The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 6, 2012, 08:59 AM   #1
bboulter

Moving to Maryland with Assault Weapons and Handguns

I have read a number of posts regarding registering your handguns in the state of Maryland but I haven't seen anything about registering an assault weapon (also known in Maryland as an assault pistol). Both my SKS and AR-15 have high capacity clips as does one of my handguns.
Old March 6, 2012, 11:13 AM   #2
GlockedNLoded32

here is where you can find more information about maryland firearms laws

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys...nlaws_md_3.htm
GLOCK 32 .357 SIG With Hogue Grip,Trijicon Ghost Ring Night Sight, 3.5 Ghost trigger, Weatherby Vanguard .308 1:12 twist with Blackhawk Bipod and a Barska 6x24x60 IR SWAT SCOPE. - 168 Hornady AMAX loaded at 46 gr
Stoeger M2000 Max 4 SA 12 gauge
Old March 13, 2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Pacman

Maryland

I would suggest contacting the Maryland State Police barracks in Pikesville. This is the headquarters for the State Police who handle all inquiries. Maryland is one of the most restrictive states (although a recent state supreme court ruling may change things). I have recently retired and can't wait to get out of here!
Old March 13, 2012, 09:15 AM   #4
shortwave

bblouter,

Welcome to TFL.

PM sent!

Last edited by shortwave; March 13, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old March 13, 2012, 09:58 AM   #5
Broadside

First of all, if you are moving to Maryland, please go join Maryland Shall Issue. This group is fighting to defend the rights of Marylanders.

There is no requirement to register firearms in the State of Maryland. Unlike the District of Columbia or New York, possession of an "unregistered" handgun or assault weapon is not a crime in Maryland.

However, all background checks for handguns and assault weapons must go through the Maryland State police. In addition any private sales of handguns and assault weapons must be submitted to the Maryland State Police for a background check on the buyer. In this way, Maryland maintains an unofficial handgun and assault weapon registry.

However, if you move into Maryland, you have no requirement to register your handguns and assault weapons.
Old March 13, 2012, 10:04 AM   #6
Broadside

One more thing, the sale or transfer of a magazine with a capacity of over 20 rounds is illegal in Maryland. However, the possession such magazine is not. So you may be bring magazines with capacity over 20 rounds into the State with you when you move. You may also purchase magazines over 20 rounds in other states and bring them back into Maryland.

Note that FFL's are required by federal law to obey the laws of the state in which they are located as well as any state in which they do business. This means that anyone with an FFL cannot ship you magazines over 20 rounds into the state of Maryland.

Most non-FFL businesses will not ship magazines to Maryland as they do wish to end up the test case.

If anyone tells you anything besides what I've told you above, have them cite the actual Maryland statute.
Old March 13, 2012, 06:13 PM   #7
krucam

bblouter,

As Broadside mentioned, you're good to go except for your known in MD as an "assault pistol" comment, which was prefaced with "assault weapon".

Careful with your words! Is it a standard AR-15 with a stock? If so, then its not an "assault pistol". We don't even call them "assault weapons". We prefer firearms or more simply, a gun or rifle. Don't dramatize in MD, we have enough already.

True "Assault Pistols" are defined by Code and are illegal unless grand fathered in before 1994 which I'm guessing, we don't qualify for. These nasty bambi killers are:
http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland...title-3/4-301/
Quote:
4-301 "Assault Pistol Defined"
In this subtitle, “assault pistol” means any of the following firearms or a copy regardless of the producer or manufacturer:
(1) AA Arms AP-9 semiautomatic pistol;
(2) Bushmaster semiautomatic pistol;
(3) Claridge HI-TEC semiautomatic pistol;
(4) D Max Industries semiautomatic pistol;
(5) Encom MK-IV, MP-9, or MP-45 semiautomatic pistol;
(6) Heckler and Koch semiautomatic SP-89 pistol;
(7) Holmes MP-83 semiautomatic pistol;
(8) Ingram MAC 10/11 semiautomatic pistol and variations including the Partisan Avenger and the SWD Cobray;
(9) Intratec TEC-9/DC-9 semiautomatic pistol in any centerfire variation;
(10) P.A.W.S. type semiautomatic pistol;
(11) Skorpion semiautomatic pistol;
(12) Spectre double action semiautomatic pistol (Sile, F.I.E., Mitchell);
(13) UZI semiautomatic pistol;
(14) Weaver Arms semiautomatic Nighthawk pistol; or
(15) Wilkinson semiautomatic “Linda” pistol.
Any other pistol/handgun, if not on that list is NOT an Assault Pistol and is perfectly legal, unless it's a full-auto, then the MD State Police will ask you to register it. Any other semi/revolver, bring it in.

As mentioned, buy your mags before you arrive for the AR's (if they're not an Assault Pistol) as you can only "transfer" a 20 round or less.

As mentioned, http://marylandshallissue.org is your friend.

Finally, join up at http://www.mdshooters.com to meet our mostly-friendly community.

Last edited by krucam; March 13, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old March 15, 2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Broadside

krucam,

I'm sorry. It appears that I am wrong about this.

Are you saying that "assault pistols" as you define in your post are illegal in Maryland?

I lived in Maryland for over 25 years before moving to Virginia and never knew that.

I also thought that Maryland used the term "assault weapon" in a similar manner to how it was used in the 1994 Clinton Gun Ban which was basicly any semi-auto rifle capable of accepting a detachable box-type magazine and with a pistol grip.
Old March 16, 2012, 08:00 PM   #9
krucam

Broadside, as I quoted. Ther are a fes pistols that are considered as illegal, aka "Assault Pistols". If it is a pistol/handgun (no stock & no foregrip), then bringing into the state is not a problem, regardless of mag capacity. No "transfer" has taken place. ..