The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 2, 2010, 03:42 AM   #1
Norrick

Spotting scope tripod

Could someone please suggest to me a good solid tripod for a spotting scope? Will be using from a bench, and possibly from prone. The scope is a straight body type, so I'm thinking it should be on the small side fully collapsed (prone) and not much larger than medium sized fully extended (bench).

I'd like to keep prices below $100.
Old November 13, 2010, 11:14 PM   #2
Big Caliber

Try going to a camera shop. (If they are still around.) I have a tripod I bought back in the 80's for camera work on top of tables. I stuck a "ball" head on it and it's total height ranges from 12"-18", which is just right for me for shooting from a bench. Maybe try online camera stores?
Old November 14, 2010, 10:52 AM   #3
Pahoo

Norrick
Do a history search in here as there was an identical post, just a few weeks back. As I recall, there were many replies to this question, at that time.

Be Safe !!!
Old November 14, 2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Rifleman1776

Mine is a Freeland's, once considered the best on the market. May still be, I dunno.
But, I haven't used it in many years. I found, unless the bench you are using is concrete, each shot jiggles the bench just enough so the scope goes off target. Very annoying.
I use an old, heavy duty camera tripod next to the bench. But most of my target, and bench, shooting is done with traditional muzzle loaders. That means I HAVE to get up after each shot. But, even with my bolt Mod. 70 I put it next to the bench and lean over to see my misses.
Downside to using a tripod is other shooters seem to think they are entitled to move your scope off target to look at theirs.
Old November 14, 2010, 12:58 PM   #5
woodguru

The one I got with a Vortec 20-60x 80mm spotting scope is one of the best I've seen, solid and has the smoothest little micro adjusters for height and angle. 60x has to have a great tripod or they are worthless.

I'll try to get a picture up sometime later today or tomorrow.

My guess is that Vortec has it for sale separately and it shouldn't be silly expensive.

Look up the words "Vortec, discount, distributor" and you should get one of the cheap suppliers.
Old November 14, 2010, 01:25 PM   #6
Mr Lucky

Burris makes a fully adjustable tripod for spotting scopes, Mfg. No. 300151.
It is about $68. NC Star also make them. The Medimum size, Mfg. No. ATM will meet most needs for about $18 www.gunsandsupply.com

— Abraham Lincoln
Old November 14, 2010, 06:43 PM   #7
NWPilgrim

I bought a very sturdy one made by Jim Owens. About $135.
http://www.jarheadtop.com/Stand_Pictures.htm

It can be easily adjusted for using a spotting scope in prone, sitting or standing position. I even use it sometimes to hold my CED chronograph screens.

"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison