The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 25, 2001, 09:51 AM   #1
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

This is a nostalgia question. In the late 70's I purchased a used FN HiPower. The pistol was blued-about 95%. It was marked as I remember on one side of the slide with Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre. I believe it had Grand (Grande?)Puissance on it also. It was also marked Browning patent depose and had a lanyard ring, ring hammer, and walnut grips. Serial number 47712. This pistol was stolen from me in 1981 or 1982. I later saw an identical model at a gun show with no original finish left and priced ten times what I paid for the firearm. Can you give me any information about the pistol? Thanks in advance.
Old February 25, 2001, 06:26 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

You seem to pretty much have covered the bases. There are some variations in the High Powers, so without knowing more info on what you had and what you saw later, there would be no way to tell why the price difference.

Not much help, I'm afraid.

Jim
Old February 25, 2001, 07:49 PM   #3
Hard Ball

The serial number of your pistol would indicate that it was produced before the German ocupation in 1940.
Old February 26, 2001, 09:17 AM   #4
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Jim,

As far as the set up of the pistol and the words and styling of lettering the two pistols I saw were identical except mine was near mint and the other was in poor condition but appeared to be sound mechanically. I remember there were various proof marks on my pistol but I cannot remember details. There were no military or police marks of any kind. I gave all the information I had to the police at the time it was stolen. A few years ago, I asked a policeman friend to check the database and he told me it was still listed as stolen. I keep hoping it will turn up one day but then if it did it would probably not have been well treated.
Old February 26, 2001, 09:19 AM   #5
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Hard Ball,

Any idea what year?
Old February 26, 2001, 12:21 PM   #6
Hard Ball

Off the top of my head it has to be between 1935 amd june 1940. I believe that serial numbers had reached @56,500 at the time of the German occupation of the FN factory. Pistols produced at FN after that date normally have waffenmat testing and acceptance marks.
Old February 26, 2001, 12:21 PM   #7
Hard Ball

Off the top of my head it has to be between 1935 amd june 1940. I believe that serial numbers had reached @56,500 at the time of the German occupation of the FN factory. Pistols produced at FN after that date normally have waffenmat testing and acceptance marks.
Old February 27, 2001, 12:22 AM   #8
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Anybody know where I can get specific information based on the serial number?
Old February 27, 2001, 01:54 PM   #9
Hard Ball

Sorry, I don't. I have never been able to find a source that lists serial numbers versus years of production for FN prior to 1940. If you find one, please let me know.