The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 31, 2014, 04:35 PM   #1
timgd

questions about plated bullets

I was given 500+ .357 dia. copper plated lead round nose bullets but I have not found any load data for them. The only thing I have found said to use data for a plain lead round nose bullet. Is this right or is there something more I need to know?
Also some of them are missing patches of the wax lubricant. What type of wax do I need to use to fix them?
I am new to reloading and have much to learn.
Tim
Old March 31, 2014, 04:53 PM   #2
g.willikers

Plated bullets are generally smooth sided without lube grooves.
But assuming yours do have a place for the lube, it takes, (you guessed it), bullet lube.
Here's a recipe for making some:
http://www.ehow.com/way_5542178_home...llet-lube.html

As for the loading data, call the manufacturer to make sure.
Loading them using mid range lead bullet loads will probably do, though.
And go easy on the crimp, so as not to damage the plating.

If you have any other questions, just ask.
We can confuse you as well as anyone else.
Old March 31, 2014, 04:55 PM   #3
Gadawg88

More information could be helpful. Are you loading them to use in a .357 mag or in 38 sp? If 38 sp no problems. Most copper plated bullets are loaded in between lead and fmj charges. You can start with low end lead data and work your way up 0.2 gn at a time to mid range jacketed charge till you find what you like. If for .357 mag they may not be ideal particularly if you want full power like factory mag loads. You start to worry about plating separating and crimping can be an issue. .357 mag factory loads use jacketed bullets with a good roll crimp to hold the bullet in place under harsh recoil. Using a roll crimp on plated bullets can cut into the plating causing issues. You can taper crimp them, but It may not hold so beware of the issue.

What brand of bullet are they? Some platted bullets have thicker plating than others and can be pushed a little harder. I know not of what you speak regarding wax on plated bullets. That's a new one for me.
Old March 31, 2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
copper plated lead round nose
Sounds like a semi-jacket and I have yet to see a plated bullet that was not fully plated. Sure they are not 38's? Or are they plated or jacketed? Or are they just cast? Do you mean they have a gas check? If your not sure post a picture if you can.
Old March 31, 2014, 06:52 PM   #5
steve4102

Plated bullets do not have Lube and lube grooves. They look and feel like a Jacketed bullet.

Got a Picture?
Old March 31, 2014, 08:07 PM   #6
timgd

plated bullets

I will try to cover all ?. No idea who made them. generic box. Fully plated I cut one apart and the copper is way to thin to be jacketed. Retired machinist I know plating. .357 dia., .687 high, weight 158 grn. Bullet has groove for the lube and a crimp groove .375 in. from the base. I will be loading .38 spl.

no luck attaching pic.
Old April 1, 2014, 01:58 AM   #7
Wreck-n-Crew

Oh full plate and 38, no worries you can load them up to cast data. Just watch your crimp , as you noticed they are softer than regular cast or FMJ and a light crimp will suffice for low pressure, low velocity .38 special.

What powder are you using/ have access to? I have some published data from a few sources beyond the Powder manufacturers. I am sure others here do as well.
Old April 1, 2014, 11:48 AM   #8
timgd

.38 spl

Right now I only have Unique and Bullseye they seemed like a good pistol powders for general use. There is load data for all 5 cal. I have dies for. I will expand the selection as I learn more.
Old April 1, 2014, 05:08 PM   #9
snolden

There are some warnings about plating coming off at high velocities (above 1200-1300 fps IIRC). I have loaded right up to that velocity in 9mm with Berry's plated 124 gr .356 bullets.

This is probably not a worry for you, but might save some head scratching later on.