The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 2, 2008, 08:55 PM   #1
Lurch37

Win. Model 97 Question

I'm looking at buying this Model 97, but the seller and I don't really know a fair value. The gun has the US/flaming bomb stamp on the left side of the receiver and also the flaming bomb on the top of the barrel.

My question is, did the U.S. Government stamp these insignia on both trench guns and riot guns?

The shotgun has no heat shield or bayonet mount and doesn't look like it ever did so I'm assuming its a Military Riot Shotgun or was there such a thing?

Thoughts?
Old February 2, 2008, 11:59 PM   #2
Rdavis

Lurch

I was browsing this forum & saw your question So I registered so I could give you a reply.

I own a Model 12 riot gun from the WW2 era has been in the family since about 1948. It has all the arsenal stampings that you describe. Yes the riot guns lacked the extras that the trench guns had (sling heat shield & bayonet lug) From what I understand the riot guns were not used much on the front lines, but for duties such as guarding prisoners etc. Don't really know a fair value for a '97 riot gun, but I sure would like to have one to go with my model 12 riot. If I had to take a wild guess I would say that my M12 is in the 750-1000$ range.
I am also going to assume that the M97s are going to have basicly the same type arsenal markings as the m12 has.
Old February 3, 2008, 12:07 AM   #3
blackhawk45

The Flaming Bomb indicates it is Military Issue-------Unless it is a fake ! have someone that is familiar with the 97 Trench,and riot guns,examine it and give you a fair market value.
Old February 3, 2008, 07:51 AM   #4
jrothWA

HEad over to..

www.jouster.com look for US Military shotgun forum, search thru for Bruce Canfield and he should be able to determine if SN is correct.
WWII shotgun were varied as to model procured at start of war.
Old February 3, 2008, 10:24 PM   #5
Lurch37

I appreciate the help fella's.
Old February 4, 2008, 06:22 PM   #6
Tom Doniphon

Serial Number

Can you give us an idea of the serial number? The WW2 M97 riot guns fall into a certain serial number range around the 925,000 range.
Old February 7, 2008, 08:38 PM   #7
Lurch37

I'm going to stop by the shop tomorrow and look at it again. I'll get the serial number then and post it here. Thanks!