The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 24, 2008, 12:47 AM   #1
Sixer

DIY Rifle Rest

I have my mind set on a new project. I'm becoming more and more like my father every day... scary!

I would like to make my own rifle rest for use at the range. I dont need anything too fancy but I would like it to be adjustable and sturdy. I am looking for something that I could use to sight in or just clean my rifles with. I am not a metal worker or welder, so the plans need to be fairly simple. Inexpensive materials are a priority. I guess it would defeat the whole purpose by spending more on parts than it would cost to just buy one at the store. Here are a few links I was checking out just to give a visual.

http://www.benchmasterusa.com/
http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/pred.html
http://www.titegroup.com/beast62008.jpg

No way I can whip up any of these in my garage, but Im hoping you guys may have some advice on where to start or some experience of your own you would be willing to share! Thanks
Old June 24, 2008, 05:10 PM   #2
brj

Quote:
I would like to make my own rifle rest for use at the range.
I know what you're saying there. I made a target stand out of PVC pipe and it was as much fun to build as it is to use.

Having said that, I have one of those Predators from MTM, and we have used it a lot.
Old June 25, 2008, 12:11 AM   #3
Sixer

Exactly... building it yourself is half the fun. I was actually browsing at Lowe's last night and when I explained to one of the employees what I was thinking about building, he mentioned PVC for the job.

Anyway Im basically just looking for any gun related "projects" that require basic skills and limited resources.

I recently finished a rifle "toolbox" that was a fun little project. Very simple, but I tried to outfit it with as many accessories that might be usefull. Turned out to be VERY handy, and I avoided giving Wal-Mart any more of my $$$$ for their rifle cleaning kit.

If anyone has any handgun or rifle projects they've attempted themselves please share pics, instructions, whatever you got!
Old July 12, 2008, 06:13 PM   #4
NineInchNails

I use the one shown on this site and the shipping was free:
http://www.foxvalleyfirearms.com/pro...roducts_id=217

It works well, but it's not the best. I had a hard time finding one that works with my AR-15s but this one definitely works. I have a sock that I filled with lead for added weight.

I'm all for a good DIY so don't get me wrong, but I think you may find that making one might prove to be more problematic that it's worth. You won't be disapointed after buying one. I find them extremely handy when zeroing in a scope. A good bipod or barrel rest is fine for just shooting.
Old July 13, 2008, 03:50 AM   #5
Sixer

Thanks for the link NIN... I figured out pretty quick that even IF I could make one myself, it would cost more than just buying it.