The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old April 14, 2013, 01:24 PM   #76
Evan Thomas

I've deleted some posts. No more bickering, please.
Old April 14, 2013, 07:25 PM   #77
besafe2

Question

I would like to know why the folks that open carry do so ? It attracts un necessary attention. Police officers & others carry concealed for a reason.
Old April 14, 2013, 08:26 PM   #78
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
I would like to know why the folks that open carry do so ?
I think a few have touched on the why in their replies, as have I.

Here is one reason.....to desensitize a public that have (for the better part of a hundred years) been removed from the open carry lifestyle by different states for different reasons. Feeling that once the public sees that the open carry people are good and safe people, they will relax and think nothing more of it.

In a sense is it any different from a G string being worn for the first time, or the first Pair of short shorts, or the first public display of affection by a gay couple or even the first nude beach.

All of the aforementioned were frowned upon and even brought complaints of outrage at one time. In the eyes of an open carry person.....they may see it this way except they are repeating what was lawful at one time about anywhere you went.

That is why I believe it is more of a personal preference than a new fad. Either way i hope we all can respect each other and agree to disagree in an adult like fashion.

I am CCW but that may change!
Old April 14, 2013, 10:53 PM   #79
JerryM

No doubt this will cause me to take a lot of flak, but I honestly think such people are just wanting to act macho. I wonder who they think they are impressing?

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old April 14, 2013, 11:38 PM   #80
GM2

Quote:
I would like to know why the folks that open carry do so ? It attracts un necessary attention. Police officers & others carry concealed for a reason.
Exactly! besafe2

I was LEO for thirty two years and the last twenty of those years was Detective lieutenant. While working in plain clothes our policy was to wear concealed. Sometimes while working a crime scene we would remove our jacket with our shields clipped on our shirt pocket. But mostly we kept them concealed. Just more professional to do rather than walking around open carrying.
Old April 15, 2013, 06:43 AM   #81
wpsdlrg

Open carry is legal here, but I don't do it. Calling attention to oneself that way is a bad idea, IMO.

Most of the open carriers I've seen are the Rambo wannabe/ in your face types.

To each his own, but I trained/ paid for and prepared for CC - so that's the only way for me.
Old April 15, 2013, 12:25 PM   #82
P5 Guy

I find it hard to believe you think anyone is really paying attention to any of you? Open carry and see just how many others are noticing. But that's just me I think that most people are so self absorb they walk off a cliff.
Old April 15, 2013, 12:54 PM   #83
Water-Man

Listen to this.

Now we have pro gun folks not only bitching about open carry but about the type of holster being worn.

and you wonder why we're in the state we are.
Old April 15, 2013, 01:02 PM   #84
zincwarrior

Quote:
You and your wife have a legal and moral right to have sexual relations. But would you do so on a church pew or in the mall?
You have to admit, it would be a novel way to increase Sunday attendance...
Old April 15, 2013, 01:24 PM   #85
BuckRub

Lol. This has stayed way away from the question. A lot of funny/corny posts now. Good overall to see different views but some believe one way , others another. (Different people think different) not wrong way or right just different.
Old April 15, 2013, 01:33 PM   #86
Frank Ettin
Staff

It was a good thread while it lasted, but it's starting to deteriorate. Time to go on to something else.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread