The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 25, 2001, 12:23 PM   #1
KelBench400

PA state gamelands?

I keep hearing that the PA state gamelands have ranges. Can someone give me some information on the locations, types and cost of these ranges? I'm in the Lehigh Valley if it helps.

Thanks,
Kel
Old October 25, 2001, 05:43 PM   #2
Jamie Young

Yes Pa has them but they are terrible. If you accidentally put 4 rds in a rifle and a Game Commisssion Person or State Trooper see's you, YOU GET A $100 fine. There is one IN Nockamixon State Park. And there is one in Eckville PA just outside of Allentown. There is also one at French Creek State Park. They are all free but they are not maintained very well. Most of them are 25yd pistol ranges and 100yd rifle ranges.

I joined a Gun Club called Water and Wings just outside of Quakertown just so I didn't have to deal with the BS with the Game Commission.
Old October 25, 2001, 06:15 PM   #3
9mmMike

I shoot at the French Creek range all the time.
I think that the fine is more than 100.00 and I also believe that it may be per round! I had a friend of mine busted there for close to a grand.
I would never shoot pistol or rifle (can't even imagine reloading every three rounds!) there but it is the only place that I have found where I can shoot hand trap. Although I detest the limit and have written to complain many times, the three round limit is not really a problem for shotgun and like I said, there is nowhere else to shoot hand tossed clays around here. Sadly, not even Water&Wings has a place to do that.
When I was a young lad, before the three round limit, I used to shoot at Nockamixon but I got hasseled for shooting (with my .22 cal) at things that were not paper and even though I explained that I had not brought the cans and that I always left the place cleaner than when I got there (can't shake the boyscout in me!), the ranger dude was a Richard Cranium all the way. I will not go there anymore.
The good news is that it's free.
Let me know if you need someone to toss 'em for ya!
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old October 27, 2001, 06:51 PM   #4
dinosaur

There`s one on rte 93.

That`s 443 to 209 through Jim Thorpe to 93. It has a 300 yd rifle range. It`s ok. I go a lot in the summer since it`s only 10 minutes from my house. It gets crowded around this time from the deer hunters. The turkey hunters are morons as they shoot the crap out of the pistol range. There is absolutely no shot allowed on state ranges. Slug only. I`ve never seen any Game Commission or troopers there.

You have The Firing Line indoor range in Whitehall also.
Old October 27, 2001, 08:21 PM   #5
Jamie Young

Dinosaur-
You know you should start a thread on guys with Shotguns at Pistol ranges. I left a range a few years ago because a bunch of kids walked up to the 25yd targets and shot them with buckshot and size 6. I was like I'M GETTING OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!
Old October 28, 2001, 04:49 AM   #6
dinosaur

Soda, I did during turkey season.

Totally ignored. I can understand patterning a shotgun but these yahoos go right up to the wood crossbars and destroy them. Then they wonder why land gets posted.

I`ve never been present when it was done. I go early in the morning and never have a problem with other shooters. Some are strange but respect the rules.