The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1
3kgt2nv

reloading for the .32 s&w long wc only

I picked up a hammerli p240 in .32 s&w long in wc only configuration. Finding reloading data for this was a chore so i decided to start from scratch and develop my on load. I started at 2.0 gr bullseye using a 83gr berry plated hbwc.

results are looking good so far. dead on point of impact. no excessive case bulge like with the factory federal stuff and very mild recoil.

Any one else reload this excat cartridge and if so what powder and charge do you use since im just guessing at this particular load?

thanks
Matt
Old December 3, 2012, 07:49 AM   #2
FlyFish

I and most of the guys on my pistol team get outstanding accuracy in our Walther GSPs using 1.8 gr of W231 under a 98 gr DEWC. Most of us use bullets from Magnus, their product No. 204. Those with deeper pockets shoot the considerably more expensive Lapua HBWCs, but I don't think it makes a great deal of difference.

Last edited by FlyFish; December 3, 2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:30 AM   #3
3kgt2nv

With these taking such a light powder charge how the the weight deviation on the magnus bullets? I sorted the box of 250the berry bullets by weight to keep them more consistent
Old December 3, 2012, 11:41 AM   #4
FlyFish

I've never bothered to do that, nor do I know of anyone else who has. With the 50 ft. distances we're shooting at, I don't think there's any practical difference in point of impact due to weight differences in bullets. Or, if there is some theoretical improvement possible by sorting bullets according to weight, it's going to be too small for my humble skills to take advantage of. From a rest, at 50 ft. my GSP shoots my handloads into one not-very-ragged hole - offhand, not so much.
Old February 19, 2013, 03:02 AM   #5
ALBEITAR

By the way, wich diameter do you use for theis pistol (Hämmerli P240), .311. .312, .313?
I have just bought a 500 box of H&N .312 HBWC to test in my pistol, I wil try them with Vectan BA10 (1.1-1.3 grains).

Regards
Old February 19, 2013, 11:55 AM   #6
WIL TERRY

I have loaded many tens if thousands of 32S&WLONG WC ammunition. ALL of my 32LONG and 32 MAG guns prefer 98 to 100GR WC bullets flying right at 890to 900fps. AT last count I think I've tested at least ten propellents in those loads. I was sitting here thinking about how fine damn near all of the test loads shot and remembered the first six rounds of 32LONG 100gr Wc test loads from a RUGER 6 1/2" SSM 32MAG put all six bullets in .40" at 25 yards off the sandbag rests. I was impressed !!! NO !!! I will not tell you the data as you are using a non-locked blowback pistol; BIG difference.

Last edited by WIL TERRY; February 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old February 19, 2013, 08:01 PM   #7
SHR970

Will you tell me? I've been meaning to get around to doing a WC load for my 1984 three digit S/N Single Six. You will probably save me some frustration...like what I am going through for a great 115 gr. cast load.