The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 15, 2011, 07:29 PM   #1
sltm1

Winchester 1897 Pump Scattergun

I just picked one of these up at a yard sale for $70.00 but it needs some work, any pro's out there? I'll take amature advise too!!!
Old October 15, 2011, 10:37 PM   #2
Andy Griffith

I love 97's, but I'm no gunsmith.

It is not like modern pumps, and is more complicated yet a good solid platform that has stood the test of time.

You didn't specify the gauge- either 12 or 16 it will be, and the chamber length needs to be checked, as the earlier guns have short chambers in both gauges.

What is the prefix above or below the serial number if any? Is it a solid frame or takedown? Any special markings or features or is there checkering on the stock? If the stock has a pistol grip, is the pistol grip rounded or flat bottomed? Steel or hard rubber buttplate?

The action will likely need a good through cleaning even if it has been well kept- you can do if if you can yourself if mechanically inclined, if not, take it to a good gunsmith- he can also check the lock-up and the chamber length at the same time. The lock up is the single most important thing to check- if it's gummy from years of dried lubrication and powder residue it may not work reliably. Also, I don't know if it is a product of wear or of owners "adjusting" the overtravel screw behind the trigger, but sometimes the screws hold the triggers out too far and do not allow reliable cocking of the hammer when the action is manipulated.

There are some much more knowledgeable fellers on here than me, and they'll be along shortly- there are also some good websites devoted to the 1897, and also a couple of shop manuals that show takedown and some repairs. Just one thing- evaluate it before you have thoughts of hacksawing the barrel to "cowboy" length. I traded a trap model off of a fellow that was bringing it into the shop to have it trimmed for cowboy action three or four years ago. 32" barreled guns also bring a premium- especially to the turkey shoot shooters.
Old October 15, 2011, 10:50 PM   #3
Jbar4Ranch

What's wrong with it?

SASS 47015
Old October 16, 2011, 12:20 PM   #4
sltm1

Andy & JBar, The carrier isn't connected to the breech, they move seperately, the breech by pushing it with my finger after it's fallen back some, and the carrier most of the time with the pump. I've got a schematic of the action and it doesn't look too awfully complicated. Just would like some advice on what to look for, you mentioned gummed up parts and I'm thinkin' maybe broken spring(s). The bbl has already been shortened to 25". I took the magazine apart and there is a wooden dowel at the bottom of the spring. Is this to limit the # of rounds, or factory OEM? The trigger works when every thing is lined up properly....anything else that might help you point me in the right direction?
Old October 16, 2011, 12:47 PM   #5
Andy Griffith

That wooden dowel is in there to limit the number of shells in the magazine to two, so it is legal for hunting. It is not needed if you are going to use it for a range/home defense/plinking arm. If that dowel is marked with a "Winchester" sticker, it is desirable- just don't know exactly how much though.

It sounds as though it may have been put back together incorrectly after being taken apart, or the hook may be missing, or the tab on the action slide bar may be worn, bent, or "home gunsmithed." Hard to say without seeing it. It's easy to put back right if it has just been assembled incorrectly, but hard to describe. Also, I've found the soild frame guns need more finesse to get back together than their takedown brethren.

AGI actually has a video gunsmith course on the 1897, that might be a way to go, or perhaps a trip to the local 'smithy.
Old October 16, 2011, 02:39 PM   #6
sltm1

Andy, I forgot to say it's a 12 guage. Also, the receiver serial # and the barrel # are different so it's a "parts" gun. Whoever married them up semi stripped the threads on the magazine (those I cleaned up), but I can't get the barrel to budge, yes, it's a takedown model, I may try a vise with wooden jaws and a leather padded set of vise grips to remove it then clean the threads, or just leave it be if I can get it working without having to remove it. Didn't see any sticker on the dowel and I'm not that anxious to see it again, scared my dog pretty good when I lost my grip on the end plug and the spring shot out into the room LOL. It's a "plain jane" model, here's a pic to answer your style questions.

Last edited by sltm1; October 16, 2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old October 16, 2011, 03:59 PM   #7
Andy Griffith

Please read this before trying to remove the barrel or barrel/magazine assembly!!!

The receiver extension is very, very fragile! I don't know whether you are trying to get the assembly off of the receiver, or the barrel out of the receiver extension. Either way, too much torque will bend the receiver extension and it will never be right again and won't go back together. I've passed up a lot of guns because the receiver extension was all out of whack. I have a jig with a solid steel piece that goes into where the magazine tube would go so I can remove barrels from the receiver extension without damaging them, and it still requires soaking penetrating oil and some gentle heating.

It could be that the one on this gun could already be somewhat bent, and that's why it's not coming apart. New ones are finally available from Gun Parts Corp, but they are nearly $100.

Soak the assembly with penetrating oil of some kind (liquid wrench, kroil, etc.) and don't get it on the wood. Go gently and tap it with a rubber, plastic or leather hammer every once in awhile to help loosen it. If you go easy, it'll take some time, but you'll get it.

I don't know if you've already found the schematic, but here it is:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Schemati...7+Takedown+(*)

Last edited by Andy Griffith; October 16, 2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old October 16, 2011, 04:22 PM   #8
sltm1

I'm going to leave it alone, I don't need to take it off to fix the innerds anyhow, thanks for the heads up. here's the schematic I have, along with a parts list on another page.
http://www.rucascowboys.com/win97expodedview.htm
Here's the entire site.
http://www.rucascowboys.com/win97_takedown.htm
Old October 16, 2011, 05:53 PM   #9
sltm1

Definitely missing the action slide hook, everything else looks like it's there.
Old October 17, 2011, 10:24 AM   #10
Jbar4Ranch

Concur - sounds like a problem with the slide hook.

Seventy bucks... dang! A ratty, but complete and serviceable '97 will bring $250 - $300 in a heartbeat.

If you can't get it apart by hand, and there's no reason to break it down, leave it alone.

SASS 47015
Old October 17, 2011, 11:08 AM   #11
sltm1

Hummmm, I don't recall "ratty" as being a quality standard in Fladermans, guess I gotta read the fine print LOL. How much are they when they're "somewhat less than ratty"? LOL!!!! Glad you approve of my find.
Old October 17, 2011, 11:32 AM   #12
Jbar4Ranch

It's not uncommon on the sass wire to see '97's in "obviously aged", but decent shape and good mechanical condition to bring $450+

SASS 47015
Old October 17, 2011, 12:38 PM   #13
sltm1

8 years ago during my brief experience with CAS, everyone was using side by sides, when did pumps become part of the game? There were no ejectors or extractor's allowed then.
Old October 17, 2011, 12:42 PM   #14
Jbar4Ranch

1897's have been legal for as long as I've been in the game, which goes back to the last century.

Extractors have always been legal, how in the world would you ever get the hull out?? Ejectors are also now legal on single shots, if you want to go that route.

SASS 47015
Old October 17, 2011, 12:52 PM   #15
sltm1

Everyone I shot with either slicked up the barrels (chambers) or had a gunsmith do it so that as you broke open the action you jerked the shotgun to the rear and the shells were thrown to the ground, reload and continue. Took alot of time to hone the chambers out properly, I still have the jig I attached to my drill to do it with.
Old October 17, 2011, 12:56 PM   #16
Jbar4Ranch

We still do it the same way today, but I've never seen a SxS without extractors.

SASS 47015
Old October 17, 2011, 01:01 PM   #17
sltm1

Mine was a Stoger hammerless, could have miss stated on the extractors,
(8 years ago, CRS, and not real savy about shotguns), but they didn't really come into play once the chamber was reamed.
Old October 17, 2011, 01:02 PM   #18
sltm1

By the way, gettin' REAL savy about 97's real quick!!
Old October 17, 2011, 01:29 PM   #19
Hardcase

Quote:
By the way, gettin' REAL savy about 97's real quick!!
Good for you! I take mine to the skeet range every weekend. The guys with their fancy-schmancy over/unders used to look at me funny, but not anymore!
Old October 17, 2011, 01:34 PM   #20
Tanker6

My daughter shoots a '97 that I got off of GB for $130 shipped -- and I thought I stole that one!

What a great find! Good Luck with it!
Old October 17, 2011, 09:33 PM   #21
sltm1

Hardcase, mind telling me what you're shooting? Thanks.
Old October 17, 2011, 10:40 PM   #22
Andy Griffith

Just to add...

The Winchester 1893 and the early 1897's did not have an ejector spring, only a little block of steel that acted as the ejector. The little spring was added in one of the early model revisions (C series). The spring does help more positively throw the hulls out- especially brass ones. I've just never figured out what the combination is of ejector spring and the depth and tension of the extractors which makes hulls fly many feet out of some guns and just barely make it out of others.

Last edited by Andy Griffith; October 17, 2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old October 18, 2011, 01:01 PM   #23
Hardcase

Quote:
Hardcase, mind telling me what you're shooting? Thanks.
Whatever's cheap at Walmart Usually 1 1/8 oz target loads. I had one of the local gunsmiths lengthen the forcing cone on both guns so that there wouldn't be any problem with modern shells.

It's pretty satisfying to shoot an 18 or 20 with a hundred year old pump gun with a full choke barrel, especially when the guys I shoot with have spendy whiz-bang guns with removable chokes, ribs and big ol' glowy beads.
Old November 1, 2011, 10:09 PM   #24
JacqueEagonSr

Radocy publishes takedown guides for many long guns and handguns -

home page is found at

http://www.gunbrain.net/

or

http://www.takedownguides.com/

the '97 is found at

http://www.takedownguides.com/takedo...c=V0lOMTg4Nw==

Jack Black Smith
Old November 5, 2011, 07:28 PM   #25
sltm1

Back To Battery !!! OK, it only took; Make a spring for the magazine lock, reshape the magazine, buy and install an Action Slide Hook, reset the main spring, make a hole, make and thread a new sight to go in the hole, file, reshape and straighten the slide and finally, figure out which side was up on the magazine (it came upside down), oh yeah, add a recoil pad to cushion my brittle bones LOL !! What a test, (there were no adequate instructions on the net), but I'm happy to say I didn't break anything figgerin' it out !! I took it out to the hills and shot at 25yds using #7 1/2 target shot. Shoot's straight with a great pattern (I called a REAL gunsmith with the barrel measurment and he said it was still a modified choke even though it was shortened 6 inches). The big holes are from tryin' to do hip shot's and snap shooting with my Rogers & Spencer using 45lc cartridges, same range....judging from the "pattern", I'd have to say, fat people beware LOL. Pic's below.