The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 28, 2005, 10:18 PM   #1
U.F.O.

Shooting slightly high right

I bought a S&W 686-6+ 2.5" .357 magnum snubby a month ago. Love the gun, my first revolver, but I'm shooting tight patterns about an inch high three-four inches right at 25 feet. This is with 38 special and .357 magnum FMJ's. I've got the adjustable rear sight. How do I correct?

U.F.O.
The low spark of high-heeled boys"
~Traffic - Stevie Winwood~
Old January 28, 2005, 10:57 PM   #2
beenthere

High right

I'd check my grip, squeeze, follow through before I changed the sights. High right is often a case of heeling the gun in anticipation of the recoil. Maybe the sound or the actual recoil is causing you to anticipate. Try the empty chamber trick for several cylinders full before changing the sights.
Old January 28, 2005, 11:28 PM   #3
vitesse9

First thing I would ask is whether the gun is new or used. If used, you might have other issues. If new, it's probably not a damaged gun.

Second thing I would ask is whether you've tried several different types of ammo. In my experience with the 686, accuracy can vary greatly with different ammo. Also, the gun will be most accurate with .357s over .38s.

Third question I would ask is whether you are causing the problem. Are you breathing properly? Are you flinching? Are you using proper trigger technique? etc. I don't ask you this question to insult you, but rather because you should be sure it's the gun before you start messing with the sights.

But, let's assume that there's nothing wrong with the gun or your technique. That means it's probably the sights. If it's the sights, then here's how to bring point of impact down and to the left:

Take the gun to the range and set the target out to your desired range. Use sandbags or anything else you have to stabilize the gun while you test-fire (as opposed to off-hand shooting). From the rest, fire a few shots to see where the point of impact is BEFORE YOU ADJUST THE SIGHTS.

Now, just in front of rear sight, there's an elevation screw and, on the right-hand side just under the rear sights, there's a windage screw. To LOWER the point of impact, you turn the elevation screw CLOCKWISE. Turn it two clicks at a time and then fire a few shots. Repeat this process until elevation is adjusted properly.

Once the elevation is properly adjusted, it's time to work on windage. To move the point of impact to the left, turn the windage screw COUNTERCLOCKWISE. Again, turn the screw a two clicks and then fire a few shots. Repeat the process until windage is properly adjusted.

At this point, your sights should be okay. If your sights are the only problem, then your problem should be solved. Also note that if you sight-in the gun for 25 yards, you may hit a little high at shorter ranges.

Hope this helps! BTW, this info comes from the owners manual of my own 686P.
Old January 28, 2005, 11:35 PM   #4
U.F.O.

Damn vitesse9. I've gotta start reading those owner's manuals. Thx. to both you guys for the advice. I'll work on your suggestions this weekend.

U.F.O.
Old January 28, 2005, 11:52 PM   #5
txinvestigator

IMO, if you are shooting high/right at 8 yards there are a couple of causes.

Anticipating recoil is probably NOT a reason, as that usually causes low/left for right handed shooters.

It could be the sights off, it could be you are allowing the front sight too high (my guess). And you could be pulling the trigger with your finger, allowing the barrel to move the right as you do so.

You could also have someone else shoot the gun at the same distance to see what type of pattern they get.

Good luck
Old January 29, 2005, 12:06 AM   #6
U.F.O.

tx. Could this gun be set-up for 6:00 and I'm trying to shoot center/bullseye?

U.F.O.
Old January 29, 2005, 12:15 AM   #7
txinvestigator

I think so. I notice on my S&W revolver I have a tendency to shoot a little high too. I put a dot of liquid paper on the front sight so I can pick it up better. It seems to help. Or does yours already have the orange insert?

It COULD be the sight, but like vitesse9 wrote, eliminate other causes first.

Try shooting it single action also, and see how your groups look.
Old January 29, 2005, 12:21 AM   #8
U.F.O.

10/4 tx. I'm all over it. If this gun is factory sighted for 6:00, I'll have to re-sight it as my natural tendency is to have sights level to POI. Thx. I'll get my range boss to help me sight it this weekend.

U.F.O.
Old January 29, 2005, 01:54 AM   #9
Ninjato

My wife has the same gun and she set it up for POA/POI at 15 yrds. It is pretty much straight on but w/ a short sight radius, your errors will show up more drastically.
S&W 686-4 7shot 6"
S&W Walther PPKS Gold Premier .380
Old January 29, 2005, 08:21 AM   #10
beenthere

Slightly high right

Perhaps we're visualizing the same thing and just using different words. If you go to www.Makarov.com , and look at the analysis target for right handed shooters, there is a target broken into 9 segments, which show shot placement for common problems. Most of us, myself included, find it pretty easy over time to develop little quirky things in our shooting habits. A left handed shooter would have to look at the segments in a reversed position. This target explaination has been around for many years in different publications.

From the way you describe it as slightly high right it doesn't sound as if you have a BIG problem, whether it's with you or with the sights. Make sure you are wearing hearing protection when you do the test to make sure there is as little distraction as possible.

Good luck and keep enjoying
Old January 29, 2005, 09:24 PM   #11
Derius_T

According to the corrective targets, and taining targets that I have, for a
right handed shooter to be shooting high right, is generally because of:

1. Heeling (pushing with heel of hand)
2. Slack Grip (too forgiving a grip)
3. Anticipating Recoil

Or a combination of the above......