The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 23, 2009, 11:50 PM   #1
attila787

Lee factory crimp .45 ACP

Well thanks for the help so far I have a hundred of sierra .308 ready to go. Now I'm trying to finish up some .45 ACP. However, I'm a little confused I now know that some people crimp and others do not when it comes to rifle ammo, but what about pistol ammo?

I have the Lee factory crimp die and trying to finish up some speer TMJ 185 grain, but I'm a little confused. Should I crimp these? They are not cranuler bullets....so should I?...and If I do how do I know how much crimp I need? Any pics????
Old August 23, 2009, 11:58 PM   #2
Randy 1911

Yes you need to crimp. The main purpose is to remove the bell at the case mouth. I crimp until the diameter of the case mouth is 0.470. It gives me good feeding and no problems what so ever.
Old August 24, 2009, 06:58 AM   #3
flinch444

The factory crimp die also re-sizes the finished round, which will take out that occasional case bulge from a bullet that didnt seat straight.
I use factory crimp dies for everything I load.
Old August 24, 2009, 08:19 AM   #4
mongoose33

The use of the word "crimp" is probably an unfortunate historical artifact, because it confuses what needs to be done w/ a straightwalled .45 ACP cartridge (and others as well) with what needs to be done w/ rifle cartridges.

For those straightwalled cartridges, it probably should be called something like the "de-belling" die because, as Randy says above, that's really all it's for (unless you use the FCD which also resizes the case, and which I've found is generally a good thing).
Old August 24, 2009, 09:28 AM   #5
CrustyFN

Quote:
The factory crimp die also re-sizes the finished round, which will take out that occasional case bulge from a bullet that didnt seat straight.
I use factory crimp dies for everything I load.
The FCD will only size a case that is out of spec. I have only had my FCD's size two cases out of thousands of rounds loaded. It is better to set the dies up right than to count on the FCD to fix a problem, just thought that was worth mentioning for someone new. I use a FCD for every caliber I load.

Rusty
Old August 24, 2009, 10:05 AM   #6
Atticus Thraxx

Your right mongoose.Gonna start using the term de-belling instead of crimping myself.Good idea.

Looking for K98 bolt #5954 and K98 bolt #31942 for trade. DM me if you have a match. Prizes will be awarded!
Old August 24, 2009, 12:29 PM   #7
crnook

I use the FCD on my 45 ACP.

I find that if I am loading HP's if I seat and crimp in the same operation sometimes the nose of the bullet gets rounded a little (crimp set at .469") with the supplied flat nose seating ram.

I have also found that the Lee FCD re-sizes a lot of the Independence stamped Brass on the first go around. I don't know if they are slightly over sized or what but there is a lot more resistance running them through the die than any other brand. If I seat and crimp with my RCBS die on the Independence brass I will get the occasional FTF.
Old August 24, 2009, 01:54 PM   #8
QBall45

Yes.

I seat and crimp seperaty. I load almost strictly lead. By crimping seperately, I eliminate shaving lead that tends to happen if seating and crimping with the same die.

Yep, I use LEE's factopry crimp die.
Old August 25, 2009, 07:47 PM   #9
poline

To CRUSTYFN

Better to set dies up right than to depend on FC . Can u elaborate other than what u have already said in more detail? U say the FC sizes the bullet that was not seated properly.....does this mean that the depth was incorrect? Does this that the fulllength sizeing die was not set up correctly? NEW AT THIS!
Old August 25, 2009, 08:27 PM   #10
Blue

Crimp 45 Automatic Colt Pistol

FCD puts an excellent taper "crimp" and is very reliable. I have one particular bullet where I use my RCBS seat and crimp on in one step (My favorite) I use the FCD as a separate step for bullets I don't load that many of.

I use FCD for 9mm, too.

Great tool.
Old August 25, 2009, 09:09 PM   #11
CrustyFN

Quote:
Can u elaborate other than what u have already said in more detail? U say the FC sizes the bullet that was not seated properly.....does this mean that the depth was incorrect? Does this that the fulllength sizing die was not set up correctly? NEW AT THIS!
What I meant was that if a person is getting a lot of rounds that won't chamber rather than depend on the FCD to just fix them all it would be better to find what the problem is and correct it before it gets to the FCD. Mostly new reloaders might not have their sizing die set to touch the shell holder or they might have the seat/crimp die set wrong and the case is bulging. It would be better to adjust those dies right and let the FCD just fix the rare problem. Also bad brass like Amerc will usually cause problems and need to be fixed in the FCD, that's why all Amerc goes in my recycle bucket. I don't think fixing a round once in a while is a bad thing but letting it fix most of what somebody is reloading is a bad habit to get into, just my opinion. I use FCD's for all the calibers I load and think they do a good job.

Rusty
Old August 25, 2009, 09:24 PM   #12
kwells6

why dont you try a roll crimp if the bullets desired have a cannelur (not sure of spelling)? thats why i do with my lee set
Old August 25, 2009, 09:28 PM   #13
Alleykat

You don't roll-crimp straightwall semi-auto cases.
Old August 25, 2009, 09:30 PM   #14
kwells6

i beg to differ... flare the case out a little and when you set the round, it will crimp into the cann... however its spelled. if its not roll crimping, what is it called?
Old August 26, 2009, 10:34 AM   #15
poline

To CRUSTYFN

thank you,very much.
Old August 27, 2009, 11:19 AM   #16
1tfl

I only load 200gr H&G #68 style cast bullets in 45ACP.
I seat and debell (crimp) in two separate stages.
I just make sure the bullet seats correctly and the case wall is debelled correctly and I never have feed reliability issues in my Colt, Glock or Sig.
I don't see the need to start to use the Lee FCD now.
Old August 27, 2009, 01:38 PM   #17
CrustyFN

Quote:
I seat and debell (crimp) in two separate stages.
I don't see the need to start to use the Lee FCD now.
The reason to use the FCD is the exact reason you seat and crimp in separate steps. The FCD is a crimp die. I buy the Lee four die sets. They come with the FCD. I like to seat and crimp in separate steps also thats why I use the FCD.
Old August 27, 2009, 08:36 PM   #18
Sport45

Quote:
i beg to differ... flare the case out a little and when you set the round, it will crimp into the cann... however its spelled. if its not roll crimping, what is it called?
.45acp headspaces on the case mouth. If it is rolled into a bullet cannelure (not often seen on bullets made for acp) it will try to chamber too deep and will headspace on the extractor.

You can use a roll crimp on .45AR and .45acp if used in a revolver where the rounds headspace off the rim or moonclip.

A taper crimp is called for with .45acp. Just enough to remove the belling as has been stated. The mouth of the case needs to be proud of the bullet a bit for headspacing.
Old August 27, 2009, 08:50 PM   #19
Sidewinder72

I also seat bullet and crimp in separate steps. I do use F.C. for 45acp and the 9mm. More reliable feeding in 45 hollow points. Just like new factory loads but better and more accurate.
Old August 28, 2009, 04:00 PM   #20
Alleykat

Quote:
45acp headspaces on the case mouth. If it is rolled into a bullet cannelure (not often seen on bullets made for acp) it will try to chamber too deep and will headspace on the extractor.

You can use a roll crimp on .45AR and .45acp if used in a revolver where the rounds headspace off the rim or moonclip.

A taper crimp is called for with .45acp. Just enough to remove the belling as has been stated. The mouth of the case needs to be proud of the bullet a bit for headspacing.