The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 29, 2015, 08:42 PM   #1
Shinersti

Need your guidance and help! What do I have??

Newbie here....Please help me figure out what I have in my safe.

It has stamped on it:

1. "US Rock Island Arsenal Model 1903" stamped on the top of gun

2. Serial # 312184 is stamped right below that.

3. The barrel has "C123" stamped on the top and a "P" stamped on the bottom near the tip of the barrel. The barrel is about 24 1/2" long.

4. What I figure is the safety....has "Buehler" stamped on the side of it in very small font.

The gun looks fairly clean and in good shape. ( I am not new to guns, just to this particular gun)

I know the gun is a .30-06......is it safe to shoot? I have read something about brittleness and this gun being possibly dangerous?

What ammo should I shoot through the gun when I shoot it for the first time?

Would love to hear your thoughts and guidance.

Any hyperlinks out there to how to break this gun down and clean it etc.

I would like to shoot it this weekend.

Shiner
Old January 29, 2015, 09:57 PM   #2
Scorch

You have a US M1903 rifle (aka "Springfield 1903) manufactured at the Rock Island Arsenal. It has been sporterized to some extent. Pictures would help a lot.

The rifle should be fine to shoot, the "early numbers" to be careful of are below 250,000.
Old January 30, 2015, 09:55 AM   #3
Shinersti

Thanks Scorch (I am also in Wa).....yes this gun has been "sporterized"....what do the 2 stamps on the barrel indicate? (see post above)
Old January 30, 2015, 12:28 PM   #4
Shinersti

Suggestions on ammo to use?
Old January 30, 2015, 02:56 PM   #5
Buzzcook

Whatever ammo shoots best.

150gr spire point flat tails were what was used by the military. Though as the .30 cal thread shows there were some variations.
Old January 30, 2015, 03:51 PM   #6
tahunua001

you have a model 1903 springfield built at the rock island armory. the 1903 does have a reputation for brittle receivers but only rifles made at springfield with a serial number of 800,000 and earlier and rock island rifles with serial number of 285,000 and earlier are affected so yours is safe. I am thinking that it has been sporterized and likely modified to accommodate a scope. can you post pictures of the rifle as a whole and some detailed pictures of the sights and the C123 marking?
Old January 30, 2015, 05:15 PM   #7
Shinersti

Yes it has been sporterized.
Yes it does have a scope on it.
The "C 123" stamp is on the top of the barrel about mid length and the "P" is stamped near the tip of the barrel, but on the bottom of the barrel.
The previous owner said he shot it a lot, but it has been 20 years since he last shot the gun.
Any precautions or preflight checks you suggest before shooting?
I am not a .30-06 guy, is 150gr standard?
I will get some pics.

Thanks guys, I do appreciate your help.
Old January 30, 2015, 09:58 PM   #8
Blindstitch

150 grain is pretty standard. I would pull the bolt and make sure there wasn't a blockage in the barrel. Then I would go shoot it till I can't shoot anymore.

Old January 30, 2015, 11:13 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Take a look at the crown of the barrel and see if there is a mark that looks a bit like an asterisk. The reason I ask is that the number on the barrel could be a star-gauge number and the star gauge marking on the crown would confirm that. The problem is that IIRC only Springfield rifles were tested and marked with the star gauge symbol. If you confirm that the barrel has the "star", I will check further.

Jim
Old January 31, 2015, 08:17 AM   #10
highpower3006

C 123 is probably a lot code for the steel used to make the barrel. The "P" stamp means the barrel was proofed at the arsenal where it was made. Since it is a high number receiver it is safe to shoot with any modern commercial ammo.

Other than that, it is more than likely a typical budget sporter from the 50's or 60's. Too bad, because as a sporterized '03, it is worth $350 or so. If it was still in military trim it would easily be worth double or triple that.
Old January 31, 2015, 04:45 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

"...only Springfield rifles were tested and marked with the star gauge..." Yep and only rifle selected for NM use, as I recall.
"...Too bad, because as a sporterised '03..." Even moreso as it's a Rock Island. 234,000 made before 1913. Another 114,000 or so during W.W. I.
Below S/N 286,506 are unsafe. Think regular .30-06 bullet weights, but try some 168 grain match ammo.
Old January 31, 2015, 07:43 PM   #12
Shinersti

Thank you all for the info. I will let you know how the range visit goes.
Old February 1, 2015, 10:56 AM   #13
RickB

You might want to have the headspace checked.
Firing a rifle with excessive headspace can be dangerous, and it puts a lot of stress on the cartridge case even if the gun is safe to fire.
My '03 would close on a no-go gauge, but would not close on a field gauge, so it's "safe", but I limit my handloading to only a few uses per case.
Old February 6, 2015, 10:58 PM   #14
Shinersti

OK guys, after reading your advice, and preparing I took the gun to the range today.

Before leaving I cleaned it up a bit and did a few safety checks.

(Recently spoke to the previous owner....the last time the gun was shot was 1974 (41 years ago)).

Anyway, after poking holes in paper for a while with various handguns, I thought lets do this...if it blows apart it wasn't my day (after reading about all the "brittle issues" etc, I though this could be the day I meet my maker).

Anyway, I put 20 rds thru the old girl, with zero malfunctions, zero hiccups. Shot sweet! Of course I found out that a .30-06 has a smidge more kick than all of my other guns.

What a blast to shoot.

Thanks again for your help.