The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 1, 2016, 01:24 PM   #1
hoosier1963

H&R 22 special cylinder removal

Hello Ladies & Gentlemen, this is my first time on here & I hope someone can help answer a question for me. I need to remove the cylinder on my H&R 22 special. It is a 4th variation I believe w/a serial range in the 58xxxx's. How do I remove the cylinder? I see the cylinder catch lip on the bottom of the sight lever that you pull up to open the action with but the cylinder still won't budge w/the release up. I have tried to research this but all I can find refers to a very similar model that has a pin on the side of the sight arm to release the cylinder. My model does not have that. Any help would appreciated, thank you
Old February 1, 2016, 07:14 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Some of those guns had both the top cylinder stop and also the threaded quill. Try pulling up on the latch until the little lip clears the cylinder, and at the same time pull back on the cylinder and turn it counterclockwise to unscrew it. (Yes, I have three hands; it helps when working on guns. )

Jim
Old February 2, 2016, 04:14 AM   #3
hoosier1963

Thanks Jim, that did the trick. I appreciate the help. I hope someday I can pay it forward.