The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 27, 2009, 09:31 PM   #1
firend

optics help

Any help with this would be appreciated. I am new here, and relatively new at optics.

I have been looking at the following:

Millett dsm 1 (1x4)
Millett zoom dot
Aimpoints (various) with possible magnifier
Eotech with possible magnifier
The new leupold prism 1x
Burris ar332 3x prism
Trijicon aimpoint 1x4 or 1.25x4
Trijicon Acogs

Anyone have experience with these? All would do the job but:

Do any other than trijicon work without batteries (i have read millett dsm 1 does and leupold prism))

Does the magnifiers for aimpoint and eotech really work well?

Is the doughnut or chevron better for aiming with acog, etc

Is millett tough enough to handle stuff? the price on those is favorable

Please help with this
Old July 28, 2009, 01:37 AM   #2
sholling

I'm going to assume that these are for an AR15 or something in that class. Anyway I'll take these one at a time.

CQB battle sights:

Millett zoom dot: I looked at these as well but by the time you add a quality LaRue, GG&G or other quality quick disconnect mount (~$140) you're into EOTech or entry level Aimpoint prices. I also had a bear of a time finding anybody that had used one long enough to give any feedback.

Aimpoints (various): I haven't tried the magnifiers but I spent some time researching these. GG&G has some pretty good pricing including the mounts. They have the CompML3 (L = not night vision compatible) for $460. Battery life is like 50,000 hours.

EOTech: I have both a 512 and a 557. The 1000 hour battery life will suit my needs just fine. The 512 is an absolute co-witness for AR15 sights. While the expensive 557 (and cheaper 517) sit 7mm higher for a lower 1/3 co-witness. There are a bazillion counterfeits on the market so buy from a reputable dealer. the best deals that I found for the 512 were at GG&G (always call to check stock) and Sportsman's Guide.

Scopes:

Millett dsm 1 (1x4): I've only handled with one of these. The circle-dot looks nice but the scope is huge. If you're really that interested I'd read up on their low light performance.

Burris XTR 1-4x24 Tactical: This one is not on your list. I have one and it's a very good quality tactical scope. The only downside is the downside of seemingly everything but the EOTech - the illuminated reticle is dimly visible from the front. Anyway it's an outstanding scope.

The others I know nothing about, and the effectiveness for self defense/combat I'll leave to the experts to answer.
Old July 28, 2009, 10:29 AM   #3
firend

Thankyou sholling, I appreciate your answers
Old July 28, 2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Come and take it.

I have a leopold mark 4 1 to 3 x CQ scope and it is very impressive in its precision and durability plus I get a beautiful and easy to acquire sight picture.

If I am not mistaken the prism is basically the Mark 4 CQ scope without the magnification objective lens assembly. It makes for a much lighter sight. Could be wrong on that one though.