The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 3, 2001, 11:02 AM   #1
mini14jac

Autos not as accurate as revolvers?

Help me out here guys.

The guys that I work with maintain that no auto can shoot as accurately as a revolver.
I stated that if you bought 2 over-the-counter guns, 1 auto, 1 revolver, on average the auto would be just as accurate.
However, if you wanted to fine tune your gun, and the sky was the limit on cost, you could spend a fortune on both guns and the auto could still keep up.

So, am I full of baloney?
I don't really have any facts to back up what I said, but one moron here is continually bashing auto pistols, and I guess I snapped.

All thoughts welcome; facts in support of my claim very welcome.

Thanks,
JP ><>
Old October 3, 2001, 11:14 AM   #2
bluetoe

Most competition guns are modified autos.

When I first started shooting I was better with a revolver than an auto. As I got better proficiency I could hit with an auto just as well as a revolver.

I guess it's just a matter of preference, like 9mm or .45, it's whatever you feel comfortable with.
Old October 4, 2001, 06:01 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

IMNSLE

Revolvers come from the box more accurate.
Enough money makes autos more accurate (Bullseye guns are autos).

In my collection all my guns are accurate, with a 1911, 2 GP100's, and 4 Redhawks being pretty close (with select ammo). I have a 9x19 that's just behind these in ultimate accuracy (we're talking groups of .3-1.2").

Your results may vary.
Old October 4, 2001, 10:38 AM   #4
stick

New handguns of reasonable size from reputable manufacturers (Glock, Colt, S&W,...) using quality (not match ammo) out shoot the owners. This is regardless of revolver or auto. Exceptions made for top competitors and those who can win a soda from them at the range.

As to which is more accurate out-of-the-box: autos. Think about the .22LR Hammerlis, Walthers, Pardinis, etc. Never seen too many revolvers at the open bullseye matches.

If you loosen up the requirements to allow modifications, please specify the game/purpose. Again the autos dominate most competitions (IPSC, IDPA, Bianchi, National matches,...). Noted expection: Jerry Micklek(sp?) who can do just about anything with his revolver. However, at extended the ranges most autos do not run an apropriate cartridge for long range. Accuracy here goes to the revolver.
Old October 5, 2001, 03:27 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

Good point.