The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2015, 06:35 PM   #1
PBearCO

Help With Starting Load For 44 Mag 240 Nosler JSP (Blue Dot)

I have two pounds of Blue Dot (newer) and I'd like to load some 44 Mag this week. Question is: What's a good starting load? I see conflicting data. I'll be using Nosler 240 grain JSPs, CCI primers, and Starline brass with the Blue Dot.

Alliant's website shows a single measure. 13.7 grains @1285 fps in an 8.3" barrel. Nosler's data shows 14-16 grains, with the 14 grain measure @1310 fps out of an 8.5" barrel. Now, I say conflicting because I don't know if Alliant's load is max or starting, but data seems to be dead on, that .3 grains more would produce about 30 fps more. Both sets of data pretty much use the same OAL.

Speer #14 suggests 13.7 grains Blue Dot with a 240 gr at similar OAL is MAX, @ 1285 fps. Consistent data, except the max load from Speer and Alliant is pretty much the starting load for Nosler.

Hornady #9 uses an OAL 0.02" longer for their XTPs, with 14.0 grains Blue Dot roughly around 1280. Again, seems to make sense with the above data. Slightly longer OAL, slightly less velocity. Hornady shows 13.7 grains right in the middle of their starting and max loads.

Lyman #49 shows an even longer OAL by 0.03" and shows two different 240 grain projectiles -- a JHP and a JHC. For the JHP, loads start (!!!) at the max load for the JHC. Lyman used a 4" barrel, and the velocities agree with the shorter barrel compared to the data from the other sources. 14.4 grain starting with the JHP @ 960 fps and max of 16 grain @ 1160.

So, all data make sense, really except the starting load.

Should I just start at 14.0 grain with the Nosler data or should I start a tad more conservative? Nosler found the 14.0 grain load to be "most accurate" out of their gun. I'm using a 4.2" Redhawk so we'll see where my most accurate is. Or -- should I start a tad shy of the 14.0 grain as listed by Nosler, such as 13.5 or 13.7?

Thanks!!!
Old February 8, 2015, 08:21 PM   #2
buck460XVR

I would use the Nosler info first because you are using their bullets. The Alliant site only gives BD info with the old Gold Dot bullets from Speer(now called Deep Curls). BTW....Speer #14 also shows 13.7 as max with their 240gr GD. As for the Alliant recipe, if you read their disclaimers as you enter their site, you'll see they state......"REDUCE RIFLE AND HANDGUN CHARGE WEIGHTS BY 10% TO ESTABLISH A STARTING LOAD."