past.

If you don't have a hammer type (kinetic) bullet puller, get one. Trust me, you'll need it again.
Old March 14, 2007, 11:25 PM   #8
Scott5

Hello all,
What happened to me on my new Hornady L-N-L AP was I was loading for the Garand in 06 and didn't push forward on the handle all the way to seat a primer and when that round went to the last station it didn't drop so I had to unscrew the shellholder untill I could get the shell out of the press.

The rest of the shells were not affected, so I set the high primer one aside untill I could deal with it later.

On my Lee Pro 1000, same thing but I worked it loose enough to get it out without needing to use the wrench.

+1 on the Kenetic bullet puller, If you reload you will need one!!

Happy shooting
Scott5
Old March 15, 2007, 06:09 AM   #9
ShootingNut

Another question

first thank you all for your advice.
From what I just read regarding the Kenetic Bullet Puller, it didn't should as if one could stick the shellholder in also. They mention, just stick the cartridge in. You guys that have them would know for sure.
Otherwise both get pitched out, but where is a safe place to dump a loaded cartridge. Don't care to hurt any innocent person.
Thanks again folks!
Old March 15, 2007, 09:30 AM   #10
LAH

The Creeker way:
Remove die, push press handle to bottom of travel extending the bullet above the tool head. Grasp bullet with vise grips. Raise handle pulling case from bullet. Remove shellholder and case. Dump powder and either seat primer or decap. Job done. God Bless..............Creeker
Old March 15, 2007, 09:37 AM   #11
ShootingNut

LAH,
Thanks, sounds good although I'm not sure the bullet would rise to above the turret? Maybe I'm wrong, will look at that. I take it you don't see the pressure pulling the lead out, doing any damage to the aluminum turret?
That could be protected with wood, is the lead rises enough.
Thanks again, idea sounds good!
Old March 15, 2007, 09:45 AM   #12
ShootingNut

Now I know what Dad meant

when he told me to "GET THE LEAD OUT"!
Old March 15, 2007, 10:23 AM   #13
LAH

ShootingNut I don't see a problem. Perhaps a piece of rubber or some such between the vice grips and the threads would be in good order. It could be the vice grips could be laid flat as not to touch the threads.

BTW I've pulled bullets like this more than once in my RockChucker and Lyman All American Turret Press. Normally they come out without much force.

Creeker
Old March 15, 2007, 10:27 AM   #14
ShootingNut

lah,
Thanks, I'm goin' for it!
Old March 15, 2007, 10:46 AM   #15
LAH

Let us know how it goes.............Creeker
Old March 15, 2007, 03:38 PM   #16
Tadpole Starr

Use The Rcbs Power Pull Kinetic Bullet Puller

I took a loade 45 ACP shll and put it in the shell holder and put it in the puller, and wala, the puller looks like it was made for the purpose. So instead of using the banded collet, use the shell holder to unload the round. Then the primer can easily be pushed out of the shell. Using proper safety goggles, heavy gloves, etc. of course. Or, the primer can be seated if it the pocket is clean.

Midway has the puller product # 630-146 for 15.70. Page 365 in the Master Catalog no. 30.

It works!
Old March 15, 2007, 03:41 PM   #17
Tadpole Starr

Use The Rcbs Power Pull Kinetic Bullet Puller

Put the loaded shell in the puller, and wala, the puller looks like it was made for the purpose. So instead of using the banded collet, use the shell holder to unload the round. Then the primer can easily be pushed out of the shell. Using proper safety goggles, heavy gloves, etc. of course. Or, the primer can be seated if it the pocket is clean.

Midway has the puller product # 630-146 for 15.70. Page 365 in the Master Catalog no. 30.

It works!
Old March 15, 2007, 04:37 PM   #18
ShootingNut

Tadpole

Just so I got this straight, you have the Kinetic Hammer styly puller.
And you can fit, not only the cartridge, but the "hung up Shellholder" inside of the plastic hammer head, screw on what looks like a "plastic cap" in pictures, slam her on concrete and out comes the bullet and powder?
Old March 15, 2007, 07:21 PM   #19
CrustyFN

Sorry I think I read to fast and mislead you. I didn't push more on the primer on a fully loaded round, mine just had the primer in it. As far as hammer type pullers, yes you can use a regular shell holder. I bought a RCBS shell holder just for my bullet puller so I wouldn't have to take the one out of my press. It works far better the the piece that comes with the bullet puller.
Rusty
Old March 15, 2007, 08:54 PM   #20
Tadpole Starr

Shootingnut, You Got it Right

The threaded end of the puller has a .635 hole in it, and the shell holder is
.558 and works great as described by you. I have done it, and in fact just pulled one 2 minutes ago.

If you want a picture, I will be happy to send one. My email address is [email protected]

Always wear eye protection. God Bless, Tad
Old March 15, 2007, 10:49 PM   #21
aaalaska

roger all the above I threw the collet away years ago bought a full set of lee bullet holders just for that reason
Old March 16, 2007, 06:04 AM   #22
ShootingNut

Thanks everyone

Going to place my order today for the Kinetic Bullet Puller, confident that it will do the job plus may very well be used in the future.
Tried last night, and the ram on a Lee Classic Turret Press does not raise a
.40 in the shellholder high enough to grasp with a vice grip. The .40 has a
TC lead bullet, which really doesn't give you much at all to grab in the first place, not as a SWC would.
Never blown off a primer, so I may chuck the works anyway once bullet/powder is out.
Now don't tell me they make "Primer Blowers" , just for this kind of situation!
:-)
PS: Never have figured out how to move the funny faces to my posts, all
I get is a by the cursor? And I'm loading rounds, Whoaaa!
Old March 16, 2007, 06:08 AM   #23
ShootingNut

What the heck..

how's that funny face get into my P.S. (last post)?
They don't show up until you hit Submit Reply?
Old March 16, 2007, 09:30 AM   #24
Tadpole Starr

If you were to pour oil into the shell ??

If you were to pour oil into the shell, I think it would make the primer safe to remove after it sets for a while. I do that with all old primers and powder that I want to disable. Once the primer is disabled, you should be able to remove it just like you would a spent primer.

Maybe another reloader can weigh in on this as well.

Always wear eye protection.

A very good investment on the puller! I use mine a lot.
Old March 16, 2007, 09:50 AM   #25
Edward429451

Quote:
slam her on concrete
Slam her on wood or a hockypuck and it's reusable.