The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 14, 2007, 05:42 PM   #1
SDiver40

Hardness tester

Hello
Just wondering if anyone has used one of these testers and how well they work?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=731364
Thanks much
Old May 14, 2007, 05:49 PM   #2
benedict1

I think it's 5 bucks cheaper here--and S&H will be less, I'm certain.

http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products.../leadtest.html
Old May 14, 2007, 06:47 PM   #3
snuffy

Yes, they work quite well. It lets you know what hardness your bullet is. The microscope takes a lot of getting used to, It's best to have the indented side of the lead on a firm well lit surface, then manuvure the microscope over to take a reading.

The method used is to take a file, make a flat surface on the bullet/lead, then put it into the "V" block that takes the place of the shell holder. It is then held against the ball on the end of the tester for 60 seconds while the shaft is even with the top end of the die. This exerts 60# on the lead being tested for a known time.
Then the width of the dimple/dent is measured by looking through the microscope to compare the dimple with the built in scale in the scope. A sheet with instructions come with the kit, and on that sheet is the scale readings with their corresponding BHN values.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 15, 2007, 12:05 PM   #4
SDiver40

Hello and thanks for your info on the tester. It is great to get an idea as to how something works BEFORE you order it.
I hope I can return the favor sometime
Tom
Old May 15, 2007, 06:04 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

In theory it should work well, but the one I have gives results about 5 BHN high in the magnum pistol bullet range. I have yet to call Lee about it, but will do so after I've had time to check it on some pure lead as a reference.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 16, 2007, 10:35 AM   #6
snuffy

Nick, what you're saying is it is reading higher than the bullets should be? After using mine for a couple of months, I have to say it sems to be accurate according to the alloys I have. I was a bit surprised that one of my alloy mixes was harder than expected. It's useable as is for rifle, but a bit too hard for low pressure 45 acp or 38's.

That is exactly why I got it, to know for certain what results I was getting when mixing lead. That particular alloy was nearly pure lead mixed with linotype metal at 15 lbs soft to 5 pounds lino. It comes out at 14 BHN right after casting, aged to 18.0 BHN a week later.

Next time I alloy, I'm going to cut the lino in half to come out with a softer mix for 45's.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 17, 2007, 08:04 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

I had some bullets from alloy I'd mixed myself from old linotype and wheel weights that should have come out around BHN 16, but read 21 on the Lee tool and about 15 on the LBT tool. I also had a box of Meister bullets, whose web site claim they use virgin alloy desinged to have about that same hardness range. These also measured about 20-21 on the Lee tool. I've got some pure lead bricks from a dismantled nuclear laboratory. I want to cast some up for slugging bullets anyway, and when I do, I will cross-check that I land on about BHN 5. I've got ball bearings and a load cell I can put in my press to replicate the orignal Brinell test. I'll try that for comparison when I get time.

I will try to remember to let you know the result. I am very busy with work these days, so it may be awhile. I also have some contacts over at Ohio State's Engineering Department, and may be able to arrange to have a student run a comparison on their lab equipment for me, or at least to give me calibration points on a couple of standard samples? Be good to get some cross-calibration going.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 18, 2007, 08:27 AM   #8
dromia

Check out the Cabine Tree one, its the gnats gonads as far as I'm concerned

http://www.castingstuff.com/cabinetr...g_products.htm