The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 29, 2013, 03:04 PM   #1
WVBassFan

Ready to load... I think??? ... LOL

OK ... I have everything in place I have been researching alot and here is what I have so far... Can you guys check my data and make sure its all good... I certainly am not going to load 500 rounds at first only 20 or so and shoot a couple of mags to see how she does...

IMR 700-X 46 Gr. / 200 Gr. Cast SWC

Lee Mold 452-200-SWC 200 Grain.. Hensley and Gibbs # 68 Design Bullet.

Shooting through a Springfield XDs ... Any recommendations for OAL ????
Old November 29, 2013, 03:10 PM   #2
NWPilgrim

You mean 4.6 grains of 700-X powder, not 46 grains, right?
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old November 29, 2013, 03:18 PM   #3
WVBassFan

LOL.... well maybe I could cram 46 in there if I smashed it down and packed it really well...Boy that would be some fireworks... yes...4.6... my typing skills leaves little to be desired....
Old November 29, 2013, 03:20 PM   #4
WVBassFan

4.4 was the start load according to the manual... I figured I would have to go up at least one maybe more... The XDs has a real stiff spring... I want the minimum load I can get by with but I want it to cycle good and be reliable...
Old November 29, 2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Wreck-n-Crew

So I am assuming 45ACP from your information. OAL is more determined by the firearm than the listed information on the DLC.

I would suggest a dummy round and do a plunk test to insure the OAL is not to long starting with a 1.255 OAL.

Some on here have some more experience with Winchester 700x and might be able to add some charge suggestions after you determine what you OAL is.
r
For me if you have to shorten your OAL then you might want to compensate by reducing charge a tad and seeing you have chosen 4.6 GRN's as your start load I felt it best to point that out. Even if the 4.6 GRNS is the starting load on the DLC there is no harm with caution, and seeking some input from others was wise IMO.

BTW the 200 SWC is a nice round and a fine choice.
Old November 29, 2013, 10:07 PM   #6
WVBassFan

1st run

I have a few to try ... hopefully tomorrow... I loaded some 4.5 gr on the 700x actually ...the auto index didn't have a 4.6 so I'll see how that goes... it took awhile to get that bullet seat just right and I am not real sure how to tell if the crimp is right (4 die set) but it seems nice and smooth...I'll see how they feed and fire ... hopefully tomorrow...

Old November 29, 2013, 10:36 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Lyman has one 200 grain bullet (H&G 68 shape) with 4.4 grains of 700X as a starting load, but another (shorter, more blunt nose SWC) with just 4.0 grains as the starting load. The difference appears to be seating depth. Your's look like H&G 68 profile loads and so will probably be OK. As a general rule, though, skipping starting loads isn't a good idea because I've twice run into starting loads that were already maximum loads for the particular guns involved. It only takes about 6 to 8 rounds to work up through the load while watching for pressure signs, so it's not like it's a great financial burden.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 30, 2013, 07:32 AM   #8
WVBassFan

My starting load was actually 4.4 (according to my book) ... I loaded a 4.5 because the auto index didn't have a 4.4 or a 4.6 option so I am kinda limited aside from measuring out each load. I agree wholeheartedly and thats why I just loaded up a few... I want to get out the kinks worked out then lock it all down and go to town... I've got 500 cases so far but want more... thanks for all the input and hopefully I'll post results today....

Old November 30, 2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I too tried a bullet most similar years ago. Very poor functioning in my Colts was encountered. Found my weapons responded much better to the RCBS designs. But you'll have to judge for yourself.
Old November 30, 2013, 10:21 AM   #10
flashhole

I shoot the same profile bullet in my 40 S&W that I make using a Lee mold. It is called a truncated cone.

A potential problem I see with the loads in your picture - The round will headspace/chamber in your gun on the forward rim of the brass. The small protrusion of the bullet shoulder that sticks up above the case rim will act like a false rim and may cause feed problems. At least it did in my gun. It kept jamming even though I had plenty of blow-back pressure.

I had the bullet seated to the recommended COL but I did'nt get the feed problems worked out until I seated the lead shoulder flush or just below the rim on the case. Then all was good and I smiled a lot. I think this problem is unique to the bullet profile and ball type bullets will not have this issue.

Good luck.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old November 30, 2013, 12:04 PM   #11
mikld

Try the "plunk" test? Actually no "crimp" is needed on a 45 ACP, just use the taper crimp die to remove any flare in the case mouth. Even a little too much crimp can lead to problems (bulged cases, short headspace, etc.).

Site didn't allow me to upload pic of "thunk" or "plunk" test... Try a search?

Search did no help either...

try this;

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...8&d=1361813810

Last edited by mikld; November 30, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old November 30, 2013, 06:15 PM   #12
WVBassFan

It was only about 20 rounds but they functioned flawlessly.... Just got back a little while ago... Accurate (as accurate as the shooter anyway) ... zero FTF ... I will probably load another small-medium size batch with these settings and check again next weekend.... Thanks for all the help...
Old November 30, 2013, 06:29 PM   #13
jamaica

Quote:
It was only about 20 rounds but they functioned flawlessly
Very good. Love a success story. Have fun!
Old November 30, 2013, 06:31 PM   #14
flashhole

Yeah, good job and welcome to the addiction.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old November 30, 2013, 10:27 PM   #15
NWPilgrim

Ready to load... I think??? ... LOL

What a great start! That is a very good habit to get into: whenever you have a doubt, stop and think, do more research if necessary. Never forge ahead when you are not sure about something in your reload recipe or process.

Well done.
Old December 1, 2013, 06:54 AM   #16
WVBassFan

Also experimented with a new gong plate I made.... Apparently metal too soft for the AR-15 but worked great for the 45.... the 2 holes obviously is from the AR and the 4 clean circles are from factory FMJ .45 ACP loads but the 4 "splats" are from my reloads which is by far the best... does very little damage to the gong and makes as good as a sound as anything else... reloads are the way to go... Now to find a better target for my AR-15 ...