The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 13, 2014, 10:25 AM   #1
zxcvbob

Ruger LCR .38

Cabela's has them on sale this weekend for $450. They are not known for good gun prices, but sometimes the sale prices are okay.

Is $450 reasonable? Is the LCR reasonable? This is the .38 Special DAO model (they are available with hammer spurs now) with Hi-Viz sights but no laser. I just happen to have $435 in "Cabela's Bucks" credit on my VISA card... Thanks.
Old August 13, 2014, 11:57 AM   #2
MK11

$450 is not a steal, you can find it cheaper at a good independent store or online. It's not a total rip-off, either. With the deal on your card, it's probably a moot point.

I think it's an excellent choice and my most common carry gun. Lightweight, reliable, great trigger for a snubby, pretty accurate, including with lighter weight bullets that usually don't agree with fixed sight revolvers. The stock grips make it shootable. You'll be limited to speed strips, HKS or 5-star for speedloaders, Safariland won't work with the grips. Pocket carry is doable with most pants this side of skintight Calvins. J-frames are slightly smaller, but the LCR is a better shooter IMO.
Old August 13, 2014, 12:19 PM   #3
Airman Basic

These two holsters cover the gamut for the LCR for me. Excellent weapon. Bought one for the wife after her carry classes, and ended up with another for me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old August 13, 2014, 12:51 PM   #4
4 Paws

I found the LCR to be enjoyable to both shoot and carry. In my opinion, Ruger has perfected the DAO trigger.
Old August 13, 2014, 01:03 PM   #5
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK11
The stock grips make it shootable... J-frames are slightly smaller, but the LCR is a better shooter IMO.
FWIW most of the apparent size difference between the LCR and a J frame is due to the bigger and cushier grips on the LCR, particularly compared to the Airweight 442/642/637, the LCR's most direct competitors. This is also the main reason why the LCR shoots softer. Installing different grips on a J can lessen the difference in felt recoil and size.

That said, I agree that the LCR is a better shooter out of the box, and IMHO the LCR trigger is simply superior; a J's trigger will smooth out with extended use and/or judicious internal polishing, but this doesn't solve the J's characteristic stackiness, which the LCR doesn't suffer from.
Old August 15, 2014, 06:59 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

I had the 357 LCR - it shot well but I'm more of a 'steel" revolver guy and while I like Rugers - own a number of them - I just prefer to CCW a Smith - my quirk!

The LCR is a good revolver - the price of $450 I don't think is "great". If you are looking for one - look at your local gun stores and see if they have any used/trade ins. I traded my LCR in on a like new - unshod 1980s Smith Model 36 to carry. If I remember correctly, the gun shop turned around and sold it for around $340 - it was in excellent/like new condition - had about 3 - 4 hundred rounds through it and included the holster I made for it (I do leatherwork as a hobby). At the same time I traded mine in, they had a 38 spl model they had just taken in that was in the same condition as mine. I kept track of their listings on the internet and neither lasted long in their shop and were sold within a week. I believe the 38 spl model (used) went for about the same price as mine did.

Good used ones are out there. Just because someone has traded it tin, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. A lot of them (like other makes/models) are traded in just like mine was - I wanted something different for my carry requirements.

The LGS where I originally purchased it usually sells at below MSRP. Yea, I lost a little on it when I traded it in but I really wanted something different and the J frame fit my needs perfecty. We get a Cabellas flier sometimes in our little town newspaper and I always look at their "gun sales". To be honest - their sale prices are often at or a little above what many smaller gun shops would normally charge.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 15, 2014, 10:06 PM   #7
guruatbol

I paid less than that at Cal-Ranch in Utah with laser to give my wife at Christmas.

I think if you shop around you can find a better deal. Mine was not on sale either.

Mel
Old August 15, 2014, 11:50 PM   #8
zxcvbob

I went to Cabela's today (2nd day of a week-long sale) and looked at a few different LCR models, dry fired them, etc. They were already out of the ones that are on sale; said they only got in two. They'll get some more in in about a week, and one has my name on it.

The DA trigger is amazingly good. I don't know how they did that.

I'm spending credit card points for it, so it's not going to cost me any $$$. I just wanted to make sure $450 wasn't a ridiculously bad price, cuz I could spend my points on something else.
Old August 17, 2014, 08:27 PM   #9
huskybiker

They're on sale around here (Ohio) for $399.00.
Old August 19, 2014, 01:56 PM   #10
Obambulate

The LCR has a lot going for it. It's a good design that offers some things the J-frames don't, and the price is reasonable.