The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 25, 2015, 03:38 PM   #1
TomADC

Skeet Range

I've been grousing because my skeet range was shut down few years back and here in San Diego County there wasn't another one except a private club to shoot at. That left only 5 Stand or Trap that's okay but I'm a skeet guy. I just found out that Camp Pendleton has a skeet range and I'm eligible to use it.
Driving out there next week to see what is required to bring shotgun on base if anything.
I'm a family camper again, also one of the new members in our RV club wants to start also.
Old April 25, 2015, 04:31 PM   #2
SARuger

Hell yeah! I love skeet, not good at it, but love it.

I'm going to try sporting clays soon, our clays park has 22 stations or something like that. They call it "golf with a gun" they even have cart rentals if you don't want to walk the course.

We have wobble trap, upland trap, 5 stand as well. And only 35 minutes from my house.
Old April 25, 2015, 04:40 PM   #3
TomADC

We used to have a great set up at two different locations one was the old Winchester club that had sat for years then a fellow leased it and we had Trap, Skeet, 5 stand and sporting clays, came time to renew the lease and some anti got a hold of the woman that owned the property and claimed the ground was covered in lead and ruined, big lie of course, Chip really kept the plasce up to sniff. I belonged to Miramar Skeet/trap for years later changed to San Diego Shotgun Sports, then the Marines took the base over and a retired general didn't like the club claimed lead outside our area closed us down, even Duncan Hunter couldn't help us change their minds.
Old April 25, 2015, 05:58 PM   #4
FITASC

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/list.php/CA

Lemon Grove is listed as Public/Private
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 25, 2015, 06:06 PM   #5
TomADC

Lemon Grove doesn't have Skeet, this thread is about skeet in San Diego County.
Lemon Grove is a nice place to shoot.
Hope this didn't sound rude, wasn't meant to be, just wanted to stay on subject.

Last edited by TomADC; April 25, 2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old April 25, 2015, 08:36 PM   #6
FITASC

Well, I tried to help
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 26, 2015, 11:18 AM   #7
TomADC

If it helps I do pattern my shotguns.
The P2K range is good also plus they have rifle & pistol ranges some indoors.
South Bay Rod and Gun has Trap and are talking of adding skeet. They also have hi power rifle, muzzle loaders, and two pistol ranges.

Last edited by TomADC; April 26, 2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old April 28, 2015, 12:16 AM   #8
Rob228

If you want to make a few days out of it, there is an RV park at Lake O'Neil which is only about a 5 minute drive from the skeet range on Pendleton, if you're eligible to get on the range you should be eligible to camp.
Old April 28, 2015, 08:30 AM   #9
TomADC

Rob, that's a nice park also, I've been on the base numerous times just didn't know about the skeet range there. I'm in Chula Vista not that bad of a drive.
Old April 28, 2015, 08:33 AM   #10
TomADC

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Va...47696e117f5a52
Old May 7, 2015, 07:01 PM   #11
Bake

Was just talking with my son last night. He's on Camp Pendleton now. He goes out to the skeet/trap range, maybe once a week. they're open 1000hrs to 1630hrs. Wednesday thru Sunday. No problem bringing your shotgun on the base.

Let me know when you're going to be there. If I'm ( US Air Force, Retired, '62 thru '83) in the area, and my son is free, we might be able to join you, for a round or two, and to let you know, how proud we are of you , for overcoming, all those years in Navy.l

http://.mccscpwww.com/shoot/

Last edited by Bake; May 8, 2015 at 01:58 AM.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:12 AM   #12
TomADC

Bake I'll do that!
BTW I see the US Air Force has a ship now!

Old May 8, 2015, 11:29 AM   #13
Bake

I believe, that's (the) Base Lake at Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota. In fact it looks like the summer time (15 Jul. thru 30 Jul.).
Old May 8, 2015, 01:17 PM   #14
TomADC

I was a air dale in the Navy Chief Aviation Machinist Mate. Aircrew on the C1A,C2A and C-130.
Old May 8, 2015, 01:51 PM   #15
Bake

I was dirt radio repair (Ground Radio Communications) SLF,HF,VHF,& UHF radio, Plus anything else no one wanted to work on...Oh, and we were issued cool sunglasses

Last edited by Bake; May 8, 2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old May 8, 2015, 03:49 PM   #16
TomADC

Bake you ever do one of the other ranges in the area? P2K, SBRG or Lemon Grove? No skeet but 5 stand & trap.

BTW forgot earlier thank your son for me for his service and your's also.
Old May 8, 2015, 04:25 PM   #17
Bake

No, I retired in Texas, and was head home to Seattle, when we stopped up here in Merced to visit the In-Laws. Biggest mistake I made in a long time, 20+ years later, I never got out of here.

The only reason I go down to Oceanside is to see my Son, his Wife, and my Grand Daughter. The wives go shopping, and the son & I checkout the gun shops around there. In fact, I found my NIB 12ga. Model 12 w/o box down there. Plus there are a couple of cigar shops down there that are worth "Checking Out". I've got COPD so bad now, I don't smoke cigars anymore, but I still love the smell. I've had to mount a rod holder, a gun rack, and shell holder to my walker.
Old May 8, 2015, 04:40 PM   #18
CockNBama

Bake, you need to add a ring turret and a cup holder...
Old May 8, 2015, 04:42 PM   #19
TomADC

I was a heavy cigar smoker on active duty, but tapered off during civilian life.
Would like to score a cuban Cohiba cigar when we do our cruise in the fall.
Still have a humidor full of cigars but don't smoke very often.
Old May 8, 2015, 04:51 PM   #20
Bake

Quote:
BTW forgot earlier thank your son for me for his service and your's also.
Thanks are not required. It was a honor, and besides in 1962, my Draft Card had me down as "1-A". For my Son, I wanted his sorry (20 year old) ass out of the house.
Old May 8, 2015, 04:59 PM   #21
Bake

Quote:
Bake, you need to add a ring turret and a cup holder...

I can do that
Old May 8, 2015, 06:51 PM   #22
Dreaming100Straight

Navy retired, AF retired. Get On Topic. That's alright. I guess 20 in would scramble anybody's brain; especially USN or USAF. I was in and out as quick as I could get, but it wasn't either of those outfits, but I have to admit to being an air winger even if I did my time at Pendleton. Sempre Fi to Bake's son from a Hollywood Marine.
Old May 8, 2015, 10:56 PM   #23
Bake

[QUOTE] [Navy retired, AF retired. Get On Topic. That's alright. I guess 20 in would scramble anybody's brain; especially USN or USAF. I was in and out as quick as I could get, but it wasn't either of those outfits, but I have to admit to being an air winger even if I did my time at Pendleton. Sempre Fi to Bake's son from a Hollywood Marine. /QUOTE]

I'll pass it on. From one Hollywood Marine to another Hollywood Marine.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:36 PM   #24
Skeets
Member in memoriam

Hi from Indiana

Just reading about you guys regrouping to shoot skeet.Good luck from an Indiana skeet shooter.It truly is a brotherhood!