The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 6, 2015, 01:01 AM   #51
Limnophile

I bought three of my CZs online, from two dealers, two new and one milsurp, and was happy with all transactions. With a commodity gun local gun shops will likely have then in stock; if so, I'd buy locally after handling the particular gun. But, if you want something that's not stocked in your area, you'll likely have to buy online.
Old June 6, 2015, 09:44 AM   #52
Mauser69

I Buy Online 'Cause I Have Few Choices

After moving to a very rural area I find almost no choices for local purchase, so I started searching for online options.

My first purchase was through Buds - it was mostly OK. I did get the gun, but the plastic factory case had a broken latch (could not have happened in shipping). It wasn't a big deal, but in my opinion it showed inherent dishonesty for them to not have disclosed that. There was also another minor issue with condition. I accepted the gun and filled out a mostly positive review of my purchase on Buds web site - I did not bad-mouth them in any way - didn't even say "dishonest" like I do now, just a passing mention of the two minor issues that I felt should have been disclosed before the purchase. And the dishonest creeps at Buds chose to EDIT my review to remove those factual comments and leave the rest! At that point I decided they could never be trusted with my business again.

I have since made two more purchases through Grabagun. I find their prices great and their honesty impeccable.
Old June 6, 2015, 06:07 PM   #53
JC57

I bought two guns through Gunbroker, using a local FFL who does a small business out of his home, rather than a gun shop. No problems at all with the transactions or the guns.

I have bought two through Gungenie, which I picked up at local gun shops. No problems there either.
Old June 6, 2015, 06:16 PM   #54
tsillik

Bought a 92S from SOG never had a problem, was exactly as described. Terry
Old June 6, 2015, 07:24 PM   #55
redrick

I have bought a few guns online . My experience has been , if you use your credit card & pay the extra 3% , you get gun within a week . If you pay with a check , it takes twice as long .

I ordered a gun from buds on 05-22-15 & it arrived at my FFL on 06-04-15 , but I can't pick it up until 06-08-15 , because my FFL dealer is at a gun show . It's ok because I am not in a hurry .
Old June 6, 2015, 10:12 PM   #56
Doc Holliday 1950

buy on line

I bought my Ruger GP 100 4.2 inch 357 mag from Buds. It was a very good experience, clean and uncomplicated. I tried to buy the same plus a new Ruger
LCR 357 with two of my local gun shops and it was like dealing with a Pawn Brokers.
Sleazy and BS. I went back to Buds and got a very fair exchange for my trade ins vs. purchasing a revolver that they have. The price was $110 less and they actually allowed me at my local CS, and what I thought was fair price for my trade ins.
I wanted to do business with a small company that was local because it's a healthy economic transaction for a local vendor and for everyone it's a win win situation. Well, they actually offered me half of what I already had negotiated
with Buds. My advice is to research the dickens out of what you want to purchase. Don't be afraid to question their Quote".
regards,
Doc
Old June 8, 2015, 03:15 PM   #57
Maverick36

Quote:
My first purchase was through Buds - it was mostly OK. I did get the gun, but the plastic factory case had a broken latch.
And the dishonest creeps at Buds chose to EDIT my review to remove those factual comments and leave the rest!
That's the kind of stuff that made me start this thread Mauser69.

Most people have no issues with Bud's and that is great, but editing reviews to keep your record spotless is just wrong.
If you are a good retailer you don't edit reviews,you let them stand as written and respond to the issue.
That way customers and future customers know you care.
Old June 8, 2015, 04:13 PM   #58
Tin Foil

@Maverick36,

If you know what you truly want online can be good and save some money.
However having said that I got weird vibes about Buds. Came within minutes myself but am happy I never inserted my credit card information and pulled out.

Bought from an even older and well known place in North Carolina. A few bucks more but no regrets except the FFL transfer stuck it to me good by making me wait a week and only later finding out because he had never done business with me and not cause the Feds put hold on it. Had to drive another 50 + miles a week later to pick it up. And still got his transfer fee out of me. Suffice to say it won't happen again. I also have bought from local big box, that sucked but it was convenient.

Next place I buy online will be from Davidson's Gun Gallery. (which I should have been using all along live and learn as they say) And they'll ship it right to the range I use. Which is over 80 miles round trip, but no b.s. from them and me thinks I get a free day at the range.

Good luck and I hope you get what you pay for. If you are going by hickok45 YouTube channel understand he is now sponsored by Buds as well as quite a few others. Point is when you get free stuff sometimes credibility goes out the window.
Old June 10, 2015, 08:07 PM   #59
Doc Holliday 1950

Just traded some old Taurus and Rossi's for a LCR 357 mag with CT grips from Buds online. They gave me double what any of the dealers here would. The staff was courteous, honest and accommodating. My second buy in 4 months.
IMHO, I will not buy anything from a local dealer, new, ever.
Don't trust them. It's worse than Pawn.
Hope your experience goes like mine. My first post was during the negotiating phase. This post refers to the post purchase.
Respectfully,
Doc et al.
Old June 11, 2015, 03:10 PM   #60
redrick

I just received a Colt 1911 that I bought online . I saved $262 from buying local . It does have a stain on the hammer . No big deal , I think I can polish it off , if I would have seen it @ my LGS , I would have asked to see another one . I didn't want to send it back just for the stain and then have to wait again so I accepted it .
Old July 7, 2015, 05:15 PM   #61
Maverick36

Ordered from Grabagun.com

Hi Guys,
thanks again for all the input.
I ordered a Walther PPQ M2 from Grabagun ($529) on Monday 7.6.15.
It was shipped the same day and arrived at my FFL today, Tuesday 7.7.15 at 10 am.
Just got a call that it is ready for pickup 4 pm .
Will pick it up tomorrow morning since I have range time scheduled anyway.
You can't ask for a better,faster transaction,assuming there is nothing wrong with a new gun out of the box.
Gun was ,as expected,flawless and a 2015 (BF marking) built.

Last edited by Maverick36; July 8, 2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: update
Old July 7, 2015, 11:05 PM   #62
DanTSX

Depends on expectations, terms, and reputation.

If you are buying a generic Glock and Wesson Plastic 9mm, there is virtually zero risk in buying online. But you may not even save much money.

Usually when buying guns, once you own it, it's between you and the manufacturer, so the dealer has little to do with support anyways unless he chooses to offer the value for buying his guns if you need it.

Buying oddball, rare, or poorly described guns with difficult to deal with manufactureres opens the buyer up to all sorts of headaches.

Read reputations of dealers and sellers. You'll be surprised at the lengths some online sellers will go through to keep their customers happy.

I buy online mainly for C&R items and police trade-ins. The dealers have solid reputations, and if you are honest and realistic about your expectations, the seller will be in line with yours. The process is a piece of cake. I still like buying in gun stores though, but when a batch of police trade in pistols come up for sale, or C&R tha I'm after comes up, I'm notified and in on the first orders.

Difficulties in buying online go up as item value, complexity, rarity, and possibility of being cloned goes up. It all comes down to reputation, reputation, reputation, even more so than local gun stores IMO.
Old July 7, 2015, 11:13 PM   #63
Doc Holliday 1950

Hi Maverick,
I also am 2 for 2 using Buds. I carefully researched my two purchases and then went online looking for the best deal with the best company. I too found Buds in KY.
On one of my purchases it was a straight deal. on the other, it involver a trade in and they not only gave me the best trade in $$$, but honored their evaluation 100%. Sent to my FLL and pd. $35 .00 It was worth it. The GS's here in Nashville are like dealing with Pawn shops which I do not like. Some PS's are okay, but not here. Got 2 x's trade in from Buds over the best at any GS here.
Hope this helped. Cheapshooter"s very knowledgeable and I'd trust his recommendations 100%.
Doc
Old July 8, 2015, 07:28 AM   #64
Skans

I buy the majority of my guns online; many off of Gunbroker. However, I recently passed up a Smith 627 that I really wanted for about $800 because the seller had no feedback. Also, the description was too professional for an individual seller. It looked like he copied it from somewhere. Too many red flags - so I passed and don't regret passing on this one one bit.
Old July 9, 2015, 09:54 PM   #65
Sequins

I just bought a gun from Davidson's "Gallery of Guns" and it was a ruger super blackhawk. It looks great, feels great, I love it. I'm going to shoot it this weekend and I'll post again if something goes wrong.

At this point I'd recommend buying new online through a reputable source like davidsons.
Old July 10, 2015, 01:32 PM   #66
dyl

I've had no problems with Buds.

I've decided that if it's in the ballpark of 50-$70 of the store, I'd rather get it from the store. FFL fees are at least $25 for me so far and there's waiting. Plus, I'd get to inspect and try the trigger. If there are several I'd get to choose the "best" of the bunch, or at least feel like I did. I'd surely pay for that.

I got lucky with Buds, bought 1 used, bought 1 new. Even bought an old SKS elsewhere online but couldn't tell what it looked like before I got the cosmoline off. I didn't appreciate the pitting in the receiver cover given "hand picked" but I learned my lesson.
Old July 10, 2015, 03:48 PM   #67
Maverick36

I decided against Bud's only because of the Credit Card up-charge.
I think in this day and age, if you want to do business on the Internet,you have to treat a Credit Card the same as Cash or Check.

FFL fee is only $15 for me and $7 for the background check.Nobody local came within $120 of the deal I got.

I only buy new and I buy to shoot not to collect.
Based on the experience I had with grabagun in Texas I will buy there in the future.
Old July 10, 2015, 04:34 PM   #68
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
You do know that you are still responsible to pay those sales taxes.
You're assuming all states / municipalities operate the same and have sales taxes. They don't so your comment is not applicable to all sales in every state.
Old July 10, 2015, 06:49 PM   #69
DanTSX

You have to pay for your own background check?

Is that in some liberal state? I'm in CT and we don't have that. id rather pay a cc surcharge than a background check fee, that's for sure.
Old July 10, 2015, 08:03 PM   #70
DA/SA Fan

Quote:
I think in this day and age, if you want to do business on the Internet,you have to treat a Credit Card the same as Cash or Check
They typically have the best prices meaning that their profit margins are slimmer. Credit card companies charge a fee to sellers. You would prefer that they raise the price for non credit card customers too?
Old July 11, 2015, 08:53 AM   #71
osbornk

Quote:
I think in this day and age, if you want to do business on the Internet,you have to treat a Credit Card the same as Cash or Check.
It's a choice of whether you want to pay for using a credit card or make EVERYONE pay more to assist credit card users. Many companies choose to increase the cost for everyone because many people do like you do. You should base your decision on the out the door cost.
Old July 11, 2015, 11:22 AM   #72
Maverick36

Quote:
You should base your decision on the out the door cost.
I agree, out the door cost is the bottom line, thanks for clearing that up osbornk
The Credit card up-charge made Bud's more expensive than the other retailers, and because of the up-charge the out the door cost was higher .
Same reason I buy my bulk ammo from targetsports or ammoman , shipping cost on other sites hurts their bottom line.
Old July 11, 2015, 05:12 PM   #73
Doc Holliday 1950

Sorry everyone,
You are not a business owner have have no comprehension that the credit
card companies charge the retailer anywhere from 2.75% up to 7% depending on if they offer you triple miles/triplecashback/triplethis/triplethat. Who do you think pays for their largess? Plus there are 10-15 hidden tiny charges that they weave into your end of the month statement. LOOK AT YOUR PHONE BILL SOMETIME.THERE ARE SO MANY TINY EXTRA FEES IT'S ALMOST IM[POSSIBLE TO FIGURE OUT WHAT YOUR TRUE BILL IS.
So,the retailer pays. They then have to charge you to cover that extra charge to them or they just fold it into the price of the product.
That's why different companies charge different prices for the same product.
You buy something for $1500.00 and the seller gets hit with a $90 credit card fee plus all the mickey mouse hidden fees that the business owner gets hit with, it's not worth it to to the company. If a company says same as cash using a credit card, you better believe that the credit card fees are folded into the selling price.
No matter what you think, you pay for the costs one way or another. I am sorry if what I am writing is insulting or sounds rude to you, but I hope everyone understands what I am talking about
Doc

Last edited by Doc Holliday 1950; July 11, 2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old July 11, 2015, 05:57 PM   #74
Maverick36

Quote:
You are not a business owner have have no comprehension that the credit
card companies charge the retailer anywhere from 2.75% up to 7%
Funny that you assume I am not a business owner for starters.
We run a business for 16 years,brick and mortar plus online sales.
I accept all credit cards and know what they charge, that doesn't mean I charge more for credit card users or give rebates for cash purchases.

Quote:
No matter what you think, you pay for the costs one way or another.
That's how it works and here we are at the "bottom line" again.
Just as osbornk stated,the out the door cost is what matters to me or my customers but how we get there doesn't really matter.
Old July 12, 2015, 09:00 PM   #75
DA/SA Fan

Well, if you don't give a cash discount for someone saving you money on your profit margin, I wouldn't want to shop at your place. Seems rather unfair.