The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 25, 2013, 03:22 PM   #1
CommissarHark

So I bought an Uberti 1849 pocket pistol

I recently, like today, picked up an Uberti 1849 Pocket Pistol from Cabela's. I also grabbed a conversion cylinder from Taylor's and Company. I pulled it all apart, gave it a good cleaning, and then dropped in the cylinder. The gun keeps seizing up. I make it through maybe one full cycling of the cylinder and the hammer and trigger seize up. So I figure, probably just the cylinder, so I throw in the original one. No dice, seizes even harder and faster; I can only cycle it once, and won't even index properly. Any suggestions? I plan on sending it to Taylor's as they do free fit and finish gun-smithing when their cylinders don't work, but I'm worried about if it's a problem with the gun they'll charge me and I already have over $600 sunk into this little project. Help would be much appreciated.
Old May 25, 2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Hawg

You may have driven the wedge in too deep. Uberti's are infamous for having short arbors. The wedge should be just past flush on the off side and you should be able to remove/install it with thumb pressure.
Old May 25, 2013, 05:15 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

I know nothing in regards to the conversion cylinder but my first thoughts were exactly what Hawg said. I have a Uberti '51 Navy (which I really like) but I've found that that is one of the things I have to keep my eye on or if the wedge is in too far, it can lock up the cylinder tight. I always try to have the wedge in "thumb tight" (thumb pressure) but I would imagine each pistol has it's individual quirks.

Congrats on the '49! I've always wanted one but to be honest, I personally have never run across one at Cabelas that I'd lay my money down on. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bad mouthing Uberti, Cabelas or anything else. It's just that the individual '49s that I've looked at when at different Cabelas (probably 5 or 6 different ones) it always seemed like there was something wrong with them. One that I looked at had terrible timing, several felt like the actions had gravel in them, etc. I just took it as a "sign" that I wasn't supposed to get one! I just chalked it up as it was the particular pistol I was looking at as I know they are not all that way. One of these days I'll find a good one and it will come home with me.

Good luck with your '49 - you'll get it figured out and I think you'll end up with a really nice little shooter.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old May 25, 2013, 09:32 PM   #4
CommissarHark

Thanks

I'll test out the wedge idea, I didn't actually know that. It seems though that the forcing cone was just a tad too long, so I shaved a bit off and now everything fits perfectly and only hitches a little. If my thumbs didn't hurt so goddamn much from cocking that funky hammer I'd take off a bit more tonight, but I think once I shave just a teeny bit more off it'll all work smoothly.
Old May 25, 2013, 10:36 PM   #5
Gaucho Gringo

I have a 1848 pocket pistol and an older 6 shot R&D conversion cylinder. If I press the wedge in too far it binds up using the conversion cylinder. I have learned to only press the wedge in lightly. One of these days I am going to have to get serious and fix the short arbor. Unfortunately, like most people I tend to procrastinate and as long as I can get it to work using a simple workaround I put off fixing it permanently. I also have a few other projects like this I need to get done. One of these days(famous last words).
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old May 26, 2013, 01:44 PM   #6
bushmaster65

My Uberti Walker developed the same problem and nothing worked until i sent it to a smith here in Texas and he did what you are already doing., Opened the cylinder gap. She cycles just fine ever since.
Old May 26, 2013, 02:50 PM   #7
Hawg

The problem with opening the cylinder gap to correct the effects of a short arbor is its possible to change the barrel angle with the wedge. The barrel can go no further at the bottom but it can go further at the top. There's several ways to correct the problem. You can drill and tap the front for a set screw, solder a bead on the end of it, or fill the front of the hole with something like a leather plug.