The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 3, 2013, 01:55 AM   #1
okiewita40

RIA M5 12ga

I picked up one of these today. It was $245 OTD. Took it home and broke it down and cleaned it. Seems to fall in weight wise between a Rem 870 and a Moss. 500.

The action seems fairly smooth for bring NIB. I may have to add a better recoil pad, but I will decide on that after I take to the range next week. Here is a link. https://us.armscor.com/products/m5-shotgun

I am not too sure about the speed feed type stock and the heat shield will more than likely be coming off also.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:25 PM   #2
Keepin_Jeepin

Ive never seen that one before. I thought I was going to get an IAC hawk but after research I am buying this gun tonight!

I am so glad I stumbled on this thread!!
Old January 3, 2013, 11:04 PM   #3
Mrgunsngear

Where did you find it?
Old January 3, 2013, 11:19 PM   #4
okiewita40

One of my old Lt's opened his own gun shop. He had it in stock.
Old January 5, 2013, 02:32 AM   #5
Lee Lapin

It's a modernization of the old High Standard pump design (Flite King etc), with an added action bar so that it has two. If it's well executed as far as production/manufacture is concerned, there is nothing at all wrong with the design. The only one I've handled so far was NIB and pretty gritty feeling, but I'd expect a good cleaning and some honest use/wear to fix that.

Hope it works well for you, I have an old trade-in High Standard riot gun from my county SO by way of a local gun shop that's the slickest pump I own. The back of the bolt locks into a notch in the top of the steel receiver like a Model 12 Winchester, which helps a lot with the slickitude. Point it (empty, of course) straight up with the hammer cocked, the action locked and the safety on, hit the action release and the bolt will open up all the way without even having to touch the forearm...

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old January 6, 2013, 04:13 AM   #6
Keepin_Jeepin

I just bought a new in box nickel plated one online. Looking forward to getting it and trying it out.
Old January 10, 2013, 01:58 AM   #7
okiewita40

Well I took it out Sunday. Ran 100 rounds of bird shot. Winchester 100 shell value pack. and 5 slugs through it. Had problems with the value pack stuff not wanting to feed or extract.

Now it ran smooth as butter on the slugs. I have been cycling 00 buck shells through it at home. cycles great no hang up's at all. I think I have a keeper.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:48 PM   #8
Lee Lapin

Inside the house, it's best to use action proving dummies rather than live ammo for cycling... helps avoid sudden loud noises and unintended redecoration.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...872-16765.aspx

Cheap valu-pak shotgun shells have been known to cause sticky extraction in the past...

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old January 10, 2013, 11:02 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

May need to "Flitz" the chamber and other parts... I hope you like the purchase...

I almost hit up the ATM (ask the missus) for the 500 Mossberg 12ga. in wood furniture at Walmart for $249 but she knows I have a pump gun already so she is holding tight to the war funds chest so I can eventually get that 930 with walnut stocks

Brent
Old January 11, 2013, 05:17 AM   #10
Keepin_Jeepin

When I buy those 100 round bricks for 12ga I usually have issues with them cycling. In most of my shotguns.

I hope I dont have issues in my m5 though. Its on its way in the mail now.
Old January 19, 2013, 04:28 AM   #11
Keepin_Jeepin

I just got mine tonight. What a fantastic shotgun. Its not real high end but thats to be expected with some (very small) finish issues. Slide feels like its rolling on ball bearings its so smooth. Overall very happy with it. It looks fantastic though, and feels good. Cant wait to shoot it.

Did I mention the finish issues are extremely trivial? Hardly worth mentioning.
Old January 20, 2013, 12:33 AM   #12
okiewita40

After putting just over 100 rounds through mine. I can take an empty gun close the action, stand it on it's butt, hit the action release and it opens all the way.

The Mossberg 500 i used to have and my 870 at work are nowhere as slick as this.
Old January 20, 2013, 02:38 PM   #13
Keepin_Jeepin

Mine did that straight out of the box, I am so impressed with it.