The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2014, 06:48 AM   #1
kawasakifreak77

8mm Mauser ?s

I traded into some Remington 220gr corelokts for this old Mauser dad has been given but am having trouble finding loading info for them. I'd like suggestions on the warm side, as I would pretty much save these for putting meat in the freezer. Powders on hand are Dupont. 4198, 4895, 4320 & 4350 plus Varget & 2015br.

Where can I get Turkisk pulled bullets? The few I have are very consistant & I think lightly loaded will make fine paper punchers.

Where can I find cast boolits for 8mm? I've read that it's a cast friendly caliber. I want to dip my toes before commiting to buying all the stuff to cast my own.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Old January 3, 2014, 07:50 AM   #2
mdmtj

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
Old January 4, 2014, 12:19 AM   #3
Jimro

Guy by the handle of Drifter1956 sells 8mm Cast bullets: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=385175505

Or you can cast your own.

I don't know of any soure of Turk pulled bullets but to buy turk ammo and pull the bullets yourself. Although I knew one shooter out in california who bought Turk ammo, pulled the bullets and replaced them with 150gr spitzers after normalizing the powder charge. The range didn't like the cupronickle jacket. So you might find some around the auction sights some time.

Good luck handloading.

Jimro
Old January 5, 2014, 10:17 PM   #4
tahoe2

8mm cast

beartoothbullets.com, montanabulletworks.com, never used either one but they look like good bullets.
Old January 6, 2014, 11:24 AM   #5
Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.
I bought a 1903 Turkish Mauser in 1999 from BIG5 sporting goods store for $50 +$4 tax. I forged over the bolt handle with Oxyacetylene and drilled and tapped for scope mounts.
In 2002 I took it to the range, put a 40X scope on it, and shot 1" 5 shot group at 100m with 200 gr Match kings at 2625 fps average with 47 gr 4895.

In 2005 I Put a different stock on it, glass bedded it, put a limbsaver recoil pad on it, put a different trigger on it, put a mag release on it, put a bolt handle extension on it, and crowned off 1" of the muzzle. I took it to the range again, put a 3X9 scope on it, and shot a 1.3" 5 shot group @50 yards with 48 gr. IMR4895 220 gr. Sierra 2420, 3.22", measured 2675 fps.

Both of those loads were hotter than book loads. I had to work up to a sticky bolt and then back off a couple grains to find those loads. The first one is backed more than the second.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old January 8, 2014, 02:38 AM   #6
kawasakifreak77

Thanks a lot everyone!