The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 28, 2007, 12:00 PM   #1
jbirdhaffield

laser rangefinder

I need help deciding on a rangefinder. I have found two that I am trying to decide on and I need your advice and opinions.
Nikon Pro Staff 440 camo for $188 or
Bushnell Yardage Pro camo that also comes with a pair of binoculars.
The binoculars won't sell me if the Nikon's are better. I need to get as many replies ASAP because I am leaving for a hunting trip soon. Thanks alot!
Old October 28, 2007, 12:29 PM   #2
JohnO

The nikon is less light reflective sensitive. What I mean is, most bushnell rangefinders will range out to 700-800 yards with light reflecting back on an object is large as a house. When you take the size down to big game (deer/elk) the range comes down to 200-300 yards. The nikon will range out to 437 yds, regardless of size. I've ranged prairie dogs at over 300 yds and they don't reflect very much light!

If your distance is limited there should not be much difference between the two, other than size. Nikon is a little small.
Old October 28, 2007, 12:34 PM   #3
boltgun71

I have a Bushnell Yardage Pro 800, one of the older models, and it is OK. It can be very finicky on target quality and not give you a reading if the conditions or target reflectibility aren't just right. It works well out to about 300yds for deer sized game, to 400yds its OK sometimes, 500yds and your lucky, and anything past 500 its worthless. Its supposed to be good to approx. 880yds on refelective targets but it hasn't held up to that claim. I have lasered vehicles and metal sheds(all reflective targets) and cant get a reading past 500yds. Hopefully the newer Bushnells are better. I myself am interested in one of the new Leupold laser rangefinders. If you can afford one, Leica makes the best one IMO. I have used a few of those and they are great out to 800-1,000yds regardless of target quality. I have no experience with the Nikon so I cant help you their. Hope this helps.
Old October 29, 2007, 01:17 AM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I've field tested all the main product line range finders and the 440's I've looked at have all ranged out to nearly 500 yards. Also the Nikon's base optic have better from the examples I've seen. Since I look at the bloody things daily, I've seen quite a few.
Old November 2, 2007, 05:02 AM   #5
CamoCop

i like my Nikon 440