The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 8, 2013, 06:23 PM   #1
steveNChunter

Anybody loading/loaded for .41 long colt?

I have a friend that wants me to keep him a steady supply of ammo for his old Colt revolver chambered .41 LC. I told him if he would buy the dies and all the components I'd reload for him for free. That deal beats the heck out of $75+ for a box of 50. I'd like to hear from someone who is or has reloaded for this cartridge. I believe it uses .386 diameter bullets and brass can be formed from .38 spl cases which would be cheaper than the .41 LC brass which is pretty high as well. I'm just looking for the most economical way for him to feed his old Colt.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Old July 9, 2013, 12:44 PM   #2
WIL TERRY

BAD IDEA, and I care not how good of friend he is...or was.
Guess who's fault it'll be when something goes haywire, and it will, take it to the bank !!
Please check on which FFL you need to have as an " ammunition manufacturer."
OH...and the cost of the one million dollar liability policy you better have....just to be safe..
Old July 9, 2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

You can't really form entirely satisfactory cases out of .38 Special.

Old school methods for forming the case used a cut down .38 or .357 case onto which was soldered a piece of 13/32" brass tubing.

Very laborious, and apparently the tubing would tend to crack pretty quickly.

New cases are available, and while expensive, will last.

The big thing you need to know is what is the bore diameter of his gun?

Original loads for the .41 Long uses a heeled bullet, like a .22 Long Rifle. The shank was .386 diameter to seat inside the case mouth, while the exposed bullet was about .405 to .410 in diameter.

In the 1890s or so ammo manufacturers started dropping the heeled bullets in favor of modern style bullets. To allow for the rounds to be used in older guns with now-oversized barrels, the bullets were generally very soft lead (if not pure lead) and had a large hollow in the bottom, leaving very thin walls at the base of the bullet.

On firing, the base would expand into rifling, generally giving passable accuracy.

Finding hollow-base .386 diameter bullets can be a chore.

Then, finally, as Wil mentions, there's the liability of loading ammunition to be used in someone else's gun.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 9, 2013, 04:15 PM   #4
sjc

First, read what WIL TERRY posted.
Second, I have reloaded the .41 Long Colt. I got brass from Starline which eliminates the case forming route.
Third, I used a Rapine HB (hollow base) .41 Long Colt mold with pure lead. This casted bullet, using lead only, expands to fill the bore when using smokeless powder. Rapine is no longer making molds. Good luck finding one. Individuals that have one keep it as it is an excellent mold. You may find a used Lyman .41 Long Colt mold but expect to pay dearly for it. The Lyman mold(s), I believe they made two designs of the .41 Long Colt, is heel based. This design bullet is no fun to lubricate.
Forth, this caliber is a pain to reload because of the above reasons..
Fifth, most Colt SAA in .41 Long Colt are priced below a SAA in any other caliber because it is a pain to reload for and loaded rounds on the commercial market are expensive, if you can find them.

Good luck!