The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 25, 2000, 12:41 PM   #1
Battler

After purchase, I noticed that the cylinder didn't spin extra-freely when out on the crane, so when pulling the cyl. to clean it I also oiled this up - cylinder spins fine.

I don't know if this is normal; but the spot where the yoke meets the cylinder was originally completely dry.

While not expecting 686-smooth trigger pulls, the pull on this gun seems (very) significantly harder than on my S&W686 - beyond just the difficulty of having an inferior grip - my finger actually hurts as much from firing this as my hand does from shooting magnums in the little gun - aren't they both (stock) supposed to be 11 pounds? Also, while not gritty, the trigger pull seems harder in some parts of the pull than others.

If this is normal for the little beast, then I'm fine with it. But if there's some critical piece of lubrication missing inside that may be worth opening up the gun to look for - I'd like to check before having it deteriorate from any friction.

BTW - (and I ask because I suspect from other posts that some pro gunsmiths are about) what's the first thing to go on a j-frame from shooting "too many" full load magnums in this gun? Does the frame crack, or do the parts just get sloppy? How many magnums does it typically take to destroy this gun? (Or will it destroy my hand first).

thanks,
Battler.

Old March 25, 2000, 01:03 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Battler, I would want a light coat of oil anywhere that parts come into contact with each other. The trigger pull sounds normal for an out-of-the-box j frame. I really have no idea how many rounds it might take to actually damage the pistol. That will vary from one to the next. I think it will out live your hand. George
Old March 25, 2000, 10:27 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

For lubrication, use a good gun oil. Make sure the gun is unloaded. Then, cock the hammer and put 3-4 drops into the gap in front of the hammer. Then turn the gun over and put 2 drops into the gap in front of the trigger. Swing out the cylinder and put 2 drops on the ratchet. Push out the ejector rod and put 1 drop on it. Then put another drop into the slight gap between the cylinder and the crane, and one at the junction of the crane and frame. That should do it.

If you want to remove the cylinder, another drop on the cylinder spindle won't hurt.

You don't need to over lubricate and doing so will only make the gun hold dirt and grunge.

Jim