The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 5, 2001, 11:45 AM   #1
Guyon

Why in the world do I need an 1100?

Been following the bargain thread on Remington 1100s with some interest. I actually hoped that the prices around me might dip below 300, but they are at 328 with no real price change in sight. I've even spoken to a store manager and asked about possible price reductions in the future. I also mentioned prices in the 270 range reported at other Wal-Marts with no luck.

Still $328 ain't bad, and I don't own an autoloader. My only real reservation is that the 1100 won't chamber 3 inch shells. That and the 28" barrel make it a less-than-desirable turkey gun in my book.

So I keep waivering back and forth between "Wow. Great deal. I should buy one of these up before they're gone" and "Maybe I ought to save my money for a different gun."

So I guess my question is (bet you thought I'd never get to the question): Why might I need (or want) an 1100 Synthetic? If you own one, what do you use yours for?

As an afterthought here, I should say this. I don't have a dedicated HD shotgun. I have a dove gun and a turkey gun--both of them 870 pumps. The turkey gun, with its shorter 23" barrel, has effectively been my HD gun by changing out the choke.

It occurs to me that the 1100, with a shorter barrel, would make a fine HD gun--perhaps with a few more modifications.

Last edited by Guyon; July 5, 2001 at 12:16 PM.
Old July 5, 2001, 01:17 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Actually, you don''t need that 1100, you've two great all around shotguns, those 870s.

My parts 870,Frankenstein, has a 21" bbl. Any differences in ease of handling compared to my two H/D 870s w/ 18-20" bbls are unnoticeable.If for some reason I couldn't access them, I'd have no qualms in picking up my turkey gun and doubt any difference in effectiveness would result.4 rounds of 00 in trained hands is still a very high defensive capability to handle any intruder(s).

If I owned a Walmart 1100, I'd get the stock to fit me and use it for trap doubles, sporting clays and maybe upland game. NO waterfowl, an 870 will handle extreme conditions better, and some of mine will handle 3' Mag loads.

That model 1100 has a 28" bbl, a little long for HD, IMO.A second bbl,either Remington or aftermarket, would fix that.Sling studs will also be a good idea.

OTOH, for those of us w/o good, durable, shotguns, the Walmart 1100 is an excellent deal.