The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Do you think the color of your carry gun matters?
Yes, I could see it playing a role. 33 25.38%
No, it would not have any impact. 84 64.62%
I'm not sure if it would or not. 13 10.00%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 29, 2015, 05:22 AM   #26
dahermit

Quote:
This kind of logic is 100% urban myth. There is zero legal basis that I am aware of.
It is not a matter of legality, the question has to do with sociology and the personalities (prejudices, etc. of the jury members), and how easily they they may be influenced to turn a mole hill into a mountain.
Old July 29, 2015, 05:51 AM   #27
45_auto

The logic that could play into the "evil" or "non-evil" cosmetic characteristics of a gun's color is the same logic that bans certain semi-auto rifles based on cosmetic features (pistol grips, flash suppressors, collapsible stocks, etc) that have NOTHING to do with their function as weapon.

Anyone who doubts that it exists has been living under a rock for the past 25 years or so.
Old July 29, 2015, 06:46 AM   #28
armedleo

So, I should probably cancel my order for a silencer?
Old July 29, 2015, 09:38 AM   #29
Ibmikey

Make my next pistol order chicken yellow!
Old July 29, 2015, 09:51 AM   #30
t4terrific

It doesn't matter what color the gun is, as long as it's black.
Old July 29, 2015, 10:35 AM   #31
Double Naught Spy

No, I don't think it matters. That isn't to say that the opposing attorney won't try to make it matter, but of course s/he is going to try to make anything and everything matter, whether it does or not.
Old July 29, 2015, 11:20 AM   #32
Lopti

I think it just depends on the jury to be honest... so there is not straight up yes or no.

There are certain things that I personally avoid, for example for a while on my Glock which is my conceal carry I replaced the back plate with a plate that had a confederate flag on it. Unlike many believe this is not a symbol of racism I see it is a freedom of individual states from the federal government.

However because I know many see it as a racist thing I changed it to the normal backplate simply because if I ever do have to use my gun and the person happens to be of another race that can look bad to some jury members.
Old July 29, 2015, 11:54 AM   #33
mk70ss

The last thing I would worry about if someone was pointing a gun at me, would be the color.
Old July 29, 2015, 12:48 PM   #34
Sharkbite

Quote:
I replaced the back plate with a plate that had a confederate flag on it
I see that as a potential issue. Shoud you then need to use that gun against a Black guy, im sure the opposing counsel would use that to paint you as a racist. That could make the defense of the shooting more difficult.

Same with a backplate with a Swastika and a shooting involving a Jewish attacker.

As would engraving "kill em all" on the slide...but the base color of the pistol?? I dont think so
Old July 29, 2015, 03:16 PM   #35
armedleo

Speaking of juries, if you think you're ever gonna find yourself in front of one I'd also be mindful of the bumper stickers I have on my car if I were you.
Old July 29, 2015, 04:48 PM   #36
TunnelRat

Oh man. We can "what if" this until the cow come home.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 29, 2015, 05:40 PM   #37
orionengnr

It makes no sense for me (or anyone else) to base my carry decisions on what someone who has no grasp on logic or reason thinks.

That is equivalent to asking someone to predict tomorrow's weather in Peru when they have zero understanding of what or where Peru is.
Old July 29, 2015, 07:04 PM   #38
Sharkbite

Im going to only wear WHITE hats from now on. Everybody knows only good guys wear white hats (and BAD guys wear black ones).

That way i'll never have to be involved in a shooting wearing a black hat, cause that would show me to be a BAD guy
Old July 29, 2015, 08:00 PM   #39
Sequins

Sharkbite, that is literally what I am proposing. I think a guy in a suit does better than a guy in a tshirt when we're in court. I bet guys with visible tattoos are incarcerated at a higher rate than clean skinned folks as well. Appearances might be the only thing that matters in court.

I recently participated in a mock trial for a law student friend of mine and they ran the same exact factual case every year for every class, it was a full trial from jury selection, to testimony, to closing statements, to verdict. As a juror I saw everything a real juror would see, my role was as a juror.

Again this case was run with 100% the same set of facts for years and years, the judge who presided has taught for like 10 years minimum. I asked him if we, as the jury, made the right decision and he said there was no right decision and that that case went 50/50 through the years with different arguments used every time. I emphasize again, strongly, that the facts available never changed from year to year, only the advocates and the jurors.
Old July 29, 2015, 08:19 PM   #40
Glenn E. Meyer

Endless debate based - please read

Jury Decision Making: The State of the Science (Psychology and Crime) Paperback – August 6, 2012
by Dennis Devine (Author)

Forensic and Legal Psychology: Psychological Science Applied to Law , 2nd Edition 2nd Edition
by Mark Costanzo (Author), Daniel Krauss (Author)

to get a handle on jury processes.

The individual appearance of anything might set off a juror against you or for you.

Might gun color do it - unless during voir dire - your advocated is wearing a Galactic Patrol lens - you might not know.
Old July 29, 2015, 10:45 PM   #41
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know about a jury, but I bet the cops would have a lot of fun with that shocking pink pistol with the baby blue grips.

Jim
Old July 30, 2015, 12:09 AM   #42
Stringfellow

Tunnelrat and Orion summed things up best.

Other than that, you can't account for every last smidgen of possibility. And that includes what a prosecutor/DA might bring up. A good lawyer doesn't just bring up all possible risks, but they also tell you which ones are worth worrying about and which ones aren't.

You are free to guide yourself by whatever probabilities you fear most. But all else being equal, I would not worry about the color of your gun.

I would, however, buy a pink pistol if the discount were enough. Perhaps even Sig Diamond Plate or Rainbow.

Last edited by Stringfellow; July 30, 2015 at 12:24 AM.
Old July 30, 2015, 12:12 AM   #43
Stringfellow

Now that I am thinking about it, I probably would not buy this though:

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-b-40...mited-edition/

Some things are just wrong, whether legal or not.
Old July 30, 2015, 01:29 AM   #44
dnsharpshooter

I'll start by saying I didn't read all the posts in this thread, so what I'm saying might have already been said, but this is my view on it.

Overall, I am going to vote yes, it MIGHT make a difference.

Starting with general carry, especially with open carry, I don't want a flashy gun that will draw alot of attention. I normally carry my PT940; it happens to be the model with the gold accents and pearl grips. Unless I'm going to the range, the pearl grips stay in the box and the gun wears standard black rubber grips.

In a legal situation where a jury is involved, I can see maybe some jury members being slightly influenced by the color/appearance of the gun. Some people may view an all-black handgun as scary or intimidating, while maybe a little revolver with pink grips comes across "softer," perhaps even "cute."

This will obviously vary with the demographic; I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this question.
Old July 30, 2015, 03:59 AM   #45
Ibmikey

Dnsharpshooter, You should read the threads and see how ludicrous the issue is (check post by Orion).
Old July 30, 2015, 04:56 AM   #46
4040peters

All I can say is that it will become an issue if it is made into an issue and there is no way of predicting beforehand whether or not it will be. The possibility also exists that the color of a weapon will be considered by a jury, even if it is not brought up in trial.
Old July 30, 2015, 07:03 AM   #47
TunnelRat

Quote:
Some people may view an all-black handgun as scary or intimidating
At which point any decent lawyer could point out the fact that the vast majority of production handguns are black or at most two tone.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 30, 2015, 07:19 AM   #48
ferrarif1fan

I only carry black pistols. I carry IWB and think that black probably doesn't stick out as much if my shirt were to ride up and give someone a flash view of it.
Old July 30, 2015, 08:29 AM   #49
rtpzwms

as long as it is a production firearm that has not been modified I can't see them focusing on it at all.
Old July 30, 2015, 09:49 AM   #50
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
At which point any decent lawyer could point out the fact that the vast majority of production handguns are black or at most two tone.
Yes - but that assumes a juror is sympathetic to production handguns. You just said that most guns are designed to look evil. In fact, I can come up with an article in a product design magazine discussing the aesthetics of semi-auto handguns that makes them look dangerous.

Look, you don't know unless you read the mind of the juror. If the prosecution says ABC and then you try to rebut it - you might just make the jury pay more attention.

That's been found when someone objects and the judge says to ignore it. Some jurors pay more attention and think the point must be reasonable if the defendant (who is probably guilty anyway) is having a fit about it.

One really should read up before expounding that is or that won't have an effect or you as a non-expert claim this or that is a good strategy.