The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 3, 2013, 12:42 PM   #1
springfieldxds45

new taurus p 145 vs springfield xds....

I have a xds but I've been looking at the newer Taurus p 145...I just wondering everyone elses take on this....pros and cons...???? The Taurus p 145 holds more rounds then the xds...
Old January 3, 2013, 01:37 PM   #2
tahunua001

the XDs is a new design based on the well proven XD design. it is rapidly building it's own reputation as a highly reliable concealed carry pistol.

on the other hand Taurus has a nasty reputation for cutting corners, poor quality control and hit or miss customer service to boot. I have seen Taurus revolvers lock up numerous times...and the whole selling point of a revolver is that it is supposed to be more reliable than a semi auto. on the other hand I have never seen a XD of any variant(including XDM and XDS) fail and I have rented just about all of them and owned 3 XDMs of various calibers and sizes.

I would recommend you keep the XDS, in a standard concealed carry scenario you are only going to need to fire once or twice, three times tops if the perp doesn't go down. 6 rounds is more than enough to serve you in any situation you are likely to see.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:44 PM   #3
bamiller

Had a PT145 and sold it after two trips back to Taurus for the mag popping out and terrible acurracy. Have an XDs now and IMO there is no comparision, the XDs hands down.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:30 PM   #4
stolivar

your kidding right

You are thinking of replacing the XDs with a Taurus..........

What are you thinking.

steve
Old January 4, 2013, 02:31 AM   #5
Bamashooter

Ive been carrying my pt-145 for over 4yrs. Its had thousands of rounds run thru it without any issues. Its compact and easy to conceal and it holds 10+1. I like the new XDs but since my Taurus is still going strong I will keep carrying it. Im a big guy with big hands and the XDs doesnt fit as good as the Taurus does. Go with the one you like.
Old January 4, 2013, 08:25 AM   #6
Yung.gunr

I have a Taurus as my CCW because I liked the difference between it and it's competitors.

But.... I would NOT get rid of a SA anything to get a Taurus.
Old January 4, 2013, 01:29 PM   #7
Ralph Allen

I had, key word, had, a Taurus PT745 Millenium Pro that I had my local gun shop order for me a few years ago. Held 7 rounds of 45ACP. Small gun, but no fun to shoot. Size and design let it bite you. It came back from Taurus after repair, yes they stand by their lifetime warranty, with the magazine catch "adjusted" as per the work order. Never could keep magazines in it after that, even if I shot left handed. Traded it off at a gunshow for something else I wanted. Had an XDS on order from my local gun shop when they cam out. When they finally got them in I picked mine up. As small or smaller than the Taurus and a real pleasure to shoot.
Ralph