The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 28, 2011, 12:23 PM   #1
tkey11

Marlin model 15y .22

Hello i have an old Marlin model 15y .22 and it has been sitting in the corner gathering rust for a while but i recently got a call about one of the local farmers wanting some varmint control on there property and i was thinking about taking either my 25-06 or my 223 but the i had the idea of taking out my .22 so i got it out of the corner and re-blued it the i put a Leupold compact scope on it so i could go sight it in but after shooting two rounds through it i realized something was wrong the rifle wont eject the spent cartridge and i cant seem to find the problem Ive searched everywhere on the internet and cant seem to find a diagram or blue print to compare the bolt to any Information that could help me fix my problem would be wonderful.
-Tyler

Last edited by tkey11; April 29, 2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old April 29, 2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

There is an exploded diagram in The Gun Digest Book of Exploded Gun Drawings, Harold A. Murtz, 2005, ISBN: 0-89689-141-0, p. 672. Numrich also has a watermarked version you can view, here. You can buy a copy without the watermark from them in PDF format for $1.50. It is their part number PDF0231.

Not shown in either drawing is the ejector shown in a photo for post 1992 models. It is just a music wire part. If yours has that and it's missing or broken, it would need to be replaced. The extractor shown in a photo does not at all resemble the drawing and may be a wrong photo or, again, one from a later model. It is a cowl-shaped spring, and if it is what your gun has it could need replacement.

If you have the older version that matches the drawing, my guess is that you need to remove the extractor and check that its claw is not rounded and that there's no crud built up under it that is keeping it from fully swinging in to hook the case rim. I can't see clearly enough to be sure, but the drawing makes it appear the snap ring that retains the firing pin in the bolt (recess forward of the handle), also retains the extractor. If that's correct and it is the only source of spring tension to close the extractor over the case rim (I don't see any other in the drawing), then it may have weakened and need to be replaced.

Numrich has the above-mentioned parts.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; April 30, 2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old April 29, 2011, 05:24 PM   #3
tkey11

Yes the snap ring retains the firing pin but i only have a firing pin in that portion of the bolt so im not sure if the extractor just came out over time or what. Thanks for the information it has helped alot.
Tyler
( Im going to be searching for some more diagrams for the bolt face.)
Old April 30, 2011, 08:58 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

You should be able to just open the action and look at the bolt face and see the extractor claw. If you don't, you're right that it's gone. That would explain your failure to extract.

Follow that link I posted and look at page 3, last photo on the bottom left of the "new style" band extractor. The part number from the drawing is NI, meaning "Not Included". Most of the later parts are not, so the drawing is old. If your rifle is less than 20 years old, it may want that type. Marlin may be able to tell from your serial number. Unfortunately, they don't list the old type, so they don't have any. If Marlin doesn't, either, you'll have to make your own. Not impossible. You can probably file it out of heat treatable flat stock, but it will consume some time getting the fit right so it works.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 30, 2011, 10:58 AM   #5
tkey11

All right thank you that was alot of help.
Tyler