The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 31, 2011, 03:06 PM   #1
serf 'rett

Brass Chunking and Battery Failure – Help Needed

The pistol is a all steel Baby Eagle in 40S&W (Jericho) by IWI imported by MRI who foisted the model off on Charles Daly who bellied up on the model, etcetera, etcetera… and I’d be tempted to dump the pistol if it wasn’t so much fun to shoot.

My twin issues are as follows:
1. The pistol will occasionally fail to go into battery. This mostly happens during rapid fire which makes me suspect possible limp wristing. The cartridge does not appear to be catching, i.e. it chambers but the slide does not fully close – it remains open perhaps a 1/8”. I can bump it closed, but I suspect it makes the SO a little nervous.
2. New and straight out of the box, the pistol would throw brass 12 to 20 feet.

The brass chunking doesn’t bother me but is it an indicator of a weak spring? Someone mentioned that a stronger spring might help cure both problems. Do I need a stronger spring or do I have a different problem? Thanks.
Old March 31, 2011, 04:45 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

10 or 12 feet isn't remarkably far, but it does suggest you have room to go with a heavier recoil spring, so I'd give that a try if one is available for it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 31, 2011, 04:52 PM   #3
serf 'rett

Should have been a little clearer on the brass chunkin'. Average distance is more in the 16 to 20 foot range. I suspect the 12 footers may be 1st round "flyers".
Old March 31, 2011, 04:55 PM   #4
overkill0084

I had a similar problem with a 1911.
It was my reloads, the cast bullets made the rounds just a touch too big and caused a bit of binding. A Lee Factory Crimp Die fixed the problem. If you're using factory ammo, disregard.
I also stuck in a heavier spring as well. It can't hurt to slam the door shut a little bit harder. If it creates new problems, just remove it and put the old one back in.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old March 31, 2011, 05:39 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Next time it fails to close, don't just bump it closed and shoot the evidence; bring it back for examination. A cartridge gauge or chamber check would tell you something.

16 -20 ft sounds like a long shot with the empty. I'd look at a new recoil spring.
Old April 4, 2011, 10:21 AM   #6
serf 'rett

Ordered recoil calibration spring pack from Wolff Gunsprings. We'll see if that works.
Old April 4, 2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Eagle0711

I'll betcha the recoil spring does the trick.
Old April 6, 2011, 11:37 AM   #8
CowTowner

Quote:
Ordered recoil calibration spring pack from Wolff Gunsprings. We'll see if that works.
What make/model gun did you order them for? I got the same gun (Full Size Steel Baby Eagle/Jericho941 in 40 S&W) and I never have been able to find Magnum Research on the list
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy