The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 10, 2014, 05:41 PM   #1
armoredman

RAMI BD first time out

It is always fun when you get to burn off that new gun smell. Of course, we're speaking of my wife's B-day present, her new CZ 2075 RAMI BD! She was going to come out to shoot it today, but didn't feel good, so she told me to test fire the new blaster and see how it works...gee, twist my arm, honey!

Looks good on the firing line.

So, here I am with a brand new CZ pistol...but I am used to BIG pistols, like my Phantom I carry every day, or my P-09...not subcompacts. So I decide I'll be "fair" about testing, and shoot from the "braced" position, since this is a little gun. This proved to be an error, as the following targets can show.

It got worse, see the two groups? Kinda bled over to the left, didn't it...

Notice a trend? Yep, the exact opposite of my politics - down and to the Left. Well, this isn't good. Then I felt a tiny little hand smack me between the eyes, and a Czech accented voice yelling, "Idiot! I am COMBAT pistole, not TARGET pistole!"

Oops, my bad.
Old April 10, 2014, 05:42 PM   #2
armoredman

OK, so I moved the targets to 7.5 yards, about the longest shot in out little house...yes, it's little. I then took a normal shooting stance, and slammed home the 10 round mag. I had been using the 14 rounder for comfort, but figured if I ever used this one, (HAH, like she'd let me!), I might need the more concealable magazine. Nope. My pinky finger slid all over the front of the baseplate trying to find a place to hang out, as my normal grip put it right on the edge of the finger rest. Gah. Needs an ASP style finger ledge.

Back to the shooting - the very first magazine I shot was with the short mag. All the rest were with the longer one.

THAT'S better! ;D The little gun works better in a natural two hand hold. She chucked the brass nice and neatly off to the right and a little forward, no problems.

OK, so what else can we do? Why, I'm glad you asked! let's do something weird - how about a pocket pistol at 25 yards, standing? Eh, why not?

So, using the cast loads it decided it was OK with, I started. I decided to use a target from Project Appleseed, http://www.appleseedinfo.org/, which is a 100 yard rifle target adapted for 25 yards. Why? I was running out of others... :

So lets set it up...

That's a ways out there for a little gun. Bang away!

Old April 10, 2014, 05:43 PM   #3
armoredman

Honestly, better than I expected, really. But I will give it another try, just for grins and giggles. Out of 125s...guess I'll use 124s.

All five on paper at 25 yards standing. I thought I heard a heavenly choir begin to sing....nope, car stereo going down the dirt road behind me. Oh well. I was impressed. With the gun, not the stereo.
Functioning was excellent, with two minor stoppages, one being a light primer strike on one of my reloads. I'm willing to be that's my fault, because it fired on second strike with no problem. Second was a Failure to go into Battery, LAST ROUND. A light tap and it seated. This was after about 100 dirty cast loads in a brand new gun, so I'll call this a break in jam. Because I can.

CZs are, of course, natural born hams - here is the brothers and sister who came to the line with me today.

Hamming it up as usual, 2075 RAMI, P-01 and SP-01 Phantom. Beat that triple play
Old April 12, 2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Jim243

Nice pistol, I'm sure your wife will like it.

It appears from your targets you need a larger pistol grip. The down and to the left patterns are an indication that you are wrapping your trigger finger around the trigger and pulling down and to the left. (use the tip of your finger and get better trigger control and groups.) (first shots dead center and follow up shots off)

The two handed grip seems to have corrected that problem for you.

I have disposed of all my 3 inch pistols for pretty much the same problem. The only one I kept was a Bersa Series 95 in 380 ACP, but changed out the pistol grip for a larger one with finger groves. Even my compact 45 ACP (3.6 inch barrel) wears a slip on grip to give a wider and longer grip on the pistol. You may want to consider using a slip on grip if the RAMI is going to be used by you for CC. (not sure your wife will let you (LOL))

I see you favor the P-09, but how do you like your P-01?

It is one of my favorites.
Jim

Last edited by Jim243; April 12, 2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old April 12, 2014, 01:35 PM   #5
armoredman

The P-01 was my carry pistol for years until I got my Phantom. I used the P-01 at the same time/range trip/25 yard target, and this is what I got.

Old April 15, 2014, 01:05 AM   #6
JimmyR

The first thing I noticed about your post- We have the same range bag. Perfect size for carrying a few handguns and a few hundred rounds.

Second, I used to really like the idea of the Rami, but after handling a few, I think I like the PCR better. Can't find them anywhere (and don't have the cash to spend on one), but I like my CZ 75BD so much, it really is the logical minimization of the CZ75.

That said, sounds like you broke in your wife's pistol nicely for her. Enjoy, just make sure she gets it back...
Old April 15, 2014, 01:26 PM   #7
armoredman

It IS a great range bag, isn't it? Gets a few looks, too.
I love the PCR/P-01, think that series is one of the best CCW carry pistols ever designed. I'd take a PCR over the RAMI, but that's because of my hand not quite fitting that grip. I agree it's broken in nicely for her, and I have all the confidence in the world that she can hit a man sized target at the longest distance in our house if need be. And yes, she got it back before I got done editing the pictures for the review...she wasn't about to let it go out of sight for too long!
Old April 15, 2014, 03:30 PM   #8
Jim243

Quote:
And yes, she got it back before I got done editing the pictures for the review...she wasn't about to let it go out of sight for too long!
LOL, I can understand that!! Can't be too careful with husbands that are into guns (LOLOLOL)

Good luck
Jim