The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 17, 2013, 09:26 AM   #1
gman3

Modification to Browning A bolt Receiver Mounting

Thinking about changing the receiver screw mounting arrangement on a Browning A bolt. What I have in mind is adding a 1/4-28 bolt at the front of the trigger guard assembly where the wood screw currently is so as to be able to bed that area, and float the tang where the safety mechanism is, which is not at all substantial.

Seems that they made it the way is is for reasons of economy and ease of manufacturing.

My theory is that in doing so, it would be possible to apply a more uniform application of torque to the receiver, due to the much larger area of fat round steel there.

Of course, it would involve drilling an tapping a hole in the bottom of the receiver there, which is about an inch long and completely round. I would also pillar bed that area as well as the front screw.

This would also involve counter boring the trigger guard to accept the larger bolt.

I also observed that the bottom metal for the floor plate hinge is made of plastic (disappointed in that) so I will be making a new steel piece for that as well if, I cant buy one. There is nothing in the mechanism of the rifle in that area of the receiver where the hole would be located, that would be interfered with.

It is also far enough from where the bolt lugs lock up, that I do not believe there would be a weakening of the receiver as a result of this modification. It would be somewhat similar to how the X-Bolt receiver is mounted

Also, I intend to deposit the factory Flexo-Matic injection molded stock in the trash receptacle, as it would be wrong to impose such a piece of junk on someone else. I will be replacing it with a laminated stock.

So, tell me what you guys think, fill free to chastise me for such a foolish notion if that is what you feel I will be embarking upon, and I will go get my fire-proof suit.
Old December 17, 2013, 10:04 AM   #2
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman3

it would be wrong to impose such a piece of junk on someone else.
My only thought is: If it's going down the road, why bother ?

Old December 17, 2013, 10:33 AM   #3
gman3

Just the stock is going, I'm keeping the rest of it. Of course, if I have an oops, then the whole thing will follow the stock, but it seems like a fairly simple straight forward operation, even if I have to fabricate the hinge plate for the floor plate. The factory part is really disappointing for a browning rifle. PLASTIC.
Old December 18, 2013, 06:59 AM   #4
gman3

No concerns about drilling another hole in the receiver bottom?
Old December 19, 2013, 09:20 PM   #5
gman3

After close examination, it appears to not be a feasible thing to do. The old point of diminishing returns comes to mind. So, "why bother" is correct.
Old December 20, 2013, 12:58 AM   #6
Snyper

Quote:
No concerns about drilling another hole in the receiver bottom?
I'd have no concerns if you drill holes in your rifle
I certainly wouldn't do it to any of mine though.