The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 14, 2012, 09:21 PM   #26
rbernie

Quote:
Yes, but now you've got to sort by primer size... what a bother.
Actually, it's not all that bad on my 550B. I just stop when I hit resistance seating a primer and swap out the SP case for an extra LP case that I sized at the end of the last run.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:20 PM   #27
Misssissippi Dave

The small primer in .45 cases is a bit of a pain. At least for me, I have only three brands of brass I have been using. Winchester, RWS and Federal. The Federal brass head stamp is very easy to see compared to the other two. I just sort out the Federal. Once I have 1 or 2 thousand of those Federal cases I will be loading them.

I run a Dillon and loading .45 with a small primer will save me from switching the primer parts when I do a caliber change. I have been thinking about getting a Square Deal press just for .45 large primers. It seems to be as good an excuse as I can come up with to add a press.
Old May 15, 2012, 06:30 AM   #28
billtheshrink

small primers

I learned that BLAZER brass has small primer and will not work with large primers, also FEDERAL, Winchester NT. Are there others I should watch out for?
thanks guys
Old May 15, 2012, 07:42 AM   #29
excelerater

ehhh small primer 45.......

I hate when im reloading and my press jams because of a small primer case
got mixed in....Not a fan of them.......
Old May 17, 2012, 03:20 AM   #30
poline

( Who knows, in time the large primer may be phased out )............You mean as in all large primers.... 45colt, 454, 44mag, .480Hornandy?
Old May 17, 2012, 04:30 PM   #31
wncchester

Use large or small primers as needed, it won't make any difference in effect.
Old May 17, 2012, 05:19 PM   #32
skyfire1

Thanks zippy13 you said this wonderfully.
I'm offended when all of a sudden a familiar pound container has only 14-oz of product. I fell just as ripped-off if it's gun powder or coffee. They are quick to label their containers with: New and Improved. But, I've never seen: Same Price - Less Product.
Old May 17, 2012, 05:43 PM   #33
moxie

First, there is no substantive difference. They both shoot the same.
Second, it's no big deal reloading them. Just save enough of the small primer cases until you have a big enough batch. Don't throw them away! The charge weight is the same. The ONLY difference is the primer itself.
Third, Those small primer rounds have, if you look closely, a slight concavity or "dishing" on the bases. This indicates those were actually loaded on the Speer line (Speer and Federal now being part of ATK). Have you checked the boxes to see where they were made?
Finally, looking closely again, there is no military crimp on the small primer rounds. And you wouldn't expect to see any as milspec calls for large primer. And none on the large primer rounds either.

They are all good!

Hope that helps.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old May 20, 2012, 06:03 PM   #34
ronz

Crap I had some of them and just thought they were 45gap so gave them away
It’s been a few months but should I try to get ahold of the guy in case he didn’t notice?
Old May 20, 2012, 07:40 PM   #35
zippy13

Quote:
First, there is no substantive difference. They both shoot the same...
I don't think the problem is that they changed the primers; but, it was done without changing the packaging and reference number. IMHO, it shows Federal's indifference to the reloading community. Perhaps their tech boys should be flooded with calls asking, "Which primers should I use to reload your WM5233 45 Auto cases?"