The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old December 26, 1999, 02:19 PM   #1
artech

My friend and I made our annual Christmas day trip to the range yesterday, bringing several new peices including an M1-D Garand and a Norinco M1A. I brought my favorite little "tanker" Enfield #4mk2 carbine.

I had never fired a Garand before, and we shot the new one both with and without the scope, and I was pretty pleased with the rifle. the recoil wasn't as bad as I'd been told to expect, and it was decently accurate with the GI surplus ammo we had for it. Easy to see why this rifle is a favorite of so many people.

I think getting used to the offset scope of the M1-D will make quite a difference in the accuracy there. The M1A was also fun to shoot, but again the scope was unusual and took some getting used to. The accuracy was pretty good both with the scope and iron sights.

The Enfield was as always fun to shoot, hitting everything out to 100 yards and beyond. It's my fun gun, and I shoot it pretty well because I shoot it quite a bit.

All in all a good time was had by all, the Garand had one 8-round clip that didn't want to stay in the action and bound things up temporarily , but no other malfunctions. Nothing else had any malfunctions.

We only went through a few hundred rounds, it was only 16 degrees(F) outside and we reloaded mags in the truck to thaw out!

The range owner also dropped by, he's recently been diagnosed with lymph cancer and is going through chemotherapy and all that goes with it, so it was good to see him out and about, if only for a minute or two. We're all hoping he beats it, he's one of the good ones and there ain't that many good ones left nowadays.

Best wishes to all and Happy Holidays!

------------------
With my shield or on it...
Old December 27, 1999, 03:50 AM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I to was able to bake some joyful Noise.
Took my Eldest (6) Son to a spot and let him fire some .22 and a shot of .223 as well.
We had a good time. Other family was busy with other things... but that moment of quality time with my son was what he talked about the rest of the weekend.
[Warm Fuzzies]

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Old December 27, 1999, 07:02 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Sounds great! That M1D must be a real treasure. I'm going to shoot in a CMP match next year just to buy another Garand. I intend to have a M1D barrel installed on it and afterwards, my spare M84 scope which will mount right on. Too bad it'll be illegal to modify it to take a BAR magazine.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old December 28, 1999, 10:09 AM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I was thinking about getting an M1 at some point... An M1A from Springfield...
The one on the cover of Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement looked too Cool.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud