The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 11, 2012, 06:10 PM   #1
MagnumWill

This would a long shot (threaded barrel)

One thing I would like to find. Does anyone have any information on a manufacturer? I would *really* prefer not to take a virgin barrel, weld on more purchase, and thread accordingly (but it could be done).

I'm looking for.... (drum roll)

a 3" bushingless bull barrel for my Colt New Agent .45, that protrudes about 1/2" or so to accept a suppressor. Know of anyone?
Old May 11, 2012, 10:46 PM   #2
TrailBlazinMan

Will it take a bull barrel from a Commander? If so just cut that down and thread it. Also, you never want to weld on a barrel, use silver solder instead.
Old May 12, 2012, 01:06 AM   #3
MagnumWill

I haven't seen a 3.5 or 4-inch commander barrel, but part I the problem is that the barrel is ramped, until the very end where it centers in the slide; so I'm worried that the area that would mate up with the 3" slide would be halfway up that ramp. I was hoping that there was a company (maybe just Colt) that sells replacement barrels that I could look at, at least.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:59 AM   #4
TrailBlazinMan

Here is a ramped bull Commander barrel. http://www.schuemann.com/store/detai...-cu45cnm4.aspx

Your friendly gunsmith can thread barrels and is probably the one to talk to about this job.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:16 PM   #5
MagnumWill

Bingo!! That looks like the same ramp length as the 3". Seeing that it's cylindrical out to the 3.5" mark, it'll leave enough purchase on the barrel for the slide to seat properly if the first 7/16" of that barrel has threads. It will be very easy to buzz some threads onto that guy, this is gonna be good. Thanks!
Old May 13, 2012, 07:42 PM   #6
BoogieMan

Quote:
Your friendly gunsmith can thread barrels and is probably the one to talk to about this job
FYI- any machine shop can thread the barrel. Its a very basic skill within the trade.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown